Lynne31
Badges: 2
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have to write an essay on the following: with reference to psychological theory, discuss it's application to our understanding of development, behaviour, learning or personality.

I have chosen behaviour but it's a 2,000 word essay, so I'm really not sure what part of behaviour to go into detail about.

We have been asked to include key theories and research findings to support our answers to the question, but I'm not entirely sure what the question is??

Any help would be great. Just for info. I am very new to Psychology and this is the first essay I have attempted.

*** I wondered if this is asking us to explain what, for example, the humanistic approach, has taught us about behaviour? ****

Thanks
Magdatrix >_<
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what the question is either... discuss WHAT's application to our understanding of behaviour??

Do you have to write about a specific theory?

What topic/module does it relate to?

If the question really is this vague, then I guess you can take control and define it in a way that is interesting to you...
Lynne31
Hi

Exactly, this is what I'm not sure on...
The course is an introduction to Pyschology and each week so far we have looked at different perspectives - biological, behavioural, cognitive, psychoanalytical & humanistic...

I'm quite interested in the humanistic perspective so wondered whether to look at it from that perspective....
Magdatrix >_<
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lynne31)
Hi

Exactly, this is what I'm not sure on...
The course is an introduction to Pyschology and each week so far we have looked at different perspectives - biological, behavioural, cognitive, psychoanalytical & humanistic...

I'm quite interested in the humanistic perspective so wondered whether to look at it from that perspective....
From my understanding, you could tackle this two ways:

1. Pick one perspective you studied (e.g.humanistic) and discuss "with reference to humanistic theory, discuss it's application to the understanding of behaviour etc."

2. Discuss all of the perspectives you've learnt about, comparing them, and highlighting strengths/weaknesses of each, so
"with reference to psychological theorIES, discuss THEIR application to the understanding of behaviour etc."

Lynne31
(Original post by Magdatrix >_<)
From my understanding, you could tackle this two ways:

1. Pick one perspective you studied (e.g.humanistic) and discuss "with reference to humanistic theory, discuss it's application to the understanding of behaviour etc."

2. Discuss all of the perspectives you've learnt about, comparing them, and highlighting strengths/weaknesses of each, so
"with reference to psychological theorIES, discuss THEIR application to the understanding of behaviour etc."

Thanks very much for your feedback, I'll give the first one a go I think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (137)
33.74%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.35%
No (110)
27.09%
I'm not sure (52)
12.81%

Watched Threads