Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What do you think the best uni is which strikes a balance between having great nightlife and being fun, as well as being academically respected with good degrees and job prospects?

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham

ReputationRep:
    Manchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    What do you think the best uni is which strikes a balance between having great nightlife and being fun, as well as being academically respected with good degrees and job prospects?
    Any university in the top ten. To be honest the social life is what you make it, you'll have a blast where ever you go. Weren't you thinking of applying to cambridge Ellie? Work hard, play hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Any university in the top ten. To be honest the social life is what you make it, you'll have a blast where ever you go. Weren't you thinking of applying to cambridge Ellie? Work hard, play hard!
    Yeah I will apply to Cambridge I think, but I want to have 5 solid back-ups 'cos I think I'll be needing them! Plus, I'm a bit apprehensive I'll find Cam a bit insular after living in London so long.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I will apply to Cambridge I think, but I want to have 5 solid back-ups 'cos I think I'll be needing them! Plus, I'm a bit apprehensive I'll find Cam a bit insular after living in London so long.
    If it helps I live in brighton (not quite as big as london unfort) and when I went to see cambridge I found it lovely. It was a bit quiet but there is nightlife...somewhere... You've got all those ents going on anyway, who needs clubs.

As it is I'm off to london next year.

ReputationRep:
    If it helps I live in brighton (not quite as big as london unfort) and when I went to see cambridge I found it lovely. It was a bit quiet but there is nightlife...somewhere... You've got all those ents going on anyway, who needs clubs.

As it is I'm off to london next year.
    Yeah, as they say, a place it what you make it. I'm sure I'll be happy wherever I end up as long as I approach it with the right attitude

er hello..york-dullest uni in the country as voted by *their* students hehe

nottingham, birmingham, bristol, ucl and manchester,the rest dont come near

ReputationRep:
    remember that cambridge is a town not a city... thus a very differnet environment. i have several friends at oxford and cambridge and from what they say the social scene seems really immature and based solely around alcohol or discussing philosophy... running about breaking into each others halls etc... i dont think i'd bother leaving my room! i was going to apply to cambridge a couple of years ago, but it seemed way too much like a boarding school. go for a city where theres loads of activity besides what goes on in hte uni. somewhere like manchester or leeds where theres a couple of universities therefore the city is geared up for lots of people your age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    er hello..york-dullest uni in the country as voted by *their* students hehe

nottingham, birmingham, bristol, ucl and manchester,the rest dont come near
    good point, i forgot about york. Ha ha, a girl at school came back after an open day and proclaimed that they didn't have a SU! Still think london unis are the best...and the most expensive, but I am prejudiced.

Still think london unis are the best...and the most expensive, but I am prejudiced.
    have friends at all the major london unis's, darn i forgot kings, it definetly deserves a nod, but as for lse and imperial...(i do realise you are going there so am reluctant to be rude but you *will* have to make an effort to branch out with that lot, are you applying for an inter-collegiate hall?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    have friends at all the major london unis's, darn i forgot kings, it definetly deserves a nod, but as for lse and imperial...(i do realise you are going there so am reluctant to be rude but you *will* have to make an effort to branch out with that lot, are you applying for an inter-collegiate hall?)
    I know Am hoping there will be a couple of sociable people there! It's ok, be constructively rude I'm quite aware of Imperial's *ahem* impotencies in the social area. I've got a couple of friends going there so fingers crossed.

Inter-collegiate halls are in bloomsbury and as I'm a lazy sod I think I'm going to go for Imperial halls. What do you friends at Imperial say?

ReputationRep:
    MANCHESTER! They don't call it Madchester and 24 Four Hour Party city for nothing. Even geeks have fun here.

ReputationRep:
    sheffield is also a great city for having fun in, and sheffield uni is really good too

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying to (Cambridge) + Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Nottingham and Newcastle. I think these 5 will all give me what I'm looking for

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying to (Cambridge) + Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Nottingham and Newcastle. I think these 5 will all give me what I'm looking for
    good luck! these are all great uni's so i'm sure you'll have a great time whichever one you go to!

Inter-collegiate halls are in bloomsbury and as I'm a lazy sod I think I'm going to go for Imperial halls. What do you friends at Imperial say?
    hmm i have a friend doing biology and another doing medicine, the medicine one is a bit weird so i cant be bothered to talk to her but the biology one seems pretty unhappy and is spending more time with pre-uni friends, she just doesnt like the atmosphere there and people spend too much time working and rarely go out, but perhaps she just got unlucky. hmm cant remember which halls she is in offhand but will find out..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    hmm i have a friend doing biology and another doing medicine, the medicine one is a bit weird so i cant be bothered to talk to her but the biology one seems pretty unhappy and is spending more time with pre-uni friends, she just doesnt like the atmosphere there and people spend too much time working and rarely go out, but perhaps she just got unlucky. hmm cant remember which halls she is in offhand but will find out..
    Gah, ok, I've got a network of people going to Kings/LSE/Royal Vet so Imperial gets really out of hand I'll steer clear of it. Well at least it's a supportive environment for studying...

Cheers rah

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar position, live in London and looking for a respected uni that will put hold me in good stead for employment. After going to Warwicks recent open day I have to say i was really impressed by what the campus had to offer but am still worried that it might get a tad repetitive in comparison to the choice available at a city uni like Manchester.
    At the moment I'm seriously looking at Manchester, Leeds, Warwick, Nottingham, Southampton and Bath. Although I'm lucky that my course (Econ) is available everywhere .

ReputationRep:
    Great Uni's for average students are:
    1.Manchester
    2.Birmingham
    3.Leeds
    All three are very lively.
    The grade requirements are quite easily achievable provided you put in some revision.
    Not too difficult to get an offer if you meet the AS requirements, except for Law, English etc.
    Well respected universities.
    Nottingham and Bristol are probably the best thing that can happen to average students-if you think you're average and got an offer, well give yourself a pat on the back

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.