sp77
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm in Year 9 and we are starting to decide which subjects we want to take for GCSE.

These are all compulsory:
English Language
English Literature
Mathematics
Numeracy (new GCSE)

I want to take triple science as I enjoy all sciences and get high levels for them.

I am thinking of taking:
ICT
Geography
French or Spanish
History
Business Studies

What are your thoughts on these?? Thanks for any help!
LauraJ12
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Georgraphy, History and Business studies are amazing. ICT is ok and useful for anything. French is really hard at GCSE so I think Spanish will be to. Loads of people picked triple science in my year and aren't now because their is no time left
thepurplerain
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do both Geography and History and thoroughly enjoy them. I also do French and surprisingly, I have found my French GCSE lessons enjoyable too, however I believe this is quite significantly down to the teacher that you have and the effort that you put in. I do think all three of these subjects are challenging, but if you work hard and take on board your teachers' advice, you will do well. I also considered doing ICT as I liked it in years 7-9, but ended up not choosing it as I run out of options I am glad I didn't choose it though, as my friends who currently take the subject are constantly having to stay in lunch hours and after school to keep up with the work as the coursework element appears to be quite demanding. Yet again, though, if you aim to get all your tasks done efficiently, I think you will do fine. I do not take Business but my friends who do take it seem to be doing fine in the subject, and I was told that their mock exam that they took at the end of Year 10 was not too difficult as I believe some of the questions were multiple choice. I also do double science as oppose to triple, however this is just due to my lack of interest across the sciences, so if you enjoy them and do well, you have nothing to worry about!

I hope that gave you some insight as an overview of the subjects you're considering and have fun choosing them! As a final comment, try to choose subjects you both take an interest in and do well in as you will find yourself enjoying your two GCSE years more
londoncricket
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Despite ICT being possibly hard, it will be useful and good looking on CV.

French is hard. All there is to know about it really.

History is also hard, but if you enjoy it, you don't notice the hard work.

Business Studies is quite easy. Easy A. Go for it.

HTH
jaquele
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
please don't chose business, its so useless. I droped business after 4 weeks. It is boring and the content is just stupid.
peaaceandl0ve
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sp77)
I'm in Year 9 and we are starting to decide which subjects we want to take for GCSE.

English Language
English Literature
Mathematics
Numeracy (new GCSE)

I want to take triple science as I enjoy all sciences and get high levels for them.

I am thinking of taking:
ICT
Geography
French or Spanish
History
Business Studies

I did IT, Geography, History, German (the specs for all language GCSEs are the same) and Double Science - if you have any specific questions about these subjects then please feel free to ask
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sp77)

English Language
English Literature
Mathematics
Numeracy (new GCSE)

I am thinking of taking:
ICT
Geography
French or Spanish
History
Business Studies

Those sound pretty good.
You have a mixture of everything there.
I did french, business studies and geography and really enjoyed them.
jargonglossary
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I.T. and Business Studies are really rather easy, and are generally viewed as soft subjects, however depending on what you want to do once you've finished school, they may come in useful to you, so don't be put off by that if it's what you're interested in. I got really, really bored in Business when I took it, and ended up swapping it, that said, it was ridiculously easy.

Geography is definitely the easier humanity, but it still looks very good and is a good qualification to have, that said, History is usually a lot more interesting, but definitely harder. History is a heavy essay subject, so if you're not strong on essays, perhaps don't take it.

Any language is really good to have taken, however the leap from KS3 MFL to GCSE is a big one, and if you were
achieving A's and A*'s before, be prepared to put in a lot more work to maintain these grades. If you're not getting at least C's or B's now in either language, don't bother. Honestly, I've seen so many people drop out of the course in Year 11 because they weren't getting brilliant grades at KS3 and ended up with straight D's at GCSE. I would definitely say that Spanish is the easier option out of the two, but it all comes down to personal preference.
Mr...
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sp77)

English Language
English Literature
Mathematics
Numeracy (new GCSE)

I am thinking of taking:
ICT
Geography
French or Spanish
History
Business Studies

It looks good but does your school have a computing option instead if ICT? :holmes:

Do you study both French and Spanish and could you carry both on next year?
kyraaalm
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did ICT and Business Studies. With ICT, as long as you do the course work its really easy. And with business studies, its all just common sense. It was really easy to get A* in both

Posted from TSR Mobile
sp77
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Mr...)
It looks good but does your school have a computing option instead if ICT? :holmes:

Do you study both French and Spanish and could you carry both on next year?
No, ICT is the only computing subject available.

I am only doing French but would like to start Spanish next year!
kmac17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would personally recommend a language. I took french at GCSE and loved it, but besides that languages are quite highly regarded. but most importantly just go with 1) what you like the most and 2) what you think will benefit you most in the future x
Mr...
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sp77)
No, ICT is the only computing subject available.

I am only doing French but would like to start Spanish next year!
Oh okay!
I'd definitely do French for sure as I love it but if you don't know the subject then it could be terribly difficult to achieve the grades you want :fyi:
sp77
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks for all your help guys!

Our school have been forced to change it to only five options now (including the sciences)

I ended up choosing ICT, French, History and Double Science as you can still study a science at A-level after studying double science.
Karan M
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sp77)

English Language
English Literature
Mathematics
Numeracy (new GCSE)

I am thinking of taking:
ICT
Geography
French or Spanish
History
Business Studies

Well if you are good at science then I say that u should take triple because it is quite highly regarded, as for the other options history is fun and business can be very useful in the future. It all really depends on how many options you are allowed to have. In my school we had the same thing and 3 free choices. Btw Spanish and French car good to put in things like your personal statement.
Hope this was useful. 👌
ozmo19
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sp77)

English Language
English Literature
Mathematics
Numeracy (new GCSE)

I am thinking of taking:
ICT
Geography
French or Spanish
History
Business Studies

I do both ICT and Geography out of those options you are considering and I find geography much more enjoyable and far more interesting! It is definitely a worthwhile subject and is highly regarded as it is academic! I chose Irish as my language and you should definitely considering one of those. It can definitely open up some other options and can can look impressive in personal statements etc. History would be your next best bet - very academic and highly looked upon. With your other subjects, compulsory as well as triple science, I think it is important to chose a strong set of subjects but don't forget to think about what you want to do in the future and take subjects relevant to that, for example, you may take ict if you would like to work in the computing industry.
Take subjects you enjoy and remember, quality over quantity
n__
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sp77)

English Language
English Literature
Mathematics
Numeracy (new GCSE)

I am thinking of taking:
ICT
Geography
French or Spanish
History
Business Studies

Those sound like really good choices - there's quite a variety of subjects there! I don't know if you know about the English Baccalaureate? It's just a qualification of GCSE that kind of makes you a more varied student which can be a bonus for employers. You achieve the qualification if you take triple science, maths, english literature&language, a humanity (geography or history a language and two other subjects of your choice). So I'd really recommend taking triple science, a language and a humanity I personally would definitely recommend History but it all depends on what you prefer to learn about! And triple science isn't too hard for GCSEs - it seems like a pain but if you actually do a good amount of revision it's not too bad. (I ended up being able to self-learn a majority of the topics!). But yeah you should deffo look into the English Baccalaureate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ladybec
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We couldn't do business at GCSE, but I do it at AS level and it's great! It's really useful and you can learn a lot about how businesses work, which is pretty interesting.
jobra09
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pick the ones you enjoy doing. Also, is science not compulsory in your school?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (168)
58.54%
I don't have everything I need (119)
41.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed