The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE grades good enough to get me into a russell group uni?

I got my GCSE results back this summer and I'm not convinced their good enough to get me into a russell group university to study history, however i am also not sure how much they even matter, so basically can someone tell me if they mean i can't get into a russell group or oxbridge university?

History: A*
English Lit: A*
English Lang: A*
Geography: A*
PE: A*
Biology: A
Maths: B
Physics: B
Chemistry: B
German: B
Why do you worry about these great GCSE's, ok im no oxbridge admissions tutor but provided you have the grades at A level why would you not consider applying if you meet the offer. You do realise that Gcse's may play a part when giving offers if you have two students who are VERY similar i.e A Level grades achivied. As long as you improve all other aspects of your application you could potentially apply anywhere although... Oxbridge, due to the demand will be far more greater, you should be fine though just don't be blinded by the hype of Russell group and find a uni that is great for your course.
That's really good, you should be completely fine! With Oxbridge or certain courses like medicine, they take GCSE's into consideration a lot- I think you may need around 7A*s and the rest As to have a solid chance (not sure)? Unless you're considering any of these, it shouldn't affect you badly- they're great!
Reply 3
They don't tend to look at GCSE's unless you are applying for medicine etc like Sarah said. Although, I think Cambridge don't take GCSE's into heavy consideration, and for medicine I know they basically want all A's or above but people tend to do more. The rest of the Russell groups more or less don't care I think, just focus on getting fantastic A levels :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest