The Student Room Group

A Level or IB for Medical School?

Hi. I'm at the point where I have to choose the way to continue my educational journey. First of all I want to go to medical school and second I hate Maths but love all the other sciences. If I take A level I would choose Maths, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology for AS and then continue the three sciences in A2. But I'm getting the feeling that this is very limited. Which led me to IB where I would take Biology, Chemistry, and Economics at HL and Maths at SL. I don't know whether that will damages my chances at applying to medical school since I'm only taking two sciences at HL (I can't take Maths at HL or A2, I'd fail). Any help at all would be much appreciated, even advice on changes in subject choices. Oh and I'd like to apply to a medical school either here in the U.K. or Canada. Thank you so much.
Reply 1
Original post by student467
Hi. I'm at the point where I have to choose the way to continue my educational journey. First of all I want to go to medical school and second I hate Maths but love all the other sciences. If I take A level I would choose Maths, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology for AS and then continue the three sciences in A2. But I'm getting the feeling that this is very limited. Which led me to IB where I would take Biology, Chemistry, and Economics at HL and Maths at SL. I don't know whether that will damages my chances at applying to medical school since I'm only taking two sciences at HL (I can't take Maths at HL or A2, I'd fail). Any help at all would be much appreciated, even advice on changes in subject choices. Oh and I'd like to apply to a medical school either here in the U.K. or Canada. Thank you so much.

You'd be doing the full IB Diploma right? You can't get into med school in the UK without, I don't know about Canada. Anyway, I did the IB and it was a total bitch; you'd be better off with A-levels.
For UK medical schools you don't even need maths at A-level
Reply 3
If I choose A Levels, what are the best subject choices for medical schools?
Reply 4
Original post by ahmedddUUU
For UK medical schools you don't even need maths at A-level

Biology/Chemistry/Maths/
Philosophy&Ethis/History
Reply 6

I think you should do A levels. IB is very time consuming and you would definitely have to do maths at some level for the IB. For A levels all you really need is Biology, Chemistry and 2 other strong subjects. For some medical schools It helps to do a third science so I would suggest physics. Then the fourth subject can be anything you want :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest