Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do dates, such as 1981-1990 in the report count as words? If so, do they count as one word or two?

What is the maximum word count before marks are deducted?

Do explanations beside diagrams have to be included in the word count (i.e figure 1. shows a particle accelerator created by X)?

Are brief explanations of equations included in the word count (such as; 'equation for the creation of Plutonium'?

Do referencing numbers (where you superscript) get included in the word count? (since the 'word count' in word is including some of them, but not others :confused: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Do dates, such as 1981-1990 in the report count as words? If so, do they count as one word or two?

What is the maximum word count before marks are deducted?

Do explanations beside diagrams have to be included in the word count (i.e figure 1. shows a particle accelerator created by X)?

Are brief explanations of equations included in the word count (such as; 'equation for the creation of Plutonium'?

Do referencing numbers (where you superscript) get included in the word count? (since the 'word count' in word is including some of them, but not others :confused: )
    No I don't think these count. Annotations for diagrams, although important I don't think are counted unless they're quite long. Numbers/formlae are not included nor are your references. I'm not sure about the explanations of formulae but I don't think they'd count...depends how long an explanation it is! Using Word you can highlight individual bits & word count those then add up the bits yourself (master of reducing word count here! ). I think the general rule is up to 10% either way, but it's far safer to be around the exact limit!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Katie J

I'm on 999 words if I dont include any of the other bits I mentioned. My annotaions on my diagrams are at a maximum 17 words. The descriptions of my equations are four words long. However all those extras amount to 60 words... I think I'll just have to assume they're not included, because I've cut the report down as much as I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Thanks Katie J

I'm on 999 words if I dont include any of the other bits I mentioned. My annotaions on my diagrams are at a maximum 17 words. The descriptions of my equations are four words long. However all those extras amount to 60 words... I think I'll just have to assume they're not included, because I've cut the report down as much as I can.
    Sounds pretty good to me!
    Mine was something very near that last year, 972 I think! Be careful though, saying 999/1000 is only too tempting for them to check!
    Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the luck!

I'm on 1000 words now, I'm really hoping for the image explanations aren't included... and thinking about it, they're not really in the main body of text.

Although I'm not sure for the equation explanations... I have the feeling I'm gonna ask tomorrow, get the answer I don't want to hear, and end up messing up my cover sheet :rolleyes:

...I really can't imagine someone going through and counting the words in the report. Really. And even if they do, it's hard to believe they'd knock of marks. It's fun being in denial.....

ReputationRep:
    If they really are just explanations to equations separate from the text I really don't think they'd count!
    Nah they won't check...I was joking...if I was an examiner and someone said they'd written 999 words out of max. 1000...I'd be so (meanly) tempted to check! I wouldn't take marks off though I'd just be 'hah, can't fool me!' I guess I'm just mean though! lol I'm nice really!

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.