What do you think about modern British (western) culture?

Watch
Harry9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Are gay people born gay or are they influenced by their environment? Should they be able to get married?

Should abortions be legal or illegal?

Is feminism still needed? Has it developed an anti-male agenda?

Has multiculturalism been a success or failure?

Is Islamophobia a prejudice or an excusable concern?

Has political correctness gone too far?
Mahnaz96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Dunno.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cerdic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Harry9)
Are gay people born gay or are they influenced by their environment? Should they be able to get married?
Not sure there is a definitive answer to this, it's an active area of debate. "Gay genes" have seemingly been found, but still. Yes they should be able to get married.

Legal.

Feminism is still needed, but in the "Let's all be equal" sense not the "Cis straight men are oppressors" sense. Feminism hasn't, some so called 'feminists' (Tumblr Feminazis) have.

Our society is ever evolving and diversifying. Multiculturalism is a thing of the present, not of the past. Multiculturalism succeeds as long as it celebrates everyone and everyone is happy celebrating each other. Arguing that one group of people is better than another leads to nowhere.

A prejudice. Extremoislamophobia (yeah I made that up) is a genuine concern in the same way that fearing murderous Catholics is a concern.

Potentially. I want to make jokes about all my friends (which I do).
perfectsymbology
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think things were better under Henry VIII. That guy didn't give a fig about political correctness.
P357
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

1.Illegal ...bar circumstances where the mother has been raped or has legitimate health concerns.
2. I don't find it bothersome if gay people get to be allowed to enter a civil partnership. Whether homosexuality is "biologically natural"( if you will) or not hasn't been scientifically established yet,however. Meh...Live and let live?
3.It's not.At all.I truly wish the third-wave would hurry up and die and then stay dead.
4.Failure.Hardly any positives.
5.Excusable concern. Shouting "homophobia"=having an agenda.
6. Rotherham et al.
Dannaaay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I believe it is down to both genetics and environment. They should be able to get married. They are humans like everyone else, being gay doesn't make you sub-human.

Illegal unless in circumstances where there is a disability. But not a disability such as a cleft lip. My mum has one and had it repaired as a baby and you can barely notice any difference from anyone else, so when I read articles about babies being aborted for cleft lips it disgusts me, especially when I know how easily repaired they are. Disgusting.

Being female, I still notice a lot of inequality, especially in the workplace. However, I feel an anti-male agenda has been developed and I feel this is wrong. Feminism is not about vilifying men. It is about ensuring we have equal rights.

I'm not going to comment on this one, my discussions on this topic are always so long

I think that it is both justified and unjustified. Islamic extremists are always in the news, such as those hundreds of girls who have been forced to convert to Islam and then have been married off, essentially slavery as their human rights have been withdrawn. However, I am very close with several Islamic families so I know that this is not the case in the majority of families in this culture and religion. It is difficult to make a decision as we see one side of extremist Islam on the media, but I also see the caring, loving families of my friends.

Definitely! I understand the need to be professional and respectful, especially in a workplace as I have applied for nursing, however I feel we are often trapped by our words as we can say something and mean it perfectly innocently but someone will take offence. I think that there are so many people in this world that no matter what you say someone will find some way to take offence to it. However, I am still always cautious and respectful when I speak to people I don't know. But I do feel it has gone a little far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dannaaay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh yes, and on the abortion front if the mother has been raped she should be allowed to terminate. Sorry about it all being in the quote in my previous post, I forgot to end the quote marks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (73)
22.6%
Excited but a bit nervous (146)
45.2%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.76%
I'm really nervous (66)
20.43%

Watched Threads