best months to look for 2nd year housing? Watch

kb272
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Just wondering what are the best months to start looking for 2nd year housing? a lot of conflicting messages going around on it ..
Nymthae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kb272)
Just wondering what are the best months to start looking for 2nd year housing? a lot of conflicting messages going around on it ..
There's a few factors:

a) good houses will go quickly once they're up, although they are not necessarily always put up first. It's more worth hanging on to find a decent house, than signing for somewhere that's damp and full of other issues the landlord doesn't care about. Private landlords (the uni housing finder is good for this, as they vet them) vary a bit more in their timings and when they bother to advertise. Letting agents will always have load though, there is no worry of a shortage...

b) if you're looking for a large number of bedrooms then there are fewer, so you do need to consider doing it earlier (i.e. i'd start at least having a look at what's on offer now) to stand a chance. Comparatively, if you're looking for something like ~4 then I wouldn't rush.

c) are you actually sure about who you want to live with? Lots of people sign a contract and regret it, after they've lived with their current flat mates a bit longer, or had a falling out/drama with whoever they signed with.

It's basically not bad to have an idea as early as possible. I think a good time to actually look is probably after the exam period in January, because people have the time to do it, and you've had time to settle with people you like. It's by no means a hard and fast rule though, I signed later than that this year (final year), but signed before that during my first year.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pretty much now if you want a good place, ideally signing by the end of November. You can wait quite a while if you're not too fussy though.
kb272
Rep:
?
Thank you for the advice , much appreciated!
Dr Pesto
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
Pretty much now if you want a good place, ideally signing by the end of November. You can wait quite a while if you're not too fussy though.
Signing by the end of November? You don't even need to think about it till after Christmas.
Helloworld_95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dr Pesto)
Signing by the end of November? You don't even need to think about it till after Christmas.
From what myself and most people I know have experienced, yes you do. Most people I knew from last year signed by December at the latest and the rest either didn't have people to live with or were sorting out a one or two bed apartment where you have a lot more time.

Maybe in somewhere like Crookes, Walkley or Sharrow you have that much time, or for something on the lower end in Crookesmoor and Broomhill, but for mid to high end properties in those areas, or anything in S1, Broomhall or Ecclesall you should be aiming to sign by the end of November, early December.
The University of Sheffield
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kb272)
Hi,

You will perhaps be aware that a lot of your fellow first years might already be viewing and signing for houses at the moment. There tends to be a lot of anxiety around this time about looking for properties, which is in part fueled by all the letting agents releasing their properties at this time.

The important thing is not to panic about finding a place for second year - there are more student properties in Sheffield than there are students, so there is no need to rush into making a decision. You'll probably notice that, although first years are worrying about houses now, 2nd or 3rd years will be leaving it much later, in most cases until after Christmas and beyond, until they start looking seriously. This is because they know from experience that there's no need to panic about finding a place, and that it's better to take your time, view a few properties and make an informed decision. I have known people find perfectly nice houses in May and June, although I probably wouldn't recommend leaving it as late as June. To quote Tom Harrison, the SU Welfare Office: "It’s that time of year again! The annual November house hunting frenzy of activity begins. Local letting agents will start to deploy an array of mind-boggling marketing techniques to convince students that they need to rent now, before it’s too late. I would like to stress that this is totally unnecessary and there is a good supply of affordable accommodation available throughout the year, despite what the agents may be telling you"

Nymthae is right to say that you should be sure that you're going to be happy living with the people your signing a contract with - although you're getting on well with your flatmates or coursemates now, you've only known them a couple of months. Things might be quite different come next July, and living with people you like and get on with is very important. If you know your flatmate is super messy and you're a clean freak, chances are living in a shared house with them (with a shared bathroom and no university cleaning service) is going to spark a lot of arguments. It's stuff like this you might want to consider before signing a contract.

It's also true that there are fewer large properties, so if you're wanting more than 4-5 people to a house, it probably is best to start your search earlier. There are a huge number of 3, 4 and 5 bed houses though, so if that's what you're after you can afford to take your time a little more.

For the best advice, I would highly recommend you have a look at the Students' Union's "Smart Move" webpages, which are full of useful advice about how to house hunt. They are also running a house-hunting fair on 25th of November where you'll be able to chat to reputable letting agents and landlords and ask any questions you might have.

I hope that clears things up for you a little bit!

Kind regards,

Georgie, Student Communications Team at the University of Sheffield
kb272
Rep:
?
(Original post by The University of Sheffield)
Hi,

You will perhaps be aware that a lot of your fellow first years might already be viewing and signing for houses at the moment. There tends to be a lot of anxiety around this time about looking for properties, which is in part fueled by all the letting agents releasing their properties at this time.

The important thing is not to panic about finding a place for second year - there are more student properties in Sheffield than there are students, so there is no need to rush into making a decision. You'll probably notice that, although first years are worrying about houses now, 2nd or 3rd years will be leaving it much later, in most cases until after Christmas and beyond, until they start looking seriously. This is because they know from experience that there's no need to panic about finding a place, and that it's better to take your time, view a few properties and make an informed decision. I have known people find perfectly nice houses in May and June, although I probably wouldn't recommend leaving it as late as June. To quote Tom Harrison, the SU Welfare Office: "It’s that time of year again! The annual November house hunting frenzy of activity begins. Local letting agents will start to deploy an array of mind-boggling marketing techniques to convince students that they need to rent now, before it’s too late. I would like to stress that this is totally unnecessary and there is a good supply of affordable accommodation available throughout the year, despite what the agents may be telling you"

Nymthae is right to say that you should be sure that you're going to be happy living with the people your signing a contract with - although you're getting on well with your flatmates or coursemates now, you've only known them a couple of months. Things might be quite different come next July, and living with people you like and get on with is very important. If you know your flatmate is super messy and you're a clean freak, chances are living in a shared house with them (with a shared bathroom and no university cleaning service) is going to spark a lot of arguments. It's stuff like this you might want to consider before signing a contract.

It's also true that there are fewer large properties, so if you're wanting more than 4-5 people to a house, it probably is best to start your search earlier. There are a huge number of 3, 4 and 5 bed houses though, so if that's what you're after you can afford to take your time a little more.

For the best advice, I would highly recommend you have a look at the Students' Union's "Smart Move" webpages, which are full of useful advice about how to house hunt. They are also running a house-hunting fair on 25th of November where you'll be able to chat to reputable letting agents and landlords and ask any questions you might have.

I hope that clears things up for you a little bit!

Kind regards,

Georgie, Student Communications Team at the University of Sheffield
Thank you for clearing things up , very helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (53)
21.03%
Unconditional if firmed (20)
7.94%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
0.79%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (6)
2.38%
No unconditional offers (171)
67.86%

Watched Threads