The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Car parking facilities - need answers asap before sending off application

I am thinking of applying to Warwick and I have been reading around the website and it says that they dont have car park facilities except for disabled people or those with medical conditions. I need to drive if I'm living miles away from home in a place I never been before. I refuse to bus it or walk or cycle to get my weekly shopping, go to the gym, go to work and other places I need to travel to.

So, what's the actual situation on the ground there with regards to car parking facilities around the halls and campus?
Reply 1
MFH
OP
Bump
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by MFH
I am thinking of applying to Warwick and I have been reading around the website and it says that they dont have car park facilities except for disabled people or those with medical conditions. I need to drive if I'm living miles away from home in a place I never been before. I refuse to bus it or walk or cycle to get my weekly shopping, go to the gym, go to work and other places I need to travel to.

So, what's the actual situation on the ground there with regards to car parking facilities around the halls and campus?

Hello im a current student at warwick and firstly I would ask you do you really need a car?
I live in westwood which is one of the furtherest accommodation away from main campus, but it is only a 10-15mins walk to main campus and a 7-10min walk to tescos what more could you want? I know of only one person in my building that owns his own car and he only uses it when going to church on a sunday as far as i am aware.

Plus there is no absolute way you could drive to every lecture it is just inconvenient because as you said car parking space is not a priority. Also due to the roadworks all over campus it is nearly always quicker to walk during peak times. Although there are quite a lot of pay and display cars parks as seen on the warwick campus map. However

If you do drive to campus, you'll need to use a pay and display car park. It costs £1.50 for up to 4 hours in the day or £3 for over 4 hours (Monday to Friday). Parking after 18:00 and all day at weekends and on Bank Holidays is free. If you need to park overnight you must apply for an overnight parking permit.
Monthly Scratch Cards are available allowing up to 12 full days parking during the calendar month at a reduced rate.
<Taken from Warwick website>

This is going to cost you quite a lot of money as you can see

Warwick is still the best uni though :smile: and I dont have any issues with walking - just take a bus or train Warwick uni is super connected to public transport.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MFH

Campus isn't that big... :lolwut:

The furthest distance on campus is from Westwood to Gibbet Hill (1.4 miles according to Google Maps). The gym and Tesco supermarket are more centrally located so would be even closer to wherever you are. There's really no need for a car on campus, and it would be a colossal waste of money.
Original post by MFH

All of the things mentioned are likely to be inside of five minutes walk from wherever you're living. Maybe 10 minutes at a stretch. It would take you longer to find a parking space at the other end than drive, in most cases.
"I refuse to bus it or walk or cycle to get my weekly shopping, go to the gym, go to work and other places I need to travel to"

Probably should go somewhere else then. As others have said, there are pay and display car parks during the day but there is not really any way of living on campus with a car as an undergraduate unless you are supported on medical grounds.
Reply 6
Fairly easy to get a permit if you have a good reason for one (e.g. sick relative) but you do still have to pay IIRC £360/year for it.

There are pay-and-display areas and there is free parking after 6pm.

It's a campus university and everything you need is on site or a short bus ride away - if you really really need your car, there are ways but parking isn't cheap.

Quick Reply

Latest