The Student Room Group

Poland still technically at war

Sorry to bother you all but my parents always seem to be arguing about the war.
My mum says that Gremany is still at war with Poland and that no treaty was signed. England was also perfectly happy to sell Poland to Russia and that Germany was supposed to never be allowed an army again.
My dad says that hedoesn't know.
Yesterday they spent two hours arguing about it.
I was even asked to be Roosevelt.
Does anyone know of any proof?
I really would like to know.
I've looked in all my history books and... nothing.
Please?

Scroll to see replies

Germany and Poland aren't at war. I don't think either country has a state of war declared on the other. Would they admit a nation to the eu which is at war with a current eu member!?
Reply 2
piggysqueak
I was even asked to be Roosevelt.

LOL, that's a bit extreme .
Reply 3
I know that but I can't find any record anywhere of a treaty or anything like that.
Reply 4
piggysqueak
I know that but I can't find any record anywhere of a treaty or anything like that.

Is it Israel and Iraq who are technically at war too or something?
Reply 5
i think you were right about germany not allow to have an army, i think they forbid germany and japan (and maybe italy) to have an army after the world wars. but obviously times had changed,
Reply 6
What a silly thing. If there's no treaty, they're not at war? Who came up with that law? I think war is better defined by attacking and invading another country, so therefore by logic, NO, Poland and Germany aren't at war.
Reply 7
mik1a
What a silly thing. If there's no treaty, they're not at war? Who came up with that law? I think war is better defined by attacking and invading another country, so therefore by logic, NO, Poland and Germany aren't at war.

i'd agree with this. if they are its certainly news to me! :eek:
Reply 8
The UK is still tecnically at war with Argentina, is it not?
Reply 9
mik1a

i agree with you there as i don't think you need a treaty to say that you're not at war with someone. but the world is full of these kinda thing, technically north and south korea are still at war.

taiwan still thinks mongolia is part of china.
Reply 10
shiny
Is it Israel and Iraq who are technically at war too or something?

Apparently North and South Korea are still at war as well.
Reply 11
Norway is probably still at war with the rest of Europe from the Viking raids if you count "war" as having not signed a treaty.
Fly By
i agree with you there as i don't think you need a treaty to say that you're not at war with someone. but the world is full of these kinda thing, technically north and south korea are still at war.

taiwan still thinks mongolia is part of china.

my mums from taiwan. Taiwan still thinks it is China, hence its official name "The Republic of China". The official name of China is "The Peoples Republic of China".
Reply 13
mik1a
Norway is probably still at war with the rest of Europe from the Viking raids if you count "war" as having not signed a treaty.

lol, i think piggy gets the idea.
Reply 14
iiikewldude
my mums from taiwan. Taiwan still thinks it is China, hence its official name "The Republic of China". The official name of China is "The Peoples Republic of China".

yeah i know, technically there are two chinas. and taiwan is still techincally waiting for the right moment to attack and regain the whole of china (but obviously they're not)

but what i am sayin is that even though big china has granted mongolia independence little china (taiwan) hasn't, thats why they still consider it part of china.

:smile: confusing?
Reply 15
Fly By
yeah i know, technically there are two chinas. and taiwan is still techincally waiting for the right moment to attack and regain the whole of china (but obviously they're not)

but what i am sayin is that even though big china has granted mongolia independence little china (taiwan) hasn't, thats why they still consider it part of china.

:smile: confusing?

Yes! :tongue:
Reply 16
Berwick upon tweed is still officially at war with Germany. it's part of northumberland but often considers itself part of scotland, so when the ww2 was declared it refused to be classed as part of england, it isn't officially part of scotland so it was put on it's own.

lou xxx
I think up until recently Australia was still officially at war with Germany by act of parliament (or something) that they forgot to repeal.

They had a big ceremony a year or two ago, declaring peace.
Reply 18
apparently Britain is still at war with the state of texas. after american civil war texas was only state not to sign the treaty
Lee86
apparently Britain is still at war with the state of texas. after american civil war texas was only state not to sign the treaty

Sorry, maybe I'm being thick here, but did Britain play any part at all in the US Civil War? I thought Palmerston toyed with the idea of intervening on the South's side, but decided against...

Latest

Trending

Trending