Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sianabanana)
    Life's not fair. I'm working to get the grades for Oxford, when I think i'd rather go to Manchester (my second choice), but I'd be gutted if I didn't get the grades. Plus, i live near to Manchester and want to move away. But Oxford sounds crap compared to what I'm used to. Although I can always go to Manchester when I'm at home. Guess I'll just go wherever the wind takes me. But...
    I can understand what you mean. I have two friends who are at Oxford at the moment, but they both find it too quiet after living in and around Manchester all their lives. Plus neither are too bothered about getting a high paying job when they leave uni, they put more emphasis on getting the most out of life - which they think Oxford isn't letting them do. After only being there a year they have both decided to move into big cities (one Manchester, one London) and go f*cking 'choose life' so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    I'm going to apply for land econ at Cam, and straight economics everywhere else. I should get AAAA (fingers crossed!), and want to move out of London because I've spent so much of my time here growing up, I'm a bit bored of it now! I went to Warwick open day too, but I need more to be happening off-campus than it offers (though on-campus ents did look v good). I think I have to head to the big city universities to find what I'm looking for.
    I was thinking about applying for Land Economy, do you know much about it? Because I don't really know anything and my teacher said it's not that highly regarded (by people within the uni) and is full of foolish rugby players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I was thinking about applying for Land Economy, do you know much about it? Because I don't really know anything and my teacher said it's not that highly regarded (by people within the uni) and is full of foolish rugby players.
    My careers advisor said the exact same thing. He said its the choice of people who simply want to say they've been to Cambridge for an ego boost. Its not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    My careers advisor said the exact same thing. He said its the choice of people who simply want to say they've been to Cambridge for an ego boost. Its not worth it.
    It's a shame that! I was actually struck by the content of the course, as it draws on all the subjects which I study atm and offers some variation. Ah well, I guess it will just have to be straight law.

Oh, I have been meaning to ask you something - I saw a thread on the LNAT a while ago, and somebody listed the institutions that will be enforcing the mandatory test next academic year. They didn't mention KCL amongst those institutions and (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) that you said KCL were doing the LNAT.

Nothing that I have read in relation to LNAT mentions KCL, I'm not trying to refute your claims as I don't really know - I'm just confused - are KCL doing LNAT or not?

ReputationRep:
    What a load of *******s. The course only has a bad rep, in some uninformed circles because the course used to be (decades ago) a course which was easy to get in to. It now requires AAA like any other Cambridge course and is very high regarded by employers (it has an excellent grad employment record), check the stats for yourself if you want. It's not an easy course at all, and if you want to do it, go for it, and don't listen to the idiots that tell you otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame that! I was actually struck by the content of the course, as it draws on all the subjects which I study atm and offers some variation. Ah well, I guess it will just have to be straight law.

Oh, I have been meaning to ask you something - I saw a thread on the LNAT a while ago, and somebody listed the institutions that will be enforcing the mandatory test next academic year. They didn't mention KCL amongst those institutions and (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) that you said KCL were doing the LNAT.

Nothing that I have read in relation to LNAT mentions KCL, I'm not trying to refute your claims as I don't really know - I'm just confused - are KCL doing LNAT or not?
    I dont really know either, I'm just going off something I read somewhere. Initially, they were for it, but I dont know about it now.

ReputationRep:
    I dont really know either, I'm just going off something I read somewhere. Initially, they were for it, but I dont know about it now.
    Fair enough. A lot of things that I have read suggest that the test will draw on similar material to critical thinking AS-level. Do you reckon it's worth me self-studying for critical thinking AS-level (which apparently isn't that work intensive) and taking it in January of next year?

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. A lot of things that I have read suggest that the test will draw on similar material to critical thinking AS-level. Do you reckon it's worth me self-studying for critical thinking AS-level (which apparently isn't that work intensive) and taking it in January of next year?
    Well I've just finished my second year, and am taking both AS and A2 General Studies exams (which is similar to Critical Thinking) now. It means one hell of a lot of exams in a short space of time, but its not too work-heavy. I havent actually had a single lesson on GS, but I am still taking the whole a-level in one sitting - and so far I've found it pretty easy.

So yeah, I think you may as well take it, if you'll find it easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolDude13)
    oh forgoodness sake what an *******...lifes not fair yet you have a place at oxford and manchester? there are many people who dont have a choice.
    What an idiot.
    I take it you didn't quite get the fact that I'm still taking the piss out of myself? I understand that some people haven't got the choice, I have friends who only got into their last choice uni. But they don't envy my situation either.

And I'd prefer it if you didn't call me an *******. Or an idiot. You sound bitter.

ReputationRep:
    Well I've just finished my second year, and am taking both AS and A2 General Studies exams (which is similar to Critical Thinking) now. It means one hell of a lot of exams in a short space of time, but its not too work-heavy. I havent actually had a single lesson on GS, but I am still taking the whole a-level in one sitting - and so far I've found it pretty easy.

So yeah, I think you may as well take it, if you'll find it easy.
    Apparently General Studies (which I'm doing to A2) is easier than Critical Thinking. CT is meant to be more difficult than the 'easy A-level' tag which many people place on it, but similar to General Studies, it usually takes the form of either a sporadically taught or non-taught subject at many institutions. I think it is only available as an AS, so I may just get entered for all the exams in January.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    ... and got asked for an interview at Salford (although they eventually gave him an offer without one when he couldn't make it). We were all a bit confused about that to be honest.
    They were probably trying to sell it to him.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.