Parking ticket rights

Watch
klomd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

I was issued a parking ticket at the beginning of october whilst at university, however I did not realise this until a few days ago when I visited home and opened my post to find I had received the Parking Charge Notice. but I never had a parking ticket placed on my windshield. Now I've tried googling the answer to this but im obviously wording it wrong as nothing has appeared thats relevant. but basically im wondering under what conditions does a parking control company not have to put the yellow sticker on your windshield with the charge inside it. I am appealing this as if I had of known about it I could've paid £60 instead of £100, but basically I want to know if I can use the fact that I was not properly notified about the charge in the first place to pay for it, against the company when i go to POPLA to appeal.

now I know people go on with this bullsh*t about just not paying but tbh I'd rather beat them instead of them giving up and it having to cost them in the process when it goes to POPLA. also I dont know anyone who has successfully ignored them with proof of it so I'd rather not take my chances for now

thanks for any help
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If it is a university then not paying the ticket will simply mean it could get on your student financial records, that means just like a library fine you won't be able to get your results or graduate as it will be deemed that you owe money to the university.

The company doesn't need to place any notice at all on your windshield as long as they have sent a notice to the registered keeper's current address then they have done all they need to do legally.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by klomd)

now I know people go on with this bullsh*t about just not paying
How much proof would you like?
I've got a drawer full of "we'll send you to court" letters going back 10 years.

Also got the remains of a clamp in the shed that I cut off a car which is slowly being cut up into even smaller pieces for odd welding jobs!

You can fill out the popla request though... it'll cost them 20 quid which they can't claim back even if they ever did bother taking you to court.

Only exception to ignoring letters is if as the above mentions it's from a university that you currently attend or it's a council ticket in which case you do need to do something about it.
pjm600
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by klomd)
Hi,

I was issued a parking ticket at the beginning of october whilst at university, however I did not realise this until a few days ago when I visited home and opened my post to find I had received the Parking Charge Notice. but I never had a parking ticket placed on my windshield. Now I've tried googling the answer to this but im obviously wording it wrong as nothing has appeared thats relevant. but basically im wondering under what conditions does a parking control company not have to put the yellow sticker on your windshield with the charge inside it. I am appealing this as if I had of known about it I could've paid £60 instead of £100, but basically I want to know if I can use the fact that I was not properly notified about the charge in the first place to pay for it, against the company when i go to POPLA to appeal.

now I know people go on with this bullsh*t about just not paying but tbh I'd rather beat them instead of them giving up and it having to cost them in the process when it goes to POPLA. also I dont know anyone who has successfully ignored them with proof of it so I'd rather not take my chances for now

thanks for any help
Why would they have to put a sticker on your window? As far as I'm aware, that's just the done thing. The £60 is a discount they offer if you pay it sooner, but I don't think that'll be in the terms of use of the carpark. The £100 is the actual failure to pay charge.

I'd probably ignore it personally, but obviously that's not legal advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.94%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (890)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.87%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads