The Student Room Group

Working notice period

What are the rules on working notice period? Do I have to work the full notice period?

As in my current job the notice period is 4 weeks.
Original post by King786
What are the rules on working notice period? Do I have to work the full notice period?

As in my current job the notice period is 4 weeks.

Normally yes you have to work it, it's in your contract so it's something you agreed to when signing your contract when starting the job.
Reply 2
Original post by moonkatt
Normally yes you have to work it, it's in your contract so it's something you agreed to when signing your contract when starting the job.

is there no way of getting out of it?
Original post by King786

Not as far as I can remember. Someone else may have suggestions, but look at things form your employers point of view, they need to replace you and this can take a month at least for them to start arranging. Most new jobs people take on are aware of the notice periods in other jobs and have no problem with you working them.
Reply 4
Break a leg, that will get you out of it, providing it is a job where walking is required.
Reply 5
Original post by moonkatt

Original post by J-SP
You could quit and walk out but they technically could take you to court for breach of contract and although that's unlikely you will probably not get a positive reference from them as they could state you quit in the reference. You wouldn't really want to risk this as the impact on your future employment could be significant.

Why the urgency to leave?

Thanks for the replies guys, I hate my job and I am currently looking for and applying for jobs so wanted to now what my options were when I finally left the company.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by J-SP
You could quit and walk out but they technically could take you to court for breach of contract and although that's unlikely you will probably not get a positive reference from them as they could state you quit in the reference. You wouldn't really want to risk this as the impact on your future employment could be significant.

Why the urgency to leave?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thanks for the replies guys, I hate my job and I am currently looking for and applying for jobs so wanted to now what my options were when I finally left the company.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending