Edexcel Unit 2: Physics at Work ~ 12 January 2015 or June peeps!

Watch
greenmile123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi Guys! I'm self studying the whole of AS+A2 for the Jan exams! Would be great if we all can discuss any questions about the syllabus because I've got plenty!!

Oh and to any of the kind people who have sat the exam and done well, please share your notes!!!! I'm sure we will all be very appreciative of it
aersh8
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi! I've done Edexcel AS Physics last year and got 100% in all papers.

Unfortunately my notes are hand-written on A5 pieces of paper so I can't send them.

But I'll be glad to help if you have any questions!
greenmile123
Rep:
?
(Original post by aersh8)

Unfortunately my notes are hand-written on A5 pieces of paper so I can't send them.

Wow that's amazing!!! How did you do that!? Mind sharing your revision style!? /Any tips!

Would it be possible for you to scan them!? If you can that would be AMAZING!!
aersh8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by greenmile123)
Wow that's amazing!!! How did you do that!? Mind sharing your revision style!? /Any tips!

Would it be possible for you to scan them!? If you can that would be AMAZING!!
Basically download a copy of the specification and write bullet point notes on each point of the spec. This way you'll have precisely what you need to learn all in one place since most textbooks/teachers notes contain a lot of irrelevant information and may miss out on something useful. It also helps you think about the material and understand it and so learn it.

It is also a good idea to learn the formulae even though some of them are given because this way you will be able to apply them faster and more intuitively. There aren't many of them and they usually make sense (always check for consistency with units - don't leave them out during calculations in order to avoid stupid mistakes eg forgetting to convert minutes to seconds). Also if at the end the unit you are left with is not what you expected you'll know you have done something wrong.

Do practice throughout the year. Honestly I didn't do much of that but it is helpful. Don't just do the recent past papers. There are compilations of old past paper questions by topic (adjusted to the new syllabus) and they can be more useful since you can focus on the the topics that you are worse at and they usually test more specific knowledge. Don't fret over the recent past papers - they don't have much memory recollection and the questions are designed to test your understanding. Sometimes they get really weird so the grade boundaries tend to be low. Thus don't be distressed if you can't do a question!

Most importantly don't try to memorise everything - once you understand it you'll not need to revise much. I personally didn't do anything for unit 1 before the exams other than learning the materials definitions. Unit 2 has more learning but if you just focus precisely on what is in the spec it turns out to be less in other subjects too. Also make sure you know the practicals for units 1 and 2 - they can ask for quite long descriptions. Again, just learn those mentioned in the spec.

An exam technique note - write in bullet points! This is simpler for you, simpler for the examiner and ensures that you mention everything you want and don't go round in circles. If you don't know the answer to a question just write anything remotely relevant to the topic - you'll probably be able to score some marks.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
greenmile123
Rep:
?
Basically download a copy of the specification and write bullet point notes on each point of the spec. This way you'll have precisely what you need to learn all in one place since most textbooks/teachers notes contain a lot of irrelevant information and may miss out on something useful. It also helps you think about the material and understand it and so learn it.

It is also a good idea to learn the formulae even though some of them are given because this way you will be able to apply them faster and more intuitively. There aren't many of them and they usually make sense (always check for consistency with units - don't leave them out during calculations in order to avoid stupid mistakes eg forgetting to convert minutes to seconds). Also if at the end the unit you are left with is not what you expected you'll know you have done something wrong.

Do practice throughout the year. Honestly I didn't do much of that but it is helpful. Don't just do the recent past papers. There are compilations of old past paper questions by topic (adjusted to the new syllabus) and they can be more useful since you can focus on the the topics that you are worse at and they usually test more specific knowledge. Don't fret over the recent past papers - they don't have much memory recollection and the questions are designed to test your understanding. Sometimes they get really weird so the grade boundaries tend to be low. Thus don't be distressed if you can't do a question!

Most importantly don't try to memorise everything - once you understand it you'll not need to revise much. I personally didn't do anything for unit 1 before the exams other than learning the materials definitions. Unit 2 has more learning but if you just focus precisely on what is in the spec it turns out to be less in other subjects too. Also make sure you know the practicals for units 1 and 2 - they can ask for quite long descriptions. Again, just learn those mentioned in the spec.

An exam technique note - write in bullet points! This is simpler for you, simpler for the examiner and ensures that you mention everything you want and don't go round in circles. If you don't know the answer to a question just write anything remotely relevant to the topic - you'll probably be able to score some marks.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the tips!!! Really helpful esp the bullet points!! I find that the more I write, the more confusing it gets.

But what should I do NOW! I only have a little bit over a month of revision till Jan exams!!!!! :eek:
aersh8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by greenmile123)
Thanks for the tips!!! Really helpful esp the bullet points!! I find that the more I write, the more confusing it gets.

But what should I do NOW! I only have a little bit over a month of revision till Jan exams!!!!! :eek:
No problem!

What material have you covered so far / are planning to have covered?

Posted from TSR Mobile
jehinrohit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have doubt in question no13 of Edexcel Jan 2015 IAL UNIT1
. please help me out me with this.
This question is regarding a magnet.
jehinrohit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
do u have a solved paper, as the ms only gives one word answer but i m not getting how to write an appropriate answer. please help.
kritz20
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
can someone explain the 11th question in edexcel physics January 2015 unit 2 paper?
kritz20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Hi! can u please explain the 11th question in edexcel physics January 2015 unit 2 paper
kritz20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can someone explain the 14th question part (a) inedexcel physics January 2015 unit 2?
kritz20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can someone explain the 13th question part (b) inedexcel physics January 2015 unit 2?
kritz20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can someone explain the 15th question part (b) inedexcel physics January 2015 unit 2?
aersh8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kritz20)
Hi! can u please explain the 11th question in edexcel physics January 2015 unit 2 paper
Could you please send a link to the paper? Although it's been a year since I last did physics :P
Tahira taweel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No problem..just give the screenshots.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads