The Student Room Group

Mad school unifrom rules

Scroll to see replies

Original post by geodawson
This has nothing on my school..
We have the worlds most ugliest uniform; white blouse and red tartan skirt that goes down to your ankles.
- Not allowed to dye your hair (not even in the holidays or natural colours)
- Only allowed gold stud earrings
- Hair MUST be worn in a single plait at the back of the head
- No jewellery unless for religious purposes
- Watches must be black and silver
- Must use the school approved school bag
- Must wear the school socks that have the school logo on them
- We have to wear a dress hat to and from school
- No makeup
- Boys hair can't be too short, or too long
I could actually go on forever :rolleyes:

What if your hair isn't long enough for a single plait at the back of the head?
Original post by de_monies

(Isolation for not wearing a tie. Wut?)

Was that aimed at my comment?

I heard about it when I was in sixth form and we didn't wear uniform anymore (years 7 to 11 all have uniform). Teachers were saying anyone without a tie had to call their parents to bring it, or go to isolation if for example their parents aren't available.

I could understand it for repeat offenders but it just punishes people who genuinely forget one day. Apparently hardly anyone forgets anymore, but some still do and it's probably unfair for bullying victims who might have their tie stolen - stealing ties was common when I was there.

Original post by geodawson
This has nothing on my school..
We have the worlds most ugliest uniform; white blouse and red tartan skirt that goes down to your ankles.
- Not allowed to dye your hair (not even in the holidays or natural colours)
- Only allowed gold stud earrings
- Hair MUST be worn in a single plait at the back of the head
- No jewellery unless for religious purposes
- Watches must be black and silver
- Must use the school approved school bag
- Must wear the school socks that have the school logo on them
- We have to wear a dress hat to and from school
- No makeup
- Boys hair can't be too short, or too long
I could actually go on forever :rolleyes:

Please do, I want to hear more. Not allowed to dye your own hair in the holidays? What the actual ****?

I've never heard of a school trying to enforce uniform rules outside of school grounds. I'd have told them politely to go forth and multiply.

I don't think most people actually want rid of uniform, it's just school uniform rules often lack common sense in a way which does not reflect the world of work (the most common defence of uniform). As cases in this thread clearly demonstrate.
Original post by minimarshmallow
I went to work with vulva shaped earrings in. Not on a day when we had any important meetings, but with just the regular people I see it's not an issue.

I agree. I just find it hypocritical if the school is banning earrings, the pictures show small studs, and apparently the head teacher wears large earrings

So its not just hypocritical. Its a bit like she's deliberately trying to be anal about things
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2821999/School-sends-home-152-pupils-one-day-wore-incorrect-uniform.html

Again, stupid British media trying to make a big deal out of nothing. I completely agree with this school's uniform rules. Pupil's should look smart and represent the school in a good and positive way, if parent's or the kids themselves don't want to follow these procedures then take them out and move elsewhere or may I suggest homeschooling for Christ sake. School is an educational establishment, not a flipping fashion runway.

Obviously some things are a it excessive such as banning small earrings etc but still.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

Again, stupid British media trying to make a big deal out of nothing. I completely agree with this school's uniform rules. Pupil's should look smart and represent the school in a good and positive way, if parent's or the kids themselves don't want to follow these procedures then take them out and move elsewhere or may I suggest homeschooling for Christ sake. School is an educational establishment, not a flipping fashion runway.

Obviously some things are a it excessive such as banning small earrings etc but still.

That's kind of the point. Rules going too far and becoming stupid, not the fact that rules exist in the first place. Some people complain about unreasonable rules, you assume they want to abolish uniform and turn it into a fashion show. That's simply not the case.

There were complaints on the school facebook page. Some were sent home for shoes which were perfectly reasonable school shoes - not for wearing clearly unacceptable trainers. Some were turned away at the gates for wearing coats (Coats? In winter?!! :eek:) and sent home. Someone else was sent home for wrong footwear even though they had a medical note that they couldn't wear normal shoes. And kids were being sent home without parents being properly informed (some kids don't have house keys, parents might work, etc).
I know this is an extremely unimportant issue at the moment but if these reports are what they seem, the school is being very unreasonable, not the parents (in most cases).
I agree with the idea of a uniform in general, making less of a competition over who wears what, less bullying because someone can't afford designer clothes, everyone has something to wear for the next day and it does just looks smarter. Having said, that I feel a lot of teachers get some sort of power trip about the whole thing. Focusing so much on someone wearing a jacket to and from lessons, or shoes not being the right kind of black or hair bands not being school colours is just nitpicking and takes away valuable teaching time.

Sending students home for such minor offences is just ridiculous. Education should not be disrupted because of something as trivial as what kind of footwear someone is wearing. Maybe if they used more time to focus on those who are struggling with school work than those who aren't wearing the right uniform they'd see an increase in good grades.

Also, this head teacher doesn't seem to have a care in the world that she's sent home students who have come to school in imperfect uniform not, because they want to but, because they can't afford it. If schools are going to force students to wear their clothes they ideally need to be given free, or at least made affordable, otherwise they have no right to complain when parents don't want to buy something overpriced that their child is going to easily grow out of or become out of date when the school gets a new headteacher who decides pupils need to wear a different overpriced uniform.
Original post by Drewski
You get stressed out by a couple of rules regarding what you can or can't wear? God help you in the real world.

So that's your argument for school uniform? There are going to be things that stress me out in life so let's impose a school uniform for absolutely no purpose other than to act as an unnecessary annoyance? Should we make school children manage their parents' taxes? Handle the electricity bills?
Seems like any school around where I live.
To be honest I wasn't totally shocked by this story, but only because my school is the same (if not worse).

We have school hoodies but aren't allowed to wear them anywhere near the school building, only on the journey to and from. God forbid you put your (school regulation) stripy scarf on before you leave the building. Girls aren't allowed to wear trousers, only one specific type of skirt. We wear a ridiculous woollen blazer which is horrible and boiling in the summer. This year in sixth form we've had a tiny bit of lenience in that we can wear shoes with a bit of a heel but that's your lot :biggrin: to be honest I don't even think about it anymore, wearing uniform correctly has just become a habit and I suppose that's what the school in the article are aiming for.

What I would say though is that if you break the rules in my school they wouldn't send you home. Yeah you get disciplined (so much so people no longer dare to push the rules) but to interrupt the school day just because you're not wearing your tie properly? Ridiculous.
Original post by Jenniferann232
My school was worse. We had to have red (not burgundy), white (not cream), black or navy scarves/hats/gloves/coats. No coats indoors either. No unnatural hair colour (like pink, blue etc) and only one earring in each ear- no hoops or anything. I had no problem with it, you just have to deal with it and you'll have uniform in most work places anyway. My school wasn't even grammar or private, it was a girls' comprehensive

My secondary school had that rule
Original post by Bethaaaaany
Girls aren't allowed to wear trousers, only one specific type of skirt.

Has that always been the rule or is it one they brought in fairly recently? Surely skirts would be pretty cold in winter?

With our school the uniform changed in 2008, after the new headteacher took over in 2007.
Being originally from outside the UK, I really think school uniforms are one of the most ridiculous and retarded things over here I've seen! Seriously.. there is no evidence to show that wearing uniforms would increase one's academic performance in any way. In my home country Finland, which has been ranked to have one of the best education systems in the world, pupils can wear whatever they want. People have different styles and pupils aren't stripped of their identities.. I mean afterall, they're kids for gods sake - let them be kids!

In Finland you see pupils being "themselves", some dressing up heavy metal style, others hip hop style etc etc. The colour of your hair or having 10 nose piercings is not gonna affect your school performance. However, the pupils are performing better than in most countries including the UK.
Original post by RFowler
Has that always been the rule or is it one they brought in fairly recently? Surely skirts would be pretty cold in winter?

With our school the uniform changed in 2008, after the new headteacher took over in 2007.

Nope, they've always had the skirt rule. When I started year 7 the skirts were a different style and your right, they were very very cold. They've brought in knee-length pleated ones in the last couple of years which are so much better. We all just wear really thick tights, living in N.Ireland it's not the warmest country :biggrin:
Original post by Chlorophile
So that's your argument for school uniform? There are going to be things that stress me out in life so let's impose a school uniform for absolutely no purpose other than to act as an unnecessary annoyance? Should we make school children manage their parents' taxes? Handle the electricity bills?

I'm neither for nor against them. There are legitimate pros and cons to each side of the argument. But yours about "not getting stressed out" is so far down the bottom of those lists that it's rightly being ignored.

In fact, the only legitimate argument about stress is in favour of uniforms, not against them. Less well off students feel compelled to keep up with wealthier students who come in wearing designer labels all the time, there's a stigma attached to them and bullying can result. That's a legitimate worry.
Original post by Drewski
I'm neither for nor against them. There are legitimate pros and cons to each side of the argument. But yours about "not getting stressed out" is so far down the bottom of those lists that it's rightly being ignored.

In fact, the only legitimate argument about stress is in favour of uniforms, not against them. Less well off students feel compelled to keep up with wealthier students who come in wearing designer labels all the time, there's a stigma attached to them and bullying can result. That's a legitimate worry.

Why is it rightly being ignored? Why should the happiness of school children be ignored? It's as important a reason as any - society doesn't have to make every effort to make life as miserable as possible for people. And once again, that's not a legitimate worry. As someone who attends a non-uniform state school with a huge mix of people from different backgrounds, we genuinely do not have any greater a problem with bullying than any other school. Less, if you use our exclusion record as an indicator.
Original post by Chlorophile
Why is it rightly being ignored? Why should the happiness of school children be ignored

Exams leave some people stressed out. Let's get rid of them.
PE lessons leave some people stressed out. Let's get rid of them.
Maths lessons leave some people stressed out. Let's get rid of them.
School itself leaves some people stressed out. Let's get rid of it.

That's why I'm ignoring it.
Original post by Quantex
If strict dress codes are necessary for academic success then why do many of the best university lecturers dress like they've slept under a bridge?

I quote "Ugh, I haven't ironed my shirt. But y'know what, ironing didn't get me three degrees."
I see the point of having a uniform and enforcing it to a point. However sending pupils home over minor infractions is wasting everybody's time and negatively affecting learning. If you let the uniform regulations slide a bit the teachers don't have to nag students, and the students don't resent them for being nagged. They're less likely to be a pain in the lesson and less of the lesson is spent 'correcting' uniform. Fewer distractions = more teaching time.

My sixth form had fairly mental rules although there was no uniform. Letters couldn't be more than 5cm high on shirts, girls couldn't wear tops with straps less than 5cm wide etc. They weren't strictly enforced to my knowledge. There was one girl who had to wear a hat because she dyed her hair red, though.
Original post by Drewski
Exams leave some people stressed out. Let's get rid of them.
PE lessons leave some people stressed out. Let's get rid of them.
Maths lessons leave some people stressed out. Let's get rid of them.
School itself leaves some people stressed out. Let's get rid of it.

That's why I'm ignoring it.

All of those things you've listed are important and necessary and getting rid of them because of stress is obviously not an option (although measures should obviously be made to make them as comfortable for people as possible). School uniform is neither important nor necessary.
About your first point about people not being able to afford designer clothes and being bullied - A lot of people struggle to buy school uniform due to its price. My school uniform in total costs £800. This causes people to be sent home for not having correct uniform when they just cant afford it. Also, no exceptions at my school have been made for disabled students, such as myself, who may have sensory issues which causes them to have to get quite a bit of the uniform specially made adding extra cost (eg, I have to spend extra to get my jumpers remade in cotton, I have to get skirts made to have elasticated waists otherwise I get the sensation of not being able to breathe) this is also completely unfair when other students get to wear trousers or long skirts down to the floor for religious reasons. I swear uniform policies are ****ed up.

NOTE: I go to an all girls school so have to wear a skirt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending