The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Bath Pro's and Con's??

Hello! I got an offer from bath a week ago and i'm stuck as to what uni to go to :frown: So i was wondering if anyone who goes to this uni could maybe give me a list of pro's and con's based on their experience? Be as honest as possible!!:smile:

Scroll to see replies

i haven't been to an open day though but it sounds really good if you look at their prospectus.

pros: 1st for student satisfaction,outstanding employment prospectus (even when the market is tough),vibrant city,funding packages,placements, vocational focus,learn another language, established uni,student union best 4th in uk and they welcome applicants from a range of qualifications.

cons: Personally i dont see any cons apart from high tution fees and high entrance requirements.

but if you got a place, congrats ..its a good uni.

On the ucas fair bath people were nice and friendy

...its academic, bath is a great place i went to a sch there and go for it...
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
I'm a first year and have been here at Bath not for 8 weeks :smile: What are you wanting to study? Depending on what it is I may be able to elaborate further on the actual course :smile:

Pros; Bath is a beautiful city, Buses are cheap, Bath is great for sport, The support at the uni both academically and mentally is brilliant, the courses are regarded well in the job market and its one of the best unis for getting you a placement if you so wish.

Cons; Lack of arts subjects means the uni is terrible at University Challenge, some people may think the accomadation is expensive (I don't think so but I know a fair few people do), the food on campus can be quite expensive too and the catered options on campus are't great.

If there's anything you want to know specifically let me know :smile:
Original post by Dingo749
I'm a first year and have been here at Bath not for 8 weeks :smile: What are you wanting to study? Depending on what it is I may be able to elaborate further on the actual course :smile:

Pros; Bath is a beautiful city, Buses are cheap, Bath is great for sport, The support at the uni both academically and mentally is brilliant, the courses are regarded well in the job market and its one of the best unis for getting you a placement if you so wish.

Cons; Lack of arts subjects means the uni is terrible at University Challenge, some people may think the accomadation is expensive (I don't think so but I know a fair few people do), the food on campus can be quite expensive too and the catered options on campus are't great.

Do you like it in Bath cuz i wanna apply there too.:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by 08.f.poswal
Do you like it in Bath cuz i wanna apply there too.:smile:

I like it here in Bath, I'd recommend it to anyone, especially those who wish to study maths! :smile:
I like it here in Bath, I'd recommend it to anyone, especially those who wish to study maths! :smile:

Im thinking on the lines of pharmacy or chemistry or biochemistry or summat like that.

:smile:
Reply 6
Im thinking on the lines of pharmacy or chemistry or biochemistry or summat like that.

:smile:

I have 2 chemists and a pharmacist in my flat and they seem to enjoy the course, the chemists especially get a lot of contact hours in labs and such, whilst I see the pharamacist doing a lot more reading from books and things but they both seem to be doing similar stuff, chemistry wise that is, as its only early days and in most courses they will try and give everyone a firm base from which to progress in their respective degrees :smile:
Pro: Excellent sports facilities
Con: All the guys there will break your heart
:moon: :cry2:
Reply 8

Hello! Thank you so much! I applied for biochemistry
I have 2 chemists and a pharmacist in my flat and they seem to enjoy the course, the chemists especially get a lot of contact hours in labs and such, whilst I see the pharamacist doing a lot more reading from books and things but they both seem to be doing similar stuff, chemistry wise that is, as its only early days and in most courses they will try and give everyone a firm base from which to progress in their respective degrees :smile:

oh cool. Is bath by any cahce better than UWE.:smile:
oh cool. Is bath by any cahce better than UWE.:smile:

Bath is ranked consistently as a top 10 University in the UK

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

Tables like this one show that, although I'd go through each one seperately as they all work on slightly different criteria and what matters to them may not matter to you :smile: The same can be said for biological sciences with Bath in 8th and UWE in 67th position :smile: But remember to not just go by statistics as you have to live in the place for 3/4/5 years and the feel for it can be just as important :smile: It was for me :smile:
Original post by ruqia
Hello! I got an offer from bath a week ago and i'm stuck as to what uni to go to :frown: So i was wondering if anyone who goes to this uni could maybe give me a list of pro's and con's based on their experience? Be as honest as possible!!:smile:

Hi ruqia,

I'm a second year student studying Modern Languages and European Studies. I can see that people have already posted lots of good reasons to study at Bath! I chose to study at Bath because the course was really contemporary (everything you study is useful for future careers), I also love the fact that everything on campus is within walking distance. And, of course, Bath is such a beautiful city!

If you have any specific questions feel free to quote me.

Carly
Reply 12
Anyone studying comp sci or know how the course and tutors are ?
Reply 13
Hi I've got an offer from bath and I'm thinking of putting it as my firm. I was just wondering what the night life was like?
Original post by Ben97jl
Hi I've got an offer from bath and I'm thinking of putting it as my firm. I was just wondering what the night life was like?

It's not too bad, although it depends on where you come from. If you're from a big city it might seem a bit more quiet.
In terms of clubs we have Po Nana's and Second Bridge, which are maybe the two most popular, along with Moles which is closed at the moment but will be open again by the time you get here. Second Bridge is a bit more pricey, and Moles is a bit sticky and can either be **** or the best night out.
We also have Weir Lounge which is pretty good, XL and Zero Zero which are a bit meh in my opinion.
We have a LOT of pubs of course (Malloys have pints for a pound on a Monday) and we have a couple of cocktail bars like Vodka Revolution and The Earl.
Overall Bath can be pretty enjoyable, but it's quite expensive so make sure you sort those pre-drinks out.

Oh, and you also have the Plug and Tub on campus, but I've only been a handful of times, but in comparison town is much better.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
UoBath or UoBristol?
Original post by iRaii
UoBath or UoBristol?

Bath for location, in my opinion. It's a lovely place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iRaii
UoBath or UoBristol?

Bath... I'm biased, but we rank a lot higher, we have stronger industrial contacts, and it's a nicer place to spend 3/4 years of your life - having said that, I'd happily be put up in a nice Georgian house in Clifton, don't know if that's anywhere near Bristol uni, though. (Also, Bristol uni is probably a lot prettier than Bath's concrete monstrosity of a campus.)
Bath is ranked consistently as a top 10 University in the UK

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

Tables like this one show that, although I'd go through each one seperately as they all work on slightly different criteria and what matters to them may not matter to you :smile: The same can be said for biological sciences with Bath in 8th and UWE in 67th position :smile: But remember to not just go by statistics as you have to live in the place for 3/4/5 years and the feel for it can be just as important :smile: It was for me :smile:

Hi there
Thats a very objective stance to take when comparing Universities and you've done very well not to make assumptions on the quality of the education provided by UWE.
I myself am a graduate from UWE in Biomedical Sciences, i am now studying for my Masters in Medical Biosciences at Bath for the very reasons you listed.
I recognised that people believed Bath to be the better University. In my opinion however Bath has been somewhat a let down. I suspect this is mostly confined to postgraduate students but i cant believe if they did a student satisfaction survey on the postgraduate students they'd get anywhere near the ratings they rave about on their website.
UWE has a strong research department with friendly staff and a significantly better equipped library and learning spaces. This might sound trivial but i can assure you Bath's have been a constant source of frustration. That and the complete lack of support for postgrads, for whom Bath is entirely new. If it weren't for the ratings i'd have stayed at UWE and a large part of me wishes i had.
I cant speak for the undergraduate experience at Bath, it will be different but i can say that UWE is very very good at looking after its students and you will be surprised how hands on the courses are.
Good luck, either way i'm sure your undergraduate degree will be enjoyable.
Original post by iRaii
UoBath or UoBristol?

Bristol
Iv lived/studied in both. Bristol is much friendlier and more interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest