Fear of the dentist

Watch
Peanut247
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone. I'm currently doing a project on the prevalence of dental phobia. I find it quite interesting that even some dentists are scared of going to the dentist. I have set up a survey asking your thoughts on dental phobia. Please could you fill it in if you have the time?

It's 9 multiple choice questions, and information given is anonymous

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FNBQR9D
ForgetMe
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Peanut247)
Hi everyone. I'm currently doing a project on the prevalence of dental phobia. I find it quite interesting that even some dentists are scared of going to the dentist. I have set up a survey asking your thoughts on dental phobia. Please could you fill it in if you have the time?

It's 9 multiple choice questions, and information given is anonymous

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FNBQR9D
Done
Blobar
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As a dental student I find it interesting too.

Done the survey for you.
contradicta
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm very scared of the dentist, done.
Simes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why wouldn't anyone be frightened of the dentist, FFS? It HURTS!
username1495504
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I once hit a dentist in the face when they stabbed me in the mouth with a sharp metal thing

You can add that
Peanut247
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blobar)
As a dental student I find it interesting too.

Done the survey for you.
Thank you! I appreciate it! It's great I'm getting a wide range of people completing the survey. I'd love you get your opinion in more depth for my EPQ as a dental student. If you have the time, pop me a PM
Peanut247
Rep:
?
(Original post by Simes)

(Original post by contradicta)
I'm very scared of the dentist, done.
I second that. It's so interesting to see that the majority of people do have dental phobia to an extent, but we deal with it for the sake of our oral health.
Peanut247
Rep:
?
(Original post by Strawberry68)
I once hit a dentist in the face when they stabbed me in the mouth with a sharp metal thing

You can add that
Haha! I've love an account of what happened! Did they not anesthetize you?!
Simes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Strawberry68)
That's their job!

"Dental phobia" as an 'illness' makes as much sense as "wild mad dog phobia" or "being run down when running across the M25 phobia".
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's okay, dental phobic people. I'm scared of having impressions taken of my upper jaw. :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Blobar
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Simes)
Find a new dentist lol, shouldn't hurt one bit apart from the obvious anaesthetic needle .
Simes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Blobar)
Find a new dentist lol, shouldn't hurt one bit apart from the obvious anaesthetic needle .
I've had a few over the years - no difference. All psycho sadists, the lot of them.
LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Done. Used to be very scared,now not really at all. All I was scared of was the needle, but I've gotten over my fear so really there's nothing for me to worry about. Don't get me wrong I still get sweaty palms before I go in, but it's more the unknown and the prospect of shelling out £100's!
Blobar
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Simes)
I've had a few over the years - no difference. All psycho sadists, the lot of them.
Blobar
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you! I appreciate it! It's great I'm getting a wide range of people completing the survey. I'd love you get your opinion in more depth for my EPQ as a dental student. If you have the time, pop me a PM
You can PM me with what you want to ask, I'll reply later on.
Buxtonwater
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What did others value the molar at? I had my wisdom teeth removed outside the UK, I didn't pay for it but the operation was meant to be at a significant cost.
Peanut247
Rep:
?
(Original post by Buxtonwater)
What did others value the molar at? I had my wisdom teeth removed outside the UK, I didn't pay for it but the operation was meant to be at a significant cost.
What the question is asking is if someone paid you x amount of money for your fully healthy fully functional molar tooth, how much would you sell it to them for? It is essentially finding out how much you value your teeth

In my opinion it would be priceless!
Buxtonwater
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What the question is asking is if someone paid you x amount of money for your fully healthy fully functional molar tooth, how much would you sell it to them for? It is essentially finding out how much you value your teeth

In my opinion it would be priceless!
Well considering I've had my wisdom teeth out anyway, I definitely wouldn't value them as priceless, the video of me after having them out though, that's priceless.
username1495504
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Haha! I've love an account of what happened! Did they not anesthetize you?!
(Original post by Simes)
That's their job!

"Dental phobia" as an 'illness' makes as much sense as "wild mad dog phobia" or "being run down when running across the M25 phobia".
I'm not actually afraid of the dentist. She was just bad at her job

I never had any problems before. She had a metal thing in my mouth and was stabbing me with it to 'check my gums'. I told her it was sharp and hurt but she was like "no it's not, it's round". "Round" my arse. She gave my gums one big stab and my arm just flew at her by itself and hit her in the face. She looked really mad and said "well, we won't be doing that again" and then stormed out the room leaving it to the dental assistant.

The assistant was nice and gental

I only had to see this bad dentist once because she left not long after, she was new to the practise too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (22)
70.97%
No (4)
12.9%
Not sure (5)
16.13%

Watched Threads