nadinevictoria1
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi there,
I'm really interested in studying forensic psychology after undergraduate however I am looking for university courses which offer some modules in forensic psychology as it is what I am really interested in.

Does anyone know any universities that include forensic psychology in their modules? obviously it doesn't matter what year it would be taken in as they're typically taken in Year 3 but I am just wondering.

I have noticed Kent and Reading do this but can't find any others at the moment, can anyone help?

Thanks,
Nadine
babouskha
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Are you looking for Psychology courses that have modules focused on Forensic Psychology or are you looking for a course entirely focused on Forensic Psychology?
nadinevictoria1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by babouskha)
Are you looking for Psychology courses that have modules focused on Forensic Psychology or are you looking for a course entirely focused on Forensic Psychology?
Psychology courses with modules focused on Forensic Psychology preferably as I know there aren't many courses JUST Forensic Psychology out there and hey, once I start studying I may completely change my choice in what sort of career I want to do so would like to keep my options open with just a psychology degree
Liv1204
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I know you've already mentioned Kent, but just to say, I would really, really recommend looking into Kent if you are interested in Forensic Psychology. They have a great research centre in Forensic Psychology now, particularly over the last few years, the module is really interesting (in my experience, at least!), and it would also be worthwhile if you're considering going on to an MSc in Forensic Psych.

Kent do the MSc too (I had an interview for it and was offered a place, despite having very little actual 'forensic' experience - besides one shift spent with the Met, I actually talked about my work in a nursery as relevant for some of it, so experiences really are what you make of them!), and I know, for example, that with the MSc Kent do a visit to Broadmoor, and they really recommend their MSc students going along to the courts to sit and watch where possible too.
nadinevictoria
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Liv1204)
I know you've already mentioned Kent, but just to say, I would really, really recommend looking into Kent if you are interested in Forensic Psychology. They have a great research centre in Forensic Psychology now, particularly over the last few years, the module is really interesting (in my experience, at least!), and it would also be worthwhile if you're considering going on to an MSc in Forensic Psych.

Kent do the MSc too (I had an interview for it and was offered a place, despite having very little actual 'forensic' experience - besides one shift spent with the Met, I actually talked about my work in a nursery as relevant for some of it, so experiences really are what you make of them!), and I know, for example, that with the MSc Kent do a visit to Broadmoor, and they really recommend their MSc students going along to the courts to sit and watch where possible too.
Thanks so much, that was really helpful. I definitely want to do an MSc in Forensic Psychology (atm!) but it is one area I have been interested in as it fueled my passion to study the subject at degree level! I have been reading more into Kent and it does seem very good for Psychology so fingers crossed I get an offer from there.
Stridey_xxxx
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Portsmouth do an actual undergraduate Forensic Psychology course, other than that I know Plymouth have quite a lot of research staff involved in Forensics and therefore have units on it.
Anonymous #2
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
There is a dedicated Forensic Psych course at UCLan but even if you just do straight psych you can opt for forensic modules.
liv__
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nadinevictoria1)
Hi there,
I'm really interested in studying forensic psychology after undergraduate however I am looking for university courses which offer some modules in forensic psychology as it is what I am really interested in.

Does anyone know any universities that include forensic psychology in their modules? obviously it doesn't matter what year it would be taken in as they're typically taken in Year 3 but I am just wondering.

I have noticed Kent and Reading do this but can't find any others at the moment, can anyone help?

Thanks,
Nadine
all the uni's i'm applying for have forensic psychology option modules (i think all of them do anyway) if that is relevant for you? and i've been looking at sunderland, southampton solent, staffordshire, chester, roehampton, west london. and i think the uni's in liverpool do them, i think Hope did! (if they don't do forensic psychology at some of them i'm sorry, i know some of them do criminal behaviour etc. too!!)
ECHood
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hi there,

Thanks,
Nadine
Hi there, the University of Chester have a forensic module in 2nd year.
Check it out: http://www.chester.ac.uk/undergraduate/psychology
There is an applicants day coming up early next year if you want to have a look around too!
o-glez
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I did a forensic psychology module as an option in my third year. Apart from that, we did nothing on it really. I know a few people (at LJMU) who combined psychology and criminal Justice there. Might be worth considering. Or maybe with Criminology. Or maybe they're not the same thing and I'm just being ignorant. I'd make sure, if you so a forensic psychology degree, that its BPS accredited.
IAmEchelon
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Lincoln have a forensic psychology degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shannnnnn
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hi there,

Thanks,
Nadine
Roehampton university does one, its mixed with criminal psychology too. I currently take the module and really like it so far. Its really relaxed and the lectures are informative and the lecture is convened by the head of psychology so shes really knowledgeable. We also have forensic psychologists who come in and have talks and interactive things which happen. If you want to do forensic psychology after an undergraduate psychology course, you should do your dissertation forensic psychology related because some post graduate courses ask for this
allievy
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Birmingham has a forensic psych module in 3rd year and also the option to do a 4th year of either research or practice (includes forensic) at Master's level (you actually graduate the programme as MSc but it's still an undergrad degree). I couldn't find any Master's options for forensic but they do have Centre for Forensic Psych and Criminology (I think that's what it's called) for PhD
I would like to go into Forensic after graduation too which is why I'm probably going to firm Bham, although I did get an offer from UCL aswell (oh, someone here said there is a forensic module at UCL but I found they're centered on clinical and developmental in both undergrad and postgrad so...UCL is not an option I guess?)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (79)
13.57%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (11)
1.89%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (147)
25.26%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (47)
8.08%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (280)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.09%

Watched Threads