Turn on thread page Beta

Finding one of the AS level really easy.. help watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I have started my AS levels this september and I picked ICT as one of my options along with Chemistry, Biology and Geography. At the moment, we have done loads of assessment for ICT and I am getting nearly/full marks in all of them. Its actually boring me to death too because it is really easy. I know it's not going to get harder.

I don't know whether its possible to pick another challenging subject.

ReputationRep:
    I'd pick up maths considering C1 is essentially harder GCSE maths so you won't struggle to catch up too much if you achieved an A* without too much revision at GCSE (which isn't rare on TSR I think)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    I'd pick up maths considering C1 is essentially harder GCSE maths so you won't struggle to catch up too much if you achieved an A* without too much revision at GCSE (which isn't rare on TSR I think)
    Well, I'm one of those rare people on TSR that got an A for maths . Is it possible to choose another subject after nearly 3 months?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FREYA2898)
    Well, I'm one of those rare people on TSR that got an A for maths . Is it possible to choose another subject after nearly 3 months?
    yup yioucan

ReputationRep:
    Even then, maths is really a good choice. Maybe have a look at sample textbook of C1 and if you think you can cope, pick it up? maybe do 5 for the moment and if you think you can cope with maths catching up drop ICT and if you don't think so then continue with ICT

ReputationRep:
    Oh boy, now I regret not choosing ICT instead of English Literature at AS level. It's difficult keeping up with English and I'd rather have something that is really easy so I can drop it when it comes to A2. It would allow me to focus more on my other subjects (Bio, Chem and Spanish). Not sure if its possible though as I only took a BTEC in ICT.

EDIT: Lol, just found out on my school website that I'm eligible to do ICT even if I didn't take the GCSE, I just need a B in GCSE Maths (which I have ;D)

Please tell me if ICT is really as easy as you make it out to be. Also, if a ton more revision goes into ICT than Biology then I'm not doing ICT. I'm also fine with doing coursework. A medical student that came to visit us did ICT and she said it was really easy so I'm considering it!

ReputationRep:
    A lot of universities consider ICT to be useless A-level. This isn't really much of a problem seeing as your other A-levels are fine, but it's worth nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NightShroud99)
    Oh boy, now I regret not choosing ICT instead of English Literature at AS level. It's difficult keeping up with English and I'd rather have something that is really easy so I can drop it when it comes to A2. It would allow me to focus more on my other subjects (Bio, Chem and Spanish). Not sure if its possible though as I only took a BTEC in ICT.

EDIT: Lol, just found out on my school website that I'm eligible to do ICT even if I didn't take the GCSE, I just need a B in GCSE Maths (which I have ;D)

Please tell me if ICT is really as easy as you make it out to be. Also, if a ton more revision goes into ICT than Biology then I'm not doing ICT. I'm also fine with doing coursework. A medical student that came to visit us did ICT and she said it was really easy so I'm considering it!
    Honestly, it is the easiest as-level you will probably do. Our first topic was health and safety at workplace which was soo boring and easy, all you had to say was how having a tiltable monitor will prevent eye strain etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWiseSalmon)
    A lot of universities consider ICT to be useless A-level. This isn't really much of a problem seeing as your other A-levels are fine, but it's worth nothing.
    Do they really? I want to apply for medicine. However, they don't specify in their entry requirements that they hate ICT.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, it is the easiest as-level you will probably do. Our first topic was health and safety at workplace which was soo boring and easy, all you had to say was how having a tiltable monitor will prevent eye strain etc.
    Wow that really is easy! Say, why do you feel as if you should be challenging yourself with a harder A level? (just asking)

ReputationRep:
    Did you start your coursework off doing a PowerPoint? I doing ICT now, in year 13. I currently do maths, further maths and ICT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow that really is easy! Say, why do you feel as if you should be challenging yourself with a harder A level? (just asking)
    I don't really know to be honest, I guess it's because I feel like I'm wasting my time doing a useless subject and there's only 6 people in my class and they usually get C/B's whereas I come out with A's. I guess they really hate that and that makes me feel bad too

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know to be honest, I guess it's because I feel like I'm wasting my time doing a useless subject and there's only 6 people in my class and they usually get C/B's whereas I come out with A's. I guess they really hate that and that makes me feel bad too
    Interesting. I'm also looking to do medicine at uni but my main focus is mostly on Biology, Chemistry and Spanish but English Literature takes almost all of my free time. I like reading but sometimes my analytical skills could use a bit of work. I'm not typically profound of doing such things in English, as I only love the reading aspect of English Literature. I've just come off a general medicine thread asking if medical schools would accept a candidate with ICT as their fourth A level. On a further note, have you got any ideas on what uni's you want to apply to?

ReputationRep:
    Ict is only considered useless as its outdated due to it doesn't teach us programming. But the theory side ( maybe not the health and safety unit though) dies still apply to real life situations. I've just leant about networks at a2 so none of that outdated and the coursework will get harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do they really? I want to apply for medicine. However, they don't specify in their entry requirements that they hate ICT.
    It's not detrimental to take ICT, it's just a bit pointless (unless, for whatever reason, you really enjoy it). It is still considered an A-level by all universities so if your offer is for AAA and you get A's in Biology, Chemistry and ICT you will still meet your offer and be accepted into the Uni.

The only way doing ICT could be detrimental is if you did A-levels such as ICT, Fish Husbandry and Interpretative Dance.

So long as you do the required A-levels for your course, you can take whatever additional A-levels you like. AFAIK for most high demand courses such as Science and Medicine, ICT is only acceptable as a third A-level. Basically, that means it's fine so long as you do Chemistry + some other science (almost certainly Biology)

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. I'm also looking to do medicine at uni but my main focus is mostly on Biology, Chemistry and Spanish but English Literature takes almost all of my free time. I like reading but sometimes my analytical skills could use a bit of work. I'm not typically profound of doing such things in English, as I only love the reading aspect of English Literature. I've just come off a general medicine thread asking if medical schools would accept a candidate with ICT as their fourth A level. On a further note, have you got any ideas on what uni's you want to apply to?
    Not really related but how are you finding Spanish AS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWiseSalmon)
    It's not detrimental to take ICT, it's just a bit pointless (unless, for whatever reason, you really enjoy it). It is still considered an A-level by all universities so if your offer is for AAA and you get A's in Biology, Chemistry and ICT you will still meet your offer and be accepted into the Uni.

The only way doing ICT could be detrimental is if you did A-levels such as ICT, Fish Husbandry and Interpretative Dance.

So long as you do the required A-levels for your course, you can take whatever additional A-levels you like. AFAIK for most high demand courses such as Science and Medicine, ICT is only acceptable as a third A-level. Basically, that means it's fine so long as you do Chemistry + some other science (almost certainly Biology)
    completely irrelevant but i creased at 'fish husbandry and interpretative dance'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mariee16)
    Not really related but how are you finding Spanish AS?
    I'm doing great Getting A's and B's already (I'm a native speaker so that's probably why). My grammar needs a bit of work though!
    I'm presuming that you also do Spanish at A level?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing great Getting A's and B's already (I'm a native speaker so that's probably why). My grammar needs a bit of work though!
    I'm presuming that you also do Spanish at A level?
    Yep, started AS last term and it was definitely not as easy as I remembered at GCSE ahah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mariee16)
    Yep, started AS last term and it was definitely not as easy as I remembered at GCSE ahah.
    Lol What did you get for Spanish at GCSE if you don't mind me asking?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.