Watch
0x2a
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
If E is an infinite subset of a compact set K, then E has a limit point in K

My proof goes like this:

Since E is an infinite set, a limit point exists. If x \in E, then x \in K so we are done. Let x be a limit point in E, such that  x \not \in E, then x \in E^c. If E is a proper subset of K (otherwise E = K, and since K is a compact set, it is closed and contains all its limit points are we are done), then x \in (K\setminus E )\cup K^c.

If x \in K^c then since K is a compact set and is closed, K^c is open. So x must be a interior point of K^c, which contradicts the fact that x is a limit point of E. So  x \in K\setminus E and x\in K.

So is this a sound proof?
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 0x2a)
If E is an infinite subset of a compact set K, then E has a limit point in K

My proof goes like this:

Since E is an infinite set, a limit point exists. If x \in E, then x \in K so we are done. Let x be a limit point in E, such that  x \not \in E, then x \in E^c. If E is a proper subset of K (otherwise E = K, and since K is a compact set, it is closed and contains all its limit points are we are done), then x \in (K\setminus E )\cup K^c.

If x \in K^c then since K is a compact set and is closed, K^c is open. So x must be a interior point of K^c, which contradicts the fact that x is a limit point of E. So  x \in K\setminus E and x\in K.

So is this a sound proof?
As I read this, I thought of the following things:

"Since E is an infinite set, a limit point exists." Why?
"K is compact implies K is closed." This is false: consider the cofinite topology on Z. All subsets of Z are compact, but only the finite ones (and Z) are closed. (It is true if K is also Hausdorff.)
0x2a
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smaug123)
As I read this, I thought of the following things:

"Since E is an infinite set, a limit point exists." Why?
"K is compact implies K is closed." This is false: consider the cofinite topology on Z. All subsets of Z are compact, but only the finite ones (and Z) are closed. (It is true if K is also Hausdorff.)
Oh I forgot to mention that E \subset Y \subset X where X is a metric space. Does that make any difference? This is from an analysis book and not a topology one
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 0x2a)
Oh I forgot to mention that E \subset Y \subset X where X is a metric space. Does that make any difference? This is from an analysis book and not a topology one
That justifies "K is closed". I'm still not completely sure about "a limit point exists" - do you have a justification for that?
0x2a
Rep:
?
That justifies "K is closed". I'm still not completely sure about "a limit point exists" - do you have a justification for that?
Well I'm stuck but if E has not limit points, then the set of limit points of E is the empty set, and so E is closed. Since E is a subset of a compact set and is closed, E is also a compact set.

Oh and if E has a limit point x, then x is a limit point of K, and since K is closed, K must contain all its limit points, so x \in K. Would this be a valid proof once I validate that a limit point of E exists at all?
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 0x2a)
Well I'm stuck but if E has not limit points, then the set of limit points of E is the empty set, and so E is closed. Since E is a subset of a compact set and is closed, E is also a compact set.

Oh and if E has a limit point x, then x is a limit point of K, and since K is closed, K must contain all its limit points, so x \in K. Would this be a valid proof once I validate that a limit point of E exists at all?
Actually, a limit point of any nonempty set exists, doesn't it? Take the sequence (x, x, …); this has limit x. That makes the original theorem completely trivial. I've presumably badly misunderstood something.
0x2a
Rep:
?
Actually, a limit point of any nonempty set exists, doesn't it? Take the sequence (x, x, …); this has limit x. That makes the original theorem completely trivial. I've presumably badly misunderstood something.
It was defined that the neighbourhood of x must include a point not equal to x in all its neighbourhoods.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (165)
43.88%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (42)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.24%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (80)
21.28%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.57%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed