Describe the Cognitive Approach in Psychology and Evaluate its Research Methods Watch

jamie7991
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have missed all of my psychology lessons on the cognitive approach and I have been given this 10 mark question please could anyone give me any help with it.
Puddles the Monkey
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jamie7991)
I have missed all of my psychology lessons on the cognitive approach and I have been given this 10 mark question please could anyone give me any help with it.
Heya, I'm going to put this in the psychology forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=211
Thoth's World
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey, its probably too late to help you for your question. But if you still need help, I'm willing to do so
jamie7991
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Sorry for not replying I completely forgot about this post

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thoth's World
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry for not replying I completely forgot about this post

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem, was everything okay afterwards?
_tereziaa_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Probably a little late, but you caught me good time :P Good revision for me: Well, the cognitive approach believes that Abnormality is caused by the way we think. If we can change how someone is thinking, we can change the way they behave - which will, cure them from their abnormality.

These negative views are caused by 3 factors: Negative Schemas, Cognity Biases and the Cognitive Triad.

Negative Schemas, are our beliefs about the world, its like a packet of information which is unique to each of us, and we all have thousands of schemas in our mind. Self Schemas are beliefs we have about ourselves, These can be, "I am rubbish at everything. I'm going to fail all my exams." etc. Negative self schemas are very hard to change because even if you told them they aren't bad, they will not try, because they always see failing, even if they try hard they still fail, which will be very hard to change. Negative schemas link to Beck's Cognitive Triad.
Negative view of the self --> Negative view of the future --> negative view of the world (they can be in any order and any direction)
He believes that negative self-schemas lead to depression. They are difficult to change but with therapy, it is possible.

Cognitive Biases are negative thoughts which are unconscious and rapid responses to certain situations. These prevent the person from focusing on the positive side of life so reinforce their negative views.
There are two Cognitive Biases: Minimisation - minimising success in life: Attributing good exam results to luck. AND Maximisation - maximising the importance of trivial failures. Thinking you're stupid if you fail to complete a Sudoku. Maximisation is kind of an exaggeration .
The Cognitive Biases link to Elli's ABC model which suggests that (A) an activating event is affected by (B) an individuals belief which results in (C) a consequence.
If beliefs are a subject to cognitive biases, then they can cause rational thinking which may produce undesirable behaviour.

Let me know if you need the evaluation of it, but this is about it.
Not that hard.
Hope this helped a little -3-
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19
  • De Montfort University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (31)
11.03%
I used to but I don't now (10)
3.56%
No, but I want to start (104)
37.01%
No, I am unable to (59)
21%
No, I chose not to (77)
27.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise