~| The Best Laws...|~

Watch
The Dictator
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
The best laws are those which do not need enforcing.

Think about it. The best laws are those which are unconsciously followed and serve as a sort of unspoken, unwritten writ which serves as a guide for how humanity is to act. They do not need to be enforced by the authorities, who are authorities by virtue of the fact that they have the most money, the most guns, and very intimidating uniforms.

Rules like the Golden Rule and the law of reciprocity are all well and good but complete BS in practice unless human beings actively seek to behave according to said rules, but human nature at this moment in time does not work like that, so indoctrination is attempted, but you can't change human beings by instruction, you can only change them by changing their NATURE.

People can only be changed once we begin changing the environment in which they are born - the way they are brought up, the composition of their family life, the quality of their parenting, the encouragement and development of certain habits. Gradually, instincts should change.
QuantumStuff
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I totally agree with you there. For a law to be great, it should not have to be enforced they will follow it because they know its right and the thing to do. However this is never the case, many people often break the law for the fun of it.
ubi1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by The Dictator)
The best laws are those which do not need enforcing.

Think about it. The best laws are those which are unconsciously followed and serve as a sort of unspoken, unwritten writ which serves as a guide for how humanity is to act. They do not need to be enforced by the authorities, who are authorities by virtue of the fact that they have the most money, the most guns, and very intimidating uniforms.

Rules like the Golden Rule and the law of reciprocity are all well and good but complete BS in practice unless human beings actively seek to behave according to said rules, but human nature at this moment in time does not work like that, so indoctrination is attempted, but you can't change human beings by instruction, you can only change them by changing their NATURE.

People can only be changed once we begin changing the environment in which they are born - the way they are brought up, the composition of their family life, the quality of their parenting, the encouragement and development of certain habits. Gradually, instincts should change.
the best laws are those that don't enforce alimony
TheMagicalConch
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Surely it is impossible to determine the 'Best' laws. Moreover the law is best decided by that which is in the common interest of most people, confining itself the the most profound of matters; for it is in the interests of most people that they are not killed, raped and pillaged; the law is a representative of the will of the people, a far greater protector of liberty and democracy.

It becomes dangerous, however, when the law becomes that which is not in the common interest and becomes trivial; in whose interest is it to prohibit the home production of tobacco, of that of the people, who would benefit from increased competition and cheaper prices? It is in the interest of the existent manufacturers, and prohibited under the guise of a compassionate motherly protection that nobody asked for.

I vehemently disagree that the law should be based on that which is unconsciously followed, by nature the law is prohibitive; that is prohibiting ones freedom to prohibit another's.
william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The best laws are those that are enforce socially and culturally, not by the government. For this to happen you need a mono-culture and the state to create a government to enforce it. Britain had this for a time after the Glorious Revolution, but no longer does so we are seeking the breakdown of law and with it the state and government itself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
7.32%
I need help researching courses (3)
7.32%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
7.32%
I need help with my personal statement (20)
48.78%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (9)
21.95%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.44%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
4.88%

Watched Threads