The Student Room Group

Adult Nursing Rejection

i'm new to this...

But I've just recently received a unsuccessful application from Leeds Beckett University to do nursing

they gave the reason "your application is not predicted to meet the entry requirements for this course"

i don't understand as i already have my grades as i have already done my a-levels (i'm 21) and my grades are stated in my university application,
The entry requirements are 300 UCAS points - my grades altogether are 320 UCAS points.. which is a btec national certificate in health and social care (merit pass) and a double award in health and social care graded (B,B) and a-c gcse's which i also have. i also have an nvq in health and social care and are currently working towards my level 3 which is nearly finished.

i currently work as a senior care assistant and have at least 2 years experience in care

i wouldnt be so bothered if it was a different university but i really wanted to study there.

can anyone give me any advice in what i should do? should i contact them for any feedback or something? or should i just accept the rejection? :tongue:
Original post by RJ-21
i'm new to this...

But I've just recently received a unsuccessful application from Leeds Beckett University to do nursing

they gave the reason "your application is not predicted to meet the entry requirements for this course"

i don't understand as i already have my grades as i have already done my a-levels (i'm 21) and my grades are stated in my university application,
The entry requirements are 300 UCAS points - my grades altogether are 320 UCAS points.. which is a btec national certificate in health and social care (merit pass) and a double award in health and social care graded (B,B) and a-c gcse's which i also have. i also have an nvq in health and social care and are currently working towards my level 3 which is nearly finished.

i currently work as a senior care assistant and have at least 2 years experience in care

i wouldnt be so bothered if it was a different university but i really wanted to study there.

can anyone give me any advice in what i should do? should i contact them for any feedback or something? or should i just accept the rejection? :tongue:
Hi i'm sorry to hear that your application had been declined. I had applied last year to this uni and got rejected for the same reason. In my opinion I think you should contact them as there could have been a misunderstanding and even for feedback. Good luck with your other applications.:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by nadzworldz
Hi i'm sorry to hear that your application had been declined. I had applied last year to this uni and got rejected for the same reason. In my opinion I think you should contact them as there could have been a misunderstanding and even for feedback. Good luck with your other applications.:smile:

i will but i think ive made a mistake i thought my double awards was 200 points but it was a gcse double award which is only 100 points so i think thats why ive been declined really :frown:
Original post by RJ-21
i'm new to this...

What A-Levels did you do?
Reply 4
i did a btec national level 3 in health and social care graded merit, pass
Original post by RJ-21
i did a btec national level 3 in health and social care graded merit, pass

NC or ND ?

and how far from complete is your NVQ 3 ?

there is also the attudinal thing with you being a 'Senior Carer' ... sometimes the PSes of HCAs let them down because they give off the the 'the only difference between a RN and SENIOR carer is the RN can given injections ' vibe ...

with regard to the attitudinal issues look at the four stage model of skillsdevelopment and the Johari window
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
can you please take a picture of what track said to you so that i can expect what it looks like?
Reply 7
Original post by zippyRN
NC or ND ?

and how far from complete is your NVQ 3 ?

there is also the attudinal thing with you being a 'Senior Carer' ... sometimes the PSes of HCAs let them down because they give off the the 'the only difference between a RN and SENIOR carer is the RN can given injections ' vibe ...

with regard to the attitudinal issues look at the four stage model of skillsdevelopment and the Johari window

NC, and I have 2 units left which are quite small so should be finished within a week.

I didn't put anything like that in my personal statement as I don't want to come across like that. I put things in about my experience and what I could bring.
Original post by RJ-21
NC, and I have 2 units left which are quite small so should be finished within a week.

I didn't put anything like that in my personal statement as I don't want to come across like that. I put things in about my experience and what I could bring.

Certificate is not the full sized level 3 award, you'd really need to be looking at offering further completed level 3 alongside a NC.

often when people are applying on the basis of level 3 NVQ the admissions tutors are looking for ther following

- consolidation at level 3 in practice
- clear demonstration that you realise how little you actually know
- that you understand that alotof what you tthink you know is going to challenged and you are going to have to change yourt behaviours

Who was your referee? was it academic or professional ?

If it was academic was it current ?

If it was a professional reference was it from an RN with a current Mentorship award ? or from a.n.other random lay person / social w**ker with an RMA award (e.g. res home manager)

did you get your personal statement reviewed by someoen who knows what to lokk for to make sure you didn;t put the admissions tutors off.

when someone applies from a level 3 HCA route they are looking for people who are for want of a better term quite 'humble' about it and not the gobby opinionated i"'m a SENIOR Carer dontya know " type ...

Sometimes experience in a field can ironically work against you if you aren't uber careful in your phrasing of things, as the standards, values and behaviours are bit more nunanced. Someone coming straight from education or from an unrelated job is a 'blank canvas' to paint a picture of a nurse on and then fill it in and the admissions tutors will forgive naivety / ignorance to a degree. Where someone who comes from a HCA / rehab assistant etc background to Nursin/ Madwive / Physio / OT ( or for Paramedic courses from a PTS or ECA background) is a partially finished Sculpture so there either needs to be the material left to work with, or you need to be mouldable ( like a clay sculpture) or meltable and recast ( like a metal sculpture) if you come across as a near finished stone sculpture you are in trouble ...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by zippyRN
Certificate is not the full sized level 3 award, you'd really need to be looking at offering further completed level 3 alongside a NC.

often when people are applying on the basis of level 3 NVQ the admissions tutors are looking for ther following

- consolidation at level 3 in practice
- clear demonstration that you realise how little you actually know
- that you understand that alotof what you tthink you know is going to challenged and you are going to have to change yourt behaviours

Who was your referee? was it academic or professional ?

If it was academic was it current ?

If it was a professional reference was it from an RN with a current Mentorship award ? or from a.n.other random lay person / social w**ker with an RMA award (e.g. res home manager)

did you get your personal statement reviewed by someoen who knows what to lokk for to make sure you didn;t put the admissions tutors off.

when someone applies from a level 3 HCA route they are looking for people who are for want of a better term quite 'humble' about it and not the gobby opinionated i"'m a SENIOR Carer dontya know " type ...

Sometimes experience in a field can ironically work against you if you aren't uber careful in your phrasing of things, as the standards, values and behaviours are bit more nunanced. Someone coming straight from education or from an unrelated job is a 'blank canvas' to paint a picture of a nurse on and then fill it in and the admissions tutors will forgive naivety / ignorance to a degree. Where someone who comes from a HCA / rehab assistant etc background to Nursin/ Madwive / Physio / OT ( or for Paramedic courses from a PTS or ECA background) is a partially finished Sculpture so there either needs to be the material left to work with, or you need to be mouldable ( like a clay sculpture) or meltable and recast ( like a metal sculpture) if you come across as a near finished stone sculpture you are in trouble ...

Oh I thought it would have been, it took me 2 years to complete full time. No I don't come across like that at all. Of course I have many things to learn

My referee was a professional and is current, a deputy manager who is also a RGN , I asked her and a few other nurses in the home to see if the personal statement was good or not. And they said it was pretty good.

I'm definitely not a cocky person and would never come across as the "I'm a senior caer" type person.
Original post by RJ-21
Oh I thought it would have been, it took me 2 years to complete full time. No I don't come across like that at all. Of course I have many things to learn

My referee was a professional and is current, a deputy manager who is also a RGN , I asked her and a few other nurses in the home to see if the personal statement was good or not. And they said it was pretty good.

I'm definitely not a cocky person and would never come across as the "I'm a senior caer" type person.

you need to get some feedback from the Uni(s) in question

the fact you haven;t completed your NVQ 3 might have counted against you

what other qualifications have you got ...

shows the points values for current versions of the BTEC qualifications

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables#btecqcf

your referee sounds appropriate and without knowing him/her and his /.her CV i can;t comment further.
Original post by RJ-21
i will but i think ive made a mistake i thought my double awards was 200 points but it was a gcse double award which is only 100 points so i think thats why ive been declined really :frown:
OK well I know GCSE's do not count for tariff points and your merit/pass should give you at least 120 points and what about the level 3 NVQ does that give any points?
Reply 12
Original post by zippyRN
you need to get some feedback from the Uni(s) in question

the fact you haven;t completed your NVQ 3 might have counted against you

what other qualifications have you got ...

shows the points values for current versions of the BTEC qualifications

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables#btecqcf

your referee sounds appropriate and without knowing him/her and his /.her CV i can;t comment further.

Thanks for your help! I will contact them asking for some feedback.

It might have done, but apparently an Nvq doesny really matter anyway to get into nursing?

Apart from my GCSEs and my Nvq I have an E in product design (a level) which is about 40 points if that!

She has worked in many different settings - wards, hospitals, nursing homes and in he community, she's been a nurse for over 30 years
Reply 13
Original post by nadzworldz
OK well I know GCSE's do not count for tariff points and your merit/pass should give you at least 120 points and what about the level 3 NVQ does that give any points?

Nope unfortunately not i thought they did! Unless it's some sort of btec certificate it won't count to anything!
Original post by RJ-21
Nope unfortunately not i thought they did! Unless it's some sort of btec certificate it won't count to anything!
Ok i'm sorry to hear that. Have you applied to other unis including foundation years? If not do you have any plans about what you are planning to do?
Reply 15
Nope I haven't I've had 4 rejections now, Ive put my education wrong on my application, there's nothing I can do about it really! Think I'm going to apply for an access to HE course local to me (leeds) it's like £1500 for the course but it will get me to where I want to be
Original post by RJ-21
Nope I haven't I've had 4 rejections now, Ive put my education wrong on my application, there's nothing I can do about it really! Think I'm going to apply for an access to HE course local to me (leeds) it's like £1500 for the course but it will get me to where I want to be
I'm sorry to hear that this is my second time applying and I have received a rejection from leeds beckett University (which I was not expecting):sad: How did you application go wrong, have you studied A-levels if so can you not reapply or take a gap year?
Reply 17
I'm sorry to hear that!

Yes I did a level health and social care which was 2 a levels I could reapply next year but if I do the access course I have a better chance of been accepted next time I apply I guess.

I've just completed my Nvq level 3 so I may contact them and ask if they could reconsider but I doubt they will so I'm pretty much stuck!
I had my a-levels, gcses's as well as nvq 2 and a previous degree. im not sure what admission tutors count and what they don't.
But if you do your level 3 and maybe an access you should stand good stead. But if your going to reapply then I'd also recommend changing your personal statement too to reflect your study.
You don't want to sound cocky but confident. There's a fine line I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RJ-21
I'm sorry to hear that!

Yes I did a level health and social care which was 2 a levels I could reapply next year but if I do the access course I have a better chance of been accepted next time I apply I guess.

I've just completed my Nvq level 3 so I may contact them and ask if they could reconsider but I doubt they will so I'm pretty much stuck!
Yes the access course would be great, i'm also sure that the NVQ must be worth something as it is a level 3 qualification, have you checked? Some university only require 2 A-levels. I only had 2 A-levels and an AS, then I continued it for an A2 which I had taken an extra year (which is the second time i'm applying to uni). Can you not pick up another A-level, which will give you more of a chance too of getting onto the course too? Good luck, with your choice. :smile:

Quick Reply