Dannaaay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have a question.
What are your thoughts on the novel Lolita?
It was based on a true story and is apparently the edited version of 'Humbert Humbert's' writings of his real story. Vladimir Nabokov, the genius, put it all together and produced the incredible novel that is Lolita. In my opinion, anyway
I was wondering what your views are?
I know several people who say that the novel is an abomination because of the topics that it covers, that it is disgusting. But I love it and it sounds cliched but I honestly think it is one of the greatest works of literature. I know the topic is controversial and I by no means think that the ideas in it are normal or acceptable, but are people unable to separate this from the novel itself? Admittedly sometimes I found myself rooting for HH and Lolita and had to close the book and remind myself of what I was actually reading about as the literature was just that powerful.

Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Angury
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Lolita is one of my favourite books. I actually ended up writing an essay on Paedophilia after reading this book, it made me think that much. As weird as it sounds, I was on Humbert's side for a large part of the book. It was only after I finished reading it and reflected on the story that I thought about the way the story was narrated and Lolita's point of view.
The writing is beautiful, I am a big fan of Nabaokov. I would also recommend reading some of his short stories - I am hoping to read his other novel, Ada or Ardor sometime soon as well.

Lolita is certainly a book that makes you think - it gets people talking. I also find the topic very interesting as well, so it's interesting to see the subject matter portrayed from a different perspective.
Smash Bandicoot
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Humbert is insidiously charming which makes his crime all the more twisted.
JayDu
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing an essay on it right now, based around gender roles. It's also one of my favorite novels, mainly because Nabokov's own synaesthesia shaped how he presented the story and for some reason, bar his paedophilia, I like Humbert's character!
niamhisokay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Lolita is my favourite book. While I was reading it I was seeing Humbert as the good guy and Quilty as the bad guy, but it was only when I got the last chapter of the book that I realised that they were both as bad as each other. I also did a load of research into it. It's not based on a true story, but Nabokov described one of his earlier works, The Enchanter, as 'the first throb of Lolita' (or something like that) I could talk about Lolita all day if someone would listen!
Dannaaay
Rep:
?
Same! I was rooting for Humbert and thought Quilty was just getting in the way of the love story. I kept having to remind myself that this is not an appropriate love story!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nogoodsorgods
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
Humbert is insidiously charming which makes his crime all the more twisted.
I think the opposite. If he was a charmless, ugly man who managed to seduce Lolita it would be massively more twisted.

The age of consent was once 13 - is even lower to this day in some countries and I certainly think that some girls of that age would not be harmed by a relationship with someone of Jeremy Iron's erudite ways.
Dannaaay
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nogoodsorgods)
I think the opposite. If he was a charmless, ugly man who managed to seduce Lolita it would be massively more twisted.

The age of consent was once 13 - is even lower to this day in some countries and I certainly think that some girls of that age would not be harmed by a relationship with someone of Jeremy Iron's erudite ways.
I'm not sure. I think being charming does make him more twisted. If he was openly charmless and ugly then his outer persona would be indicative of his inner self, which would make his actions more predictable. However, the way he wins people over almost made my skin crawl to think of all the people who could put up that kind of facade. However, I think everyone has different interpretations of the book and I see where you have both come from

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Great book.

I'd encourage you all to read Ben Brooks' Lolito, too.
Ciarán
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sensational. I have never read anything quite like 'Lolita' and Nabakovs writing is magnificent. I will never forget the feeling of being duped when finishing it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jotoff
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
When I actually red the book, I was quite surprised to find out it wasn't the abomination
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.72%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (67)
28.51%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (88)
37.45%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.77%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.55%

Watched Threads