What are the best A levels for medicine?

Watch
ruthie_nuggetty
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've recently been considering what A levels to take, and I am interested in doing medicine at uni. If not, I am interested in speech and language therapy too. I was thinking of doing biology, chemistry, french and German, would I be at a disadvantage for not doing maths?
rumana101
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ruthie_nuggetty)
I've recently been considering what A levels to take, and I am interested in doing medicine at uni. If not, I am interested in speech and language therapy too. I was thinking of doing biology, chemistry, french and German, would I be at a disadvantage for not doing maths?
maths chemistry biology physics and pscychology some uni's like english too, not really but it would be beneficial to have maths
indigobluesss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No you will not be in any sort of disadvantage (regarding admission)

Maths A-levels will help you in your medicine modules (like physiology and biochemistry which are very maths dependent), it'll also help with any postgraduate work you do (if you decide to take statistics)

And it'll also help with your A2 chem work.

But it won't help you with admissions so you'll be fine
ruthie_nuggetty
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by rumana101)
maths chemistry biology physics and pscychology some uni's like english too, not really but it would be beneficial to have maths
Thank you, do you study medicine, if so what did you take?
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think Cambridge is the only medical school that prefers applicants to have 3 science/maths A levels (with some of the constituent colleges requiring this). For every other university, as long as you do Biology and Chemistry A2 you should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
izpenguin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Biology and chemistry are the important ones. Apart from that, it doesn't really matter. Maths will NOT give you an advantage at any medical school apart from Cambridge.
Celloberry
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Most if not all uni's want three sciences to A2 for Medicine (maths counts as a science, but FM doesn't...). I've never heard of one that doesn't want 3 but don't take my word for it. You should check the subject requirements on university websites
Magnesium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would say Maths, Biology, Chemistry at the least. Some universities will prefer you have to have more sciences but chemistry is the only one necessary. I would say drop German for Maths and stick with French if you enjoy languages, as many universities respect it as a good A Level including Oxford
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.27%
Take autumn exams (120)
31.5%
Look for a job (12)
3.15%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.46%
Take a year out (67)
17.59%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
6.04%

Watched Threads