joey11223
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Arkasia)
Yes.

Lest we forget.
Forget what exactly? All most of the general public know of WW1 is "lots of people died", I imagine the large majority would mix up WW1 with WW2 when it came to multiple events during the conflicts if you quizzed them. People generally know vague details about WW2, but do people on the street even know why WW1 happened at all, bar "Germany was doing bad things".

And honestly, it's not like remembering they lost 800k+ troops 100 years ago discourages any nation from repeating such a war, the only reason we don't fight like that now is technology and MAD.

Chucked some money in the collection boxes we have, not wearing a poppy. (not as some statement against it, just don't feel the need).
futbol
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nah. I acknowledge what our servicemen and women have done through the years in protecting our country but this doesn't mean I have to wear one.
Arkasia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by joey11223)
Forget what exactly? All most of the general public know of WW1 is "lots of people died", I imagine the large majority would mix up WW1 with WW2 when it came to multiple events during the conflicts if you quizzed them.

And honestly, it's not like remembering they lost 800k+ troops 100 years ago discourages any nation from repeating such a war, the only reason we don't fight like that now is technology and MAD.

Chucked some money in the collection boxes we have, not wearing a poppy. (not as some statement against it, just don't feel the need).
That's the problem, we don't see it is a tragedy or a waste, we see it as a figure - a statistic from 100 years ago. The public should do all they can to learn, and their apathy does not lessen the fact that we should care.

Fair enough, it's like the ALS challenge. Donating is fine, it shows you put some effort in. Better than those dickbags who are undoubtedly wearing a poppy solely to gain some kind of moral high-ground.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yes, because i am an Englishman.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No I won't be.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes
tmckinnin56
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The least we forget the better

Posted from TSR Mobile
reikazen
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
im not wearing them because i keep losing them have got three from work so far.
WolfBird
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nope.
Sir Killalot
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nope.

And I'm sick of people asking me at work why I'm not wearing one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (50)
30.86%
No (84)
51.85%
Don't know (28)
17.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed