The Student Room Group

HELP?

What is the therpeautic advantage of reversibility of action on enzyme inhibitors?

Can anybody explain? Thanks
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Original post by ninahstah
What is the therpeautic advantage of reversibility of action on enzyme inhibitors?

Can anybody explain? Thanks

The therapeutic advantage of reversibility of the action of enzyme inhibitors means that the effect of the inhibitor on the enzyme can be reversed at a certain time. One example of this is in Chemo therapy the drug methotrexate which inhibits an enzyme involved in Nucleotide production it would stop the rapidly growing cancer cells from replicating but healthy cells would not be affected as the effect of the inhibitor would have wore off by the time they replicate.
Original post by Shadoo
The therapeutic advantage of reversibility of the action of enzyme inhibitors means that the effect of the inhibitor on the enzyme can be reversed at a certain time. One example of this is in Chemo therapy the drug methotrexate which inhibits an enzyme involved in Nucleotide production it would stop the rapidly growing cancer cells from replicating but healthy cells would not be affected as the effect of the inhibitor would have wore off by the time they replicate.

So is the question asking why are reversible inhbitiors advantageous? Also, do you know the therapeutic advantage of acetylcholinesterase?

Thank you!
Reply 4
So is the question asking why are reversible inhbitiors advantageous? Also, do you know the therapeutic advantage of acetylcholinesterase?

Thank you!

It is asking why they are useful for therapeutic reasons which means why are they useful in medicine. I assume your talking about the inhibitors of acetylcholinesterase and they are useful because they can be used to treat Alzheimers patients. I'm being brief here so you may want to research the topics in more depth. I'm pretty sure you can find something about acetylcholinesterase inhibitors on google and their use for the treatment of alzheimers.
Original post by Shadoo
It is asking why they are useful for therapeutic reasons which means why are they useful in medicine. I assume your talking about the inhibitors of acetylcholinesterase and they are useful because they can be used to treat Alzheimers patients. I'm being brief here so you may want to research the topics in more depth. I'm pretty sure you can find something about acetylcholinesterase inhibitors on google and their use for the treatment of alzheimers.

Yes I have researched AD and also myasthenia gravis, I just could not get my head around the question. Now you have made it clearer for me, it is asking for their advantages in medicine, so that is why I would relate it to AD and myasthenia gravis. Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Yes I have researched AD and also myasthenia gravis, I just could not get my head around the question. Now you have made it clearer for me, it is asking for their advantages in medicine, so that is why I would relate it to AD and myasthenia gravis. Thank you! :biggrin:

No problem D: If i helped you, you can hit the rep button :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending