The Student Room Group

X and Y axis graph scales

I need help with graphs. I want to plot some data with force(N) on the y axis and distance(mm) on the x axis. Can I plot my data with two different scales? eg every 3 blocks is 0.5 for y and every 4 blocks is 1.5 for x?

Or should i use the same scale eg every 4 blocks is 0.5 for y and every 4 blocks is 1.5 for x?

I have a really basic understanding of maths, I apoligise if this seems really obvious, I'm working hard to improve on my maths, I appreciate any help given :smile:
Original post by PickleFire
I need help with graphs. I want to plot some data with force(N) on the y axis and distance(mm) on the x axis. Can I plot my data with two different scales? eg every 3 blocks is 0.5 for y and every 4 blocks is 1.5 for x?

Or should i use the same scale eg every 4 blocks is 0.5 for y and every 4 blocks is 1.5 for x?

I have a really basic understanding of maths, I apoligise if this seems really obvious, I'm working hard to improve on my maths, I appreciate any help given :smile:

It is perfectly acceptable for the scale on the y-axis to be different to the scale on the x-axis. Most of the time the units of measurement on both axis are completely different and therefore there is no reason to ensure the scale is the same.
Reply 2
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
It is perfectly acceptable for the scale on the y-axis to be different to the scale on the x-axis. Most of the time the units of measurement on both axis are completely different and therefore there is no reason to ensure the scale is the same.

thanks alot for clearing that up :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest