The Student Room Group

Feel like my boyfriend doesn't care about me sometimes :(

So my boyfriend and I have been together for just over a year. We usually get on together really well and, other than when we have silly little arguments, he makes me happy, he is very sweet, understanding, trustworthy and I love him very much. However, recently there have been times when I have needed someone but I have felt like he actually does not care. I am usually quite a happy person but over the last month or so things have been getting to me a bit. I am in my last year of university and I feel under so much pressure. Recently, all of a sudden, I started crying in front of him because I felt like I could not cope with the work I had to do. It was the first time he has ever seen me cry. He was about to leave, so sat with me until I stopped crying, cuddled me a bit but didn't say anything, asked if I would be ok and then left. He didn't ask if I was ok after this or anything like that. This wasn't so bad, but I thought he could have been a bit more comforting.

However, last weekend, when he was staying over, I banged my head and got concussion. I told him I was going to A&E and he never offered to come, until I phoned NHS 24 and the nurse asked if someone would go with me, then he said he would come. He later said he was going to come in the first place anyway so I am not sure about that. He had a thing on at work a few hours later and when we got there he asked if I wanted him to leave me money to get home in case he had to leave. He never asked if I wanted him to stay and phone work to explain what had happened to see if someone else could do it. When I asked he did say he would phone. Anyway, we left the hospital before he was due at his work thing and when we got home I felt so bad I was just lying on the bed and could barely sit up because I was so dizzy. He then left me to go to the work thing and said he would be back. When he was away I was sick but then started to feel better by the time he got back. I asked him to stay with me for the rest of the day in case anything happened. The next day he texted me talking about random things but never mentioned my head. I said thanks for asking about my head and he said I was going to ask that next. Does it still hurt, do you feel dizzy? I said yes and he didn't reply. The next day I felt really dizzy and tired, so when I got home I just fell asleep. He texted me saying "hi" three times which I didn't see until the morning. I then said hi back and he replied are you ok? I said I keep feeling really dizzy, nearly fainted and slept since whenever I got home yesterday. He replied "oh". That is it. Then about half an hour later he did text saying how are you now etc. He said he would try and visit me during his work break but then was too busy at work, but didn't offer to visit me after work or anything. Before he text me to say he couldn't visit me, I was in uni at a meeting and I felt so dizzy when we were in a lab, I couldn't stand any more and almost fainted and had to be taken out. I went to a doctor and they told me the swelling on my head is quite bad for it being a few days after it happened, it's actually worse than before, and I was probably getting dizzy spells from the pressure on my head, but it would go away once the bump goes down. I'm never usually ill, but these last few days I have been really scared about this. He texted me tonight saying hi, how are you feeling? I said I'm fine, but I kind of fainted this morning, how are you? He replied saying "Oh, that's a shame, I'm ok but a bit tired". I can't understand how he can have such a lack of empathy. I'm sure anyone would say are you ok, how did you faint, where did it happen, or at least something other than just "oh, that's a shame". It's like he actually is not concerned at all.

I think he maybe does care deep down, but is just not good at expressing it. I need someone who will be there for me when I am upset or don't feel well. I know this is just a couple of examples where I have felt like this and there are a lot of times where he has made me feel like he cares about me. I feel like I am probably over-reacting but I just can't deal with the way he acts sometimes. :frown:
"that's a shame" lmao that made me spit out my drink.

Yeah replies like "oh" aren't great tbh, I mean you can't expect him to be focused on you every minute asking how you are, but a bit of empathy wouldn't go amiss here. Rather than wondering what the problem with him is I'd bring it up, not as a big accusation, just maybe innocently ask about him being distant (as it doesn't sound there's been much communication). By the way this work thing. what was it, actual paid work, a work party etc?
"That's a shame" wtf!?
My boyfriend wouldn't leave my side if I had suffered a head injury, and especially after I let him know I was having dizzy spells.

My boyfriend actually suffers from dizzy spells quite frequently and has moments ( mostly in shops with awful lighting) where he feels as if he's going to faint and has to get out of said place straight away. It scares the life out of me! Maybe a bit dramatic I don't know, but for certain we would focus as much attention as possible on each other if either of us was in a fragile state.

Perhaps bring the subject up in conversation , but try not to sound accusing .Just let him know that you want to be able to trust him to look after and care for you and be able to rely on him.
Let him know how you felt during that time

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by joey11223
"that's a shame" lmao that made me spit out my drink.

Yeah replies like "oh" aren't great tbh, I mean you can't expect him to be focused on you every minute asking how you are, but a bit of empathy wouldn't go amiss here. Rather than wondering what the problem with him is I'd bring it up, not as a big accusation, just maybe innocently ask about him being distant (as it doesn't sound there's been much communication). By the way this work thing. what was it, actual paid work, a work party etc?

It was like a fundraising thing for charity which he was asked to help with.
Reply 4
Sack him off
Original post by Anonymous
So my boyfriend and I have been together for just over a year. We usually get on together really well and, other than when we have silly little arguments, he makes me happy, he is very sweet, understanding, trustworthy and I love him very much. However, recently there have been times when I have needed someone but I have felt like he actually does not care. I am usually quite a happy person but over the last month or so things have been getting to me a bit. I am in my last year of university and I feel under so much pressure. Recently, all of a sudden, I started crying in front of him because I felt like I could not cope with the work I had to do. It was the first time he has ever seen me cry. He was about to leave, so sat with me until I stopped crying, cuddled me a bit but didn't say anything, asked if I would be ok and then left. He didn't ask if I was ok after this or anything like that. This wasn't so bad, but I thought he could have been a bit more comforting.

However, last weekend, when he was staying over, I banged my head and got concussion. I told him I was going to A&E and he never offered to come, until I phoned NHS 24 and the nurse asked if someone would go with me, then he said he would come. He later said he was going to come in the first place anyway so I am not sure about that. He had a thing on at work a few hours later and when we got there he asked if I wanted him to leave me money to get home in case he had to leave. He never asked if I wanted him to stay and phone work to explain what had happened to see if someone else could do it. When I asked he did say he would phone. Anyway, we left the hospital before he was due at his work thing and when we got home I felt so bad I was just lying on the bed and could barely sit up because I was so dizzy. He then left me to go to the work thing and said he would be back. When he was away I was sick but then started to feel better by the time he got back. I asked him to stay with me for the rest of the day in case anything happened. The next day he texted me talking about random things but never mentioned my head. I said thanks for asking about my head and he said I was going to ask that next. Does it still hurt, do you feel dizzy? I said yes and he didn't reply. The next day I felt really dizzy and tired, so when I got home I just fell asleep. He texted me saying "hi" three times which I didn't see until the morning. I then said hi back and he replied are you ok? I said I keep feeling really dizzy, nearly fainted and slept since whenever I got home yesterday. He replied "oh". That is it. Then about half an hour later he did text saying how are you now etc. He said he would try and visit me during his work break but then was too busy at work, but didn't offer to visit me after work or anything. Before he text me to say he couldn't visit me, I was in uni at a meeting and I felt so dizzy when we were in a lab, I couldn't stand any more and almost fainted and had to be taken out. I went to a doctor and they told me the swelling on my head is quite bad for it being a few days after it happened, it's actually worse than before, and I was probably getting dizzy spells from the pressure on my head, but it would go away once the bump goes down. I'm never usually ill, but these last few days I have been really scared about this. He texted me tonight saying hi, how are you feeling? I said I'm fine, but I kind of fainted this morning, how are you? He replied saying "Oh, that's a shame, I'm ok but a bit tired". I can't understand how he can have such a lack of empathy. I'm sure anyone would say are you ok, how did you faint, where did it happen, or at least something other than just "oh, that's a shame". It's like he actually is not concerned at all.

I think he maybe does care deep down, but is just not good at expressing it. I need someone who will be there for me when I am upset or don't feel well. I know this is just a couple of examples where I have felt like this and there are a lot of times where he has made me feel like he cares about me. I feel like I am probably over-reacting but I just can't deal with the way he acts sometimes. :frown:

That's a big arsed wall!
I think he does care but he isn't very good at expressing it. The fact that he does keep texting you asking if you're okay obviously means he does care. I can understand the work thing but I can't understand why he hasn't visited you since then. His texts leave a lot to be desired but texts often do.
Reply 7
He's still not come to see how I am, and seems like he doesn't intend to, since he text me last night asking if I want to meet up at the weekend to go shopping or something. :/ I'm thinking of going to talk to him tonight, but don't know how to explain how I feel. When things like this happen I tend to get a bit carried away and sound too accusing...
Reply 8
(Aw, that's a shame...hehe)

I think this guy does care about you, but some guys are not really that good at the whole empathy thing. Guys are typically very goal-driven and like to solve problems rather than talk about problems. I think when you burst into tears or say how you're head hurts, you're not directly communicating to your man what you want him to do - which means he basically freezes up and does nothing.

Instead why don't you tell him what you want. Use the words "Would you..." in your communication. So instead of indirect communication and saying "My head feels dizzy" or "I nearly fainted..." or worse crying, say something like "Would you stay with me tonight?" Men respond better to direct communication and requests, rather than indirect.

Another example: Say you're carrying some bags that are heavy and you say to your man. "My back hurts...." hoping that he'd offer to take your bags off you and carry them.That would be the thoughful thing to do, but some guys don't take the hint so you need to be more direct and say "Would you carry these bags for me? You can finish that sentence with a reason, or if he asks for one but generally speaking a guy would be far more receptive to a direct request like that.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending