Guills on wheels
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Okay, I'm sort of posting this in desperation because I know only two other people (both in my Mandarin class) who are applying for Chinese Studies, and suddenly this seems like the most obscure degree possible to do short of applying for Dance at London Met (it exists).

So. Chinese Studies or Chinese language applicants out there, show yourselves and discuss what you've all been up to.

(sorry if this is in the wrong place, btw)
ocpaul20
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you really, really want to study Chinese then you should go to a chinese university to do it and immerse yourself in the whole thing. The educational system is totally different and for me, I couldn't hack it and left after a short while. I was a (very) mature student and the pressure is intense. There were people in their 20's who stuck at it and did well. It IS the best way to learn mandarin, and it will be useful because so many others just comfortably learn it in their own country. The whole experience challenges you and gives you more confidence at being able to survive on your own in a foreign country which is invaluable for your self esteem. It was quite a few years since I did this so I may be totally out of date now but I cannot see things changing that quickly in the Chinese educational system. Good luck. If it is any consolation, I think learning English is more difficult than Chinese unless you live in an English speaking country.
Guills on wheels
Rep:
?
(Original post by ocpaul20)
If you really, really want to study Chinese then you should go to a chinese university to do it and immerse yourself in the whole thing. The educational system is totally different and for me, I couldn't hack it and left after a short while. I was a (very) mature student and the pressure is intense. There were people in their 20's who stuck at it and did well. It IS the best way to learn mandarin, and it will be useful because so many others just comfortably learn it in their own country. The whole experience challenges you and gives you more confidence at being able to survive on your own in a foreign country which is invaluable for your self esteem. It was quite a few years since I did this so I may be totally out of date now but I cannot see things changing that quickly in the Chinese educational system. Good luck. If it is any consolation, I think learning English is more difficult than Chinese unless you live in an English speaking country.
Fair enough.

I'm desperate to stay in the UK though, I have a girlfriend here who I couldn't leave behind and I'm in the 7th year of learning Chinese, so my ability is okay.

I understand the lure of Chinese Universities though, but the entire Chinese educational system, from the early ages right up to the Gaokao is insanely pressurising. I think there's more than a few decent unis (especially SOAS, where I want to go) that provide a decent education. SOAS is basically dedicated to it.

I've been to China a few times before, and each time my mandarin has improved considerably. The last time, which was just a couple of weeks ago, I was just starting to be able to get by on my own, helping the pool attendants speak english or just working our way around.

Did you complete a degree in Chinese/Studies?
Squaresquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Guills on wheels)
Fair enough.

I'm desperate to stay in the UK though, I have a girlfriend here who I couldn't leave behind and I'm in the 7th year of learning Chinese, so my ability is okay.

I understand the lure of Chinese Universities though, but the entire Chinese educational system, from the early ages right up to the Gaokao is insanely pressurising. I think there's more than a few decent unis (especially SOAS, where I want to go) that provide a decent education. SOAS is basically dedicated to it.

I've been to China a few times before, and each time my mandarin has improved considerably. The last time, which was just a couple of weeks ago, I was just starting to be able to get by on my own, helping the pool attendants speak english or just working our way around.

I study Japanese at SOAS (did a year of Chinese at Leeds though) and have friends who study Chinese here and just want to say that it's an awesome place are you applying for 2015 entry??
SophieASR
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm looking to do chinese studies next year. I've applied to a few places after looking at what they offer and comparing as some unis do the year abroad earlier on in the course. I'm mainly looking to go to the uni of manchester or hull as a back up. I've been learning it for 7ish years aswell now so I can't wait to do it at uni, I didn't think it would be that popular! Is anyone looking at chinese studies at Manchester uni?
Guills on wheels
Rep:
?
(Original post by Squaresquirrel)
I study Japanese at SOAS (did a year of Chinese at Leeds though) and have friends who study Chinese here and just want to say that it's an awesome place are you applying for 2015 entry??
yup. I heard that they have hammocks around exam time to relax in… is that true?

(Original post by SophieASR)
I'm looking to do chinese studies next year. I've applied to a few places after looking at what they offer and comparing as some unis do the year abroad earlier on in the course. I'm mainly looking to go to the uni of manchester or hull as a back up. I've been learning it for 7ish years aswell now so I can't wait to do it at uni, I didn't think it would be that popular! Is anyone looking at chinese studies at Manchester uni?
I don't really think it is; it's quite a niche subject :')

I didn't know Manchester did it… Where else are you applying?
SophieASR
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yup. I heard that they have hammocks around exam time to relax in… is that true?

I don't really think it is; it's quite a niche subject :')

I didn't know Manchester did it… Where else are you applying?
Yeah manchester look really good, I've also applied to hull, Leeds, Durham and birmingham but manchester and hull are the ones I'm mainly looking to go and already got conditional offers! Are you looking to do chinese studies too then?
Squaresquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ye I think so - I've never checked but I have reliable sources who say they exist :P
Guills on wheels
Rep:
?
(Original post by SophieASR)
Yeah manchester look really good, I've also applied to hull, Leeds, Durham and birmingham but manchester and hull are the ones I'm mainly looking to go and already got conditional offers! Are you looking to do chinese studies too then?
yup.

SOAS
Nottingham
Leeds
Sheffield
Durham

in that order
ocpaul20
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, as I said, I couldn't hack it and did not continue with the course. I went to Beijing to live with someone who I eventually married. Going abroad to study Chinese does not suit everyone. It is pretty scary but since my life was falling apart at the time I thought I had nothing to lose. Good luck.
lellidesu
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi~ I'm 2015-16 entry and I'm applying for Chinese modern and classical with Tibetan at SOAS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Squaresquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lellidesu)
Hi~ I'm 2015-16 entry and I'm applying for Chinese modern and classical with Tibetan at SOAS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh that's awesome! I'm hoping to be allowed to take the Tibetan class next year (my 2nd) So we might be in the same class
lellidesu
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That would be super cool haha... I don't actually know that much about Tibet but I really want to study it

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (80)
61.54%
No (50)
38.46%

Watched Threads