Anti-"climate denier" fascism

Watch
KingBradly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Disclaimer: This post is not concerned whether climate change is real or not, so please don't address that question.

The way people who don't believe in human generated climate change are treated is ridiculous. The name 'climate change denier' sounds like a simulacrum of 'holocaust denier', as if it is even remotely comparable. Some institutions have silenced or kicked people out for being 'climate deniers'. Green Peace called for anyone who doesn't believe in climate change to be kicked out of government.

The idea of reprimanding people for not believing in a scientific hypothesis is utterly ridiculous.
PenguinEmperor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I believe they should be given a proportional platform to publicize their believes, like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg
I am a strong believer in climate change as, as a penguin I have watched it firm hand. Just yesterday I saw my igloo melt into the sea!
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Climate change deniers should be duly cast into the sea. When the cataclysm comes there will be no room for them on the ark.
BefuddledPenguin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I agree with my fellow penguin, that said I don't remember where I live, so that isn't guaranteed to be climate change's fault.
KingBradly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Captain Haddock)
Climate change deniers should be duly cast into the sea. When the cataclysm comes there will be no room for them on the ark.
But why? Aren't you a liberal? Don't you believe people should be free to have their own opinions and ideas, as long as they aren't intolerant?
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Warmism isn't science. It's religion. The eco-fascists generally refuse to accept that any hypothesis other than their own should even be discussed regardless of merit.
Captain Haddock
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KingBradly)
But why? Aren't you a liberal? Don't you believe people should be free to have their own opinions and ideas, as long as they aren't intolerant?
While I don't literally believe they should be thrown into the ocean I do think they are fair targets for ridicule and contempt given the seriousness of the potential consequences and the intellectual bankruptcy involved in taking such a position, not to mention that many of the big players in climate change denial just so happen to have vested interests in preventing action on climate change and deep down probably don't even believe the **** they spew which makes it even worse.
Captain Haddock
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
The fact that people react in this way shows they have doubts themselves, or at least insecurity in their own point of view.
Or that, y'know, it's been proven beyond reasonable doubt that the world is on the brink of environmental catastrophe yet somehow we still have people actively trying to stop us doing anything about it which is totally lame and needs to stop.
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We should raise taxes and use the money to fund technology to help us in the war against climate change and global warming.
The Dictator
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Or that, y'know, it's been proven beyond reasonable doubt that the world is on the brink of environmental catastrophe yet somehow we still have people actively trying to stop us doing anything about it which is totally lame and needs to stop.
Climate change is an excuse to give the government more power over our lives. Just like the War on Terror, or the economic crisis.
The Dictator
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by democracyforum)
We should raise taxes and use the money to fund technology to help us in the war against climate change and global warming.
You cannot declare war against abstractions or inanimate objects. You declare war on people. All "wars" declared by the government on something are on people, and they harm everyone involved.

Do you support a corporatist system to combat global warming? When that results in a ballooning in the power of the state and increased government corruption don't come running to me...
Captain Haddock
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by The Dictator)
Climate change is an excuse to give the government more power over our lives. Just like the War on Terror, or the economic crisis.
Like I said; intellectual bankruptcy.
The Dictator
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Like I said; intellectual bankruptcy.
What a wonderfully-constructed argument.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KingBradly)
Disclaimer: This post is not concerned whether climate change is real or not, so please don't address that question.

The way people who don't believe in human generated climate change are treated is ridiculous. The name 'climate change denier' sounds like a simulacrum of 'holocaust denier', as if it is even remotely comparable. Some institutions have silenced or kicked people out for being 'climate deniers'. Green Peace called for anyone who doesn't believe in climate change to be kicked out of government.

The idea of reprimanding people for not believing in a scientific hypothesis is utterly ridiculous.
If we were talking about something trivial which doesn't really have any real world implications like the existence of God then I'd agree with you. The problem is that climate change is an absolutely massive issue with the capability of completely uprooting the foundations of modern society. The fact of the matter is that the global scientific community has a rock solid consensus that anthropogenic climate change does exist and that there is an extreme urgency for radical action if we want to avoid catastrophic climate changes in the future. Now of course scientific consensuses have been wrong in the past, but that doesn't change the fact that when you're making decisions, you need to base them on the best current available evidence. Not taking action because of the small chance that we might be wrong is nonsensical.

If you went to a doctor who told you that you've got a Malignant tumor and you need immediate surgery if you want to stay alive, you might go to another doctor to get a second opinion. What climate denialists are effectively doing is visiting 50 doctors who all say it's malign and is probably going to kill you, before finding one single doctor (who just so happens to be employed by a certain industry that benefits from him giving you this advice) that it's Benign and that you've got nothing to worry about. A sane human being would operate on it since 98% of the doctors have told him that it's a serious risk to his health. What climate change denialists are doing is believing that one doctor.

You base decisions on the best current available evidence, not on evidence that has a remote chance of possibly existing in the far future. The consequences of not acting against climate change ridiculously outweigh the consequences of acting. I completely support ousting climate change denialists from decision making processes because they are a danger to society. We cannot have key decision makers who are unwilling to act on science, not for something as important as this. We can debate things like the existence of God or the Higgs Boson as much as we want. But ignoring Climate Change is a risk we can't afford.

A note on why I call it denial and not skepticism: being skeptical is good. All scientists are skeptical so there's nothing wrong with being a skeptic. However, given that the overwhelming body of evidence suggests that we are causing serious climate change, to claim that this isn't the case is a denial of the evidence.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes but there's a big difference between rational civilised debate and "HE DISAGREES, HE MUST BE SILENCED! :fuhrer:".
Bearing in mind that climate change denialists currently get a media coverage completely and utterly disproportional to their actual representation (they represent less than 3% of the scientific community yet make up more like >50% of discussion in the media), I really don't think you can complain about these people being silenced. If anyone is trying to silence them, they're not doing a very good job.
MagicNMedicine
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You see this kind of closed mindedness in other affairs.

Austerity/cuts is the ONLY way forward - anybody that brings up rational arguments about how public investment can yield positive returns gets shouted down, "deficit denier", "lost the argument on the economy", "clueless", "economically illiterate" (the last one is my favourite, because I don't think I've ever heard an economist use that as an insult, its invariably people that have never studied economics past A level)

Also immigration is BAD and you can't say anything otherwise - anybody that brings up the economic evidence that shows a) immigration does not have negative effects on jobs/wages, b) immigration brings net benefits to the public finances as migrants pay more in tax than they consume in services gets shouted down "liberal do-gooder", "traitors to the country", "politically correct nonsense".

I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a hypothesis that the people that take the stances above, and are closed minded to any opposing argument, also complain that they are victims of 'anti-climate denier fascism', am I right....?
geneticist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Saying the over population has nothing to do with climate change is ridiculous.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by geneticist)
Saying the over population has nothing to do with climate change is ridiculous.
No, but acting as if reducing the population is going to help is equally as ridiculous as it isn't going to happen. By the simple nature of population dynamics, an eventual global population of 11bn+ is inevitable. There is absolutely nothing we can do about that. There are too many people on the planet, but that isn't a problem we can do anything about in the short term so it's a much better use of our time thinking about actual solutions rather than complaining about something nobody can do anything about.
KingBradly
Rep:
?
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
You see this kind of closed mindedness in other affairs.

Austerity/cuts is the ONLY way forward - anybody that brings up rational arguments about how public investment can yield positive returns gets shouted down, "deficit denier", "lost the argument on the economy", "clueless", "economically illiterate" (the last one is my favourite, because I don't think I've ever heard an economist use that as an insult, its invariably people that have never studied economics past A level)

Also immigration is BAD and you can't say anything otherwise - anybody that brings up the economic evidence that shows a) immigration does not have negative effects on jobs/wages, b) immigration brings net benefits to the public finances as migrants pay more in tax than they consume in services gets shouted down "liberal do-gooder", "traitors to the country", "politically correct nonsense".

I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a hypothesis that the people that take the stances above, and are closed minded to any opposing argument, also complain that they are victims of 'anti-climate denier fascism', am I right....?
Very true. It's sad really.
Captain Haddock
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes but there's a big difference between rational civilised debate and "HE DISAGREES, HE MUST BE SILENCED! :fuhrer:".
The debate has been over for years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (115)
27.45%
England (146)
34.84%
Belgium (32)
7.64%
Germany (42)
10.02%
Spain (10)
2.39%