solarkarina
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I'm applying to sixth forms and I was thinking of picking French, however, I'm not sure so I want some advice? I know it's hard as many people say all A levels are hard however I want to know what it's like and examples of what you learn. I only know French at gcse level so I can't have a random conversation about whatever and therefore I'm scared I'm gonna get there and everyone will be so much smarter than me! I'm just worried I wont be able to cope and I wanted some advice from someone who's done/going through french a level!
Toriar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd say only pick French if you actually enjoy it, because it will take up a lot of your time. It is a lot of fun though. Don't worry about not being as good as everyone else, the first couple of months are usually spent revisiting GCSE stuff to make sure everyone is up to speed. Take me for an example, I could barely even conjugate verbs into the present tense at the beginning of AS (I know, I was really bad) but now I'm doing French at A2. You certainly won't be expected to be able to have a proper conversation already, they'll make sure you do a lot of speaking practice. What you learn kinda depends on the exam board but I did AQA and it was basically split into different topics like relationships, technology, films, fashion, etc. and I found it really interesting. At A2 you have to do more of these topics and also study a book and a film, which I'm not particularly enjoying, but if you like English Literature you'll probably enjoy that.
username1507915
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing AS French and I love it so much! If you enjoy it then I'd say go for it, because if you are motivated for learning the language then the work won't seem a chore. So far we've just been revising grammar from GCSE and recapping basics which has been really helpful. I was also worried that everyone would be smarter than me but everyone seems to be on the same level and in sixth form/college the language classes tend to be smaller so you get more speaking practice and interaction which helps your learning a lot.
Yasmin-9970
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing AS french as well and im really enjoying it, we have really good teachers...but only choose it if you like the subject because its not like GCSE where you can get away with not knowing anything, you MUST learn the grammar and vocab they teach you because you are tested on every aspect of the language - writing/oral/understanding....you learn ALOT which is awesome , like ive gotten more interested in the music (stromae ) and yotubers (Like Cyprien) , overall if you do like it go for it, but no A level is easy
rumana101
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lunaray)
I'm doing AS French and I love it so much! If you enjoy it then I'd say go for it, because if you are motivated for learning the language then the work won't seem a chore. So far we've just been revising grammar from GCSE and recapping basics which has been really helpful. I was also worried that everyone would be smarter than me but everyone seems to be on the same level and in sixth form/college the language classes tend to be smaller so you get more speaking practice and interaction which helps your learning a lot.
is it possible you could help me translate a few sentences I'm struggling on
username1507915
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rumana101)
is it possible you could help me translate a few sentences I'm struggling on
I'll give it a go:3
rumana101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lunaray)
I'll give it a go:3
im stuck on how to say in french any help would me much appreciated

1. he is more healthier than me
2. I have to do lots of exercise to boost my metabolism
3. I didt choose the burger, as i had already had it
Yasmin-9970
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
il est plus sain que moi
je dois faire beaucoup de l'excercise pour (infitive of boost) mon metabolisme
Yasmin-9970
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
d'excercise*
rumana101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Yasmin-9970)
d'excercise*
thanks so much!!! do you know what that is I'm so stuck and the last one
rumana101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
il est plus sain que moi
what is the infinitive of boost?
Yasmin-9970
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
stimuler i think?
Yasmin-9970
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
do you want to say that burger or the burger?
rumana101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
il est plus sain que moi
also , isn't 'i have to do' il faut que je fasse
rumana101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
do you want to say that burger or the burger?
the burger
username1138850
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by solarkarina)
So I'm applying to sixth forms and I was thinking of picking French, however, I'm not sure so I want some advice? I know it's hard as many people say all A levels are hard however I want to know what it's like and examples of what you learn. I only know French at gcse level so I can't have a random conversation about whatever and therefore I'm scared I'm gonna get there and everyone will be so much smarter than me! I'm just worried I wont be able to cope and I wanted some advice from someone who's done/going through french a level!
Don't do it.
I did maths, further maths, physics, chemistry. Some guy who's way smarter than me did maths, further maths, physics, french.
I got AAAA. He got AAAB. (B in french...)
Only one person in his class got an A, and they had two french people!
Only do it if you're actually planning on living in france, or french is relevant to your degree.
Yasmin-9970
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
thats 'should' the one i used is 'must' as in to have to comes from the verb devoir (that why homework in french is les devoirs becuase you have to do it)
Yasmin-9970
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by edd1234)
Don't do it.
I did maths, further maths, physics, chemistry. Some guy who's way smarter than me did maths, further maths, physics, french.
I got AAAA. He got AAAB. (B in french...)
Only one person in his class got an A, and they had two french people!
Only do it if you're actually planning on living in france, or french is relevant to your degree.
i disagree with you, UCL says that french is a preffered subject for all their degrees and you have to get at least a C at GCSE to even go to UCL so they think its important, yes its hard and i know a girl doing A2 and the only A she got last year was in french (shes asian btw)
rumana101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
thats 'should' the one i used is 'must' as in to have to comes from the verb devoir (that why homework in french is les devoirs becuase you have to do it)
what is the last one again then aha x?
rumana101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
French will be the death of me ): can't even cope with gcse never mind a level
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (25)
22.32%
Unhappy (34)
30.36%
Conflicted (53)
47.32%

Watched Threads