point me in the right direction :) Watch

Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Im 25 yrs old married with 2 young children (6wks& 19months)

Im a qualified dental Nurse but I feel I want a career change. I have a strong interest in Midwifery and would love to pursue this as my career.
Looking at Bangor Uni

Would i be entitled to student loans/grants/bursery or anything? (Income is less than £25,000)
Any childcare facilitys or help towards Nursery?

Feel free to comment if your a student midwife and give me an insight and how you find it?

Help guys xx
Badges: 10
Report 4 years ago
Whether you qualify for student finance depends on:

  • your university or college
  • your course
  • if you’ve studied a higher education course before
  • your age
  • your nationality or residency status

Your university or college

This should be a university, college or other institution that offers a qualifying course.

Your course

This must be in the UK and one of the following:

  • a first degree, eg BA, BSc or BEd
  • a Foundation Degree
  • a Certificate of Higher Education
  • a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • a Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • a Higher National Diploma (HND)
  • a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
  • Initial Teacher Training

Check with your university or college that your course is recognised.

Part-time students

Part-time students need to study their courses at a rate of at least 25% of an equivalent full-time course in each academic year.
This is known as ‘course intensity’. You can check course intensity with your university or college.

You’ve studied before

Generally, you’ll only get student finance if you’re doing your first higher education qualification. This is true even if your previous course was self-funded.
However, you may still get limited funding if, for example:

  • you change course
  • you leave your course but decide to start again
  • you’re ‘topping up’ a higher education qualification, eg you’ve finished an HNC, HND or Foundation Degree and now want to do an honours degree

Your age

There’s no upper age limit for tuition fee loans or grants. To apply for a Maintenance Loan you have to be under 60 at the start of the course.

Your nationality or residency status

You can apply if:

  • you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
  • you normally live in England
  • you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course

Non-UK nationals must have settled status on the first day of the first academic year of the course - which could be 1 September, 1 January, 1 April or 1 July.

You may also be eligible if your residency status is one of the following:

  • EU national, or family member of an EU national
  • refugee
  • humanitarian protection
  • EEA migrant worker
  • child of a Swiss national
  • child of a Turkish worker

(source: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies)
Badges: 17
Report 4 years ago
Midwifery courses will attract NHS funding, so it will be a combination of SF and NHS money.

You can get an estimate if your entitlement by feeding your details into this online calculator:
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Wow thank you so much for your help and guidance xx

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
new posts
to top
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.


University open days

  • University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
No (93)

Watched Threads

View All