The Student Room Group

Are most people 'shallow'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Balloon Baboon
Lots and lots of things. But I've never seen a god.

And what do you suppose about the creation of the universe and all that lives within it?
Original post by whowasfone
you're assuming god has a body and lives in this world. i think that would be a person, which wouldnt be god.

:biggrin: I'm not the one assuming.

Again, I believe what I can see.
Original post by lilacunicorn
And what do you suppose about the creation of the universe and all that lives within it?

I've never really put much thought into it. What do you believe?
:biggrin: I'm not the one assuming.

Again, I believe what I can see.

you do know that a lot of people claim to "see" god.
your senses are not perfect.

if you think your eyes always show you the reality of things, you're deluded.
your vision is mostly based in your brain, which is why a lot of people can hallucinate and see things that are not there.
personally, i think the "i believe what i can see" is a bit ignorant
you "see" what you want to see. an atheist sees the world as godless and a theist will see god everywhere in the world. that's no proof for either case.
i prefer looking at the logic of the argument for/against god. i believe if god did exist, he wouldn't be the god of islam/christianity etc. if he did, he would have a lot of questions to answer and personally, i would refuse to worship said god on ethical grounds
you do know that a lot of people claim to "see" god.

Yes and facts are based on evidence. Not people claming to see a god.

if you think your eyes always show you the reality of things, you're deluded.

Then show me factual basis that a god ever existed. If not, we're all deluded, aren't we?

personally, i think the "i believe what i can see" is a bit ignorant

I personally believe that god and religion exists for so many people. And more importantly, if it makes those people happy then that's fantastic. But for me, I work with actual facts.

If that makes me ignorant, so be it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes and facts are based on evidence. Not people claming to see a god.

Then show me factual basis that a god ever existed. If not, we're all deluded, aren't we?

I personally believe that god and religion exists for so many people. And more importantly, if it makes those people happy then that's fantastic. But for me, I work with actual facts.

If that makes me ignorant, so be it.
i never said god existed. i just said your belief system is flawed and you're an idiot and probably believe what you believe because you're insecure
i never said god existed. i just said your belief system is flawed and you're an idiot and probably believe what you believe because you're insecure

:biggrin: Well done replying to my post with an actual mature answer.
Yes.
:biggrin: Well done replying to my post with an actual mature answer.

religion is about faith. not empirical evidence. you can go and do some research on the matter if you really care. if god DID exist, why would he bother proving himself to a neckbeard like you when he could be doing better things?
religion is about faith. not empirical evidence. you can go and do some research on the matter if you really care. if god DID exist, why would he bother proving himself to a neckbeard like you when he could be doing better things?

:biggrin: Religion is only based on faith if you believe in religion, and let me tell you, not everyone does.

You seem to have this issue with other peoples opinions, which is very, very shallow.
:biggrin: Religion is only based on faith if you believe in religion, and let me tell you, not everyone does.

You seem to have this issue with other peoples opinions, which is very, very shallow.
you seem to have this idea that the existence of god (the greatest conceivable power by definition) revolves around whether YOU can "see" him or not.
you seem to have this idea that the existence god (the greatest conceivable power by definition) revolves around whether YOU can "see" him or not.

Let me ask you, what do you believe?
Let me ask you, what do you believe?

i believe you're an idiot
i believe you're an idiot

Awww, cop out. :biggrin:
The pursuirt of the aesthetic is at once one of the great glories and universal themes of humanity and a major cause of the suffering Buddha warns us of, feeding on desire and ego. The narcissist is the epitome of this but we all have that vanity and insecurity in the physical form we present to the world. As mentioned above this also works on a level of evolutionary psychology too (see halo effect). YMMV insofar as how much you seek to be consumed by the lust for beauty. Myself I am seeking to reduce my need for the aesthetic while retaining the basic pride in health and moderate self-care; beauty is skin deep, as it were.

Quick Reply

Latest