I believe a lot of shy people aren't actually shy.

Watch
username927016
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Usually they find it uncomfortable to be around people they don't know, as they don't know what their personalities are like & fear negative judgement, embarrassing themselves etc. They just need the right people around them to bring them out of their shell, probably not the loud, judgemental people, but a decent person who takes notice of them & is interested in what they have to say. What do you think?
username1467365
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Multitalented me)
Usually they find it uncomfortable to be around people they don't know, as they don't know what their personalities is like & fear negative judgement, embarrassing themselves etc. They just need the right people around them to bring them out of their shell, probably not the loud, judgemental people, but decent person who takes notice of them & is interested in what they have to say. What do you think?
100% agree this is me.
Eva.Gregoria
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree. Some people do have a genuine social anxiety though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TomWeller
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think you are right... I am personally very shy around people I don't know, and I'm a pretty big introvert (never say much in groups, tend not to share my feelings with anyone)
But if I do find someone who isn't judgmental (which is rare haha) then I would tend to speak more.

Not sure if that means I'm not shy or not though?
-Rainbow Drops-
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Usually they find it uncomfortable to be around people they don't know, as they don't know what their personalities is like & fear negative judgement, embarrassing themselves etc. They just need the right people around them to bring them out of their shell, probably not the loud, judgemental people, but decent person who takes notice of them & is interested in what they have to say. What do you think?
Finally! Someone who understands!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Green22
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think some of your aspects are true
username1467365
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do very much agree with this because I'm like it myself. Once I get to know someone, I'm fine.
ailsajane
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think that's very true. Also, sometimes I know I can come across as shy with some people because I can't think of anything to say to them, because I don't know them that well, or I don't have much in common with them, but if we actually had something to talk about I wouldn't have any trouble talking to them. Or sometimes if you're just not in a very talkative mood you can come across as shy if you're around people who don't know you very well but you wouldn't around people you're close to.
blue n white army
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I come across as shy but i think i'm just bad at starting a conversation around new people. I'm ok if someone else starts the conversation and I can jump in or in a group where the conversation is flowing and I can jump in but actually starting a conversation is hard for me, I jjust can't think of a topic or starting point.
username1467365
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ailsajane)
I think that's very true. Also, sometimes I know I can come across as shy with some people because I can't think of anything to say to them, because I don't know them that well, or I don't have much in common with them, but if we actually had something to talk about I wouldn't have any trouble talking to them. Or sometimes if you're just not in a very talkative mood you can come across as shy if you're around people who don't know you very well but you wouldn't around people you're close to.
I agree with this too. I sometimes wonder if I give off the wrong vibes because I'm one of the more quiet, shy people.
DanB1991
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Think most people are "more" shy around people they do not know.

It's more how said person would actually react to someone talking to them they didn't really know. A shy person will still talk to people around them they know, just some people will be more introverted than others.

Like around people I don't know well I'm really quiet. As soon as I know someone or get a bit of drink in me I'm one of the most extroverted people in my group of friends apparently :/
Dalek1099
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes I am a chatterbox around people I know but around people I don't know I only really answer when questioned because I struggle to know what to say as I don't know these people.
NHM713
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Shy people are the biggest freaks. Fact. :crazy:
username1467365
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by NHM713)
Shy people are the biggest freaks. Fact. :crazy:
How nice...
NHM713
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ChrisLay1)
How nice...
In a good way.
username1467365
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In a good way.
Well I just thought it was quite mean to say "shy people are the biggest freaks".
inachigeek21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Agree completely. Describes me really
SarcasticMel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Isn't that what shy means?
NHM713
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ChrisLay1)
Well I just thought it was quite mean to say "shy people are the biggest freaks".
In the sense that once a shy person lets down their guard, they show you another side to their personality, which can be so fun especially as it is amplified by the fact that they are introverted.
username1467365
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In the sense that once a shy person lets down their guard, they show you another side to their personality, which can be so fun especially as it is amplified by the fact that they are introverted.
Yes I agree but why are they freaks?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (47)
16.04%
I'm not sure (8)
2.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (100)
34.13%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.37%
I'm not a current university student (134)
45.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed