Personal Statement Tips and Advice! Watch

BPP University
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey everyone!

A lot of people are writing their personal statements at the moment and I remember how much of a daunting time it was for me, thinking about the next big stage in my life. Everyone wants to make sure their personal statement represents them fully and shows how enthusiastic they are for their chosen subject.

My personal tips (from someone who has just left university) are to start with a quote which summarises your reasons for applying for the course- you can then expand on this in the body of your personal statement and, if executed well, this can really make you stand out. Secondly, try and avoid cliches and being too 'over the top'- you need to get across your passion and enthusiasm but you don't want to be corny!

I'm also going to link in some tips and advice from our admissions team, who have read countless personal statements and really know their stuff!
You can read it here: Personal Statement Tips

Can any other students who have gone through the process (or perhaps even those writing theirs now!) offer any up any more tips for other aspiring students? What is your top tip?!

Looking forward to reading your answers!

Emily
EleanorFrost
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've heard that using quotes is actually a bad idea because admission tutors want to hear your voice, not someone else's. Do you disagree? Did you use a quote?
BobbieShamrock
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by EleanorFrost)
I've heard that using quotes is actually a bad idea because admission tutors want to hear your voice, not someone else's. Do you disagree? Did you use a quote?
I think quotes can sound kind of pretentious... Also there's a chance you'd choose one lots of other people chose. But that's just my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
EleanorFrost
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BobbieShamrock)
I think quotes can sound kind of pretentious... Also there's a chance you'd choose one lots of other people chose. But that's just my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's exactly why I didn't use one in my personal statement. Plus, I like history for my own reasons and I can't say I've found a quote that echoes those reasons.
BobbieShamrock
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's exactly why I didn't use one in my personal statement. Plus, I like history for my own reasons and I can't say I've found a quote that echoes those reasons.
Same it should be about you and your interests, not anyone else's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BPP University
Rep:
?
That's such an interesting idea about using a quote! I was told it could be potentially dangerous if not done well, but as I said, if executed well and not just 'stuck on the top' of your personal statement I think it can work really well.

Yes, I did use a quote in mine. I applied for English Literature and I used a quote by Chuck Palahnuik (who wrote Fight Club) who said "We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will". I guess this could be construed as a little pretentious but it was the 'creating something that will live forever' which was the main crux as I was applying for a creative course, and its a sentiment I feel strongly about. Also I knew it was kind of an obscure quote and the chances of someone else using it (applying to the same university as me) were slim

My personal statement was actually used as an example in my school for subsequent students going through the application process, once I had moved to university- but maybe ideas about using a quote have changed now, I don't know!

It's really really interesting to hear your ideas and advice- keep it up!!

Emily
BPP University
Rep:
?
(Original post by BobbieShamrock)
Same it should be about you and your interests, not anyone else's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you currently writing your personal statement? Or have you started university already?
BobbieShamrock
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BPP University)
Are you currently writing your personal statement? Or have you started university already?
Ive finished it, just waiting for my tutor to add her reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (126)
18.1%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.59%
Not great so far... (250)
35.92%
I want to drop out! (128)
18.39%

Watched Threads