Peanut247
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone. I'm currently doing a project on the prevalence of dental phobia. I find it quite interesting that even some dentists are scared of going to the dentist. I have set up a survey asking your thoughts on dental phobia. Please could you fill it in if you have the time?

It's 9 multiple choice questions, and information given is anonymous

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FNBQR9D
askew116
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Done

I have quite a bad dental phobia, so this was an interesting survey, although question 9 was a bit random! :cry2:
Peanut247
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by askew116)
Done

I have quite a bad dental phobia, so this was an interesting survey, although question 9 was a bit random! :cry2:
Thanks for filling it in! I appreciate it. Yeah it does look a bit random but I aim to see if there is a correlation between having dental phobia and having the view that teeth are not important.

To be honest, I know a lot of dentists that are scared of going to the dentist so don't worry. I do think dental phobia affects us all in a way!
askew116
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Peanut247)
Thanks for filling it in! I appreciate it. Yeah it does look a bit random but I aim to see if there is a correlation between having dental phobia and having the view that teeth are not important.

To be honest, I know a lot of dentists that are scared of going to the dentist so don't worry. I do think dental phobia affects us all in a way!
Yeah, I know my phobia comes from an incident where my dentist began drilling to do a filling, but the anaesthetic hadn't fully kicked in! :eek3:
A5ko
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The only thing scary about the dentist is the ludicrous prices some of them charge. It would be cheaper to remove your teeth and replace them with plastic fangs.
Grade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Done.
I really enjoyed doing that survey as some of the choices applied to me, although the last question was unusual.

My dental phobia isn't that bad, I'm not even sure I would call it a phobia, to be honest.
When I had braces, I wasn't scared at all.

But, for check ups I don't like.
I have mild tooth decay and cavities, as I love sugar, and every time I go to the dentist, they just use a drill and give me a filling, and when I go back again, it's the same problem.
I have a feeling my dentist is disappointed with my teeth every time I go back, as they always fill them, and a year later I get decay again. It's weird, and I brush my teeth twice a day. I just think I have naturally weak teeth.

I also don't like the pain when they remove the decay, which is why I don't like the dentist.
The drill being stabbed into your molars is agonizing, it feels like metal being scraped against your tooth. It's so uncomfortable, I have to clench my fists to ease the pain, especially when you can feel the drill scraping through the dentin. :eek:
Not to mention, when you have several machines jammed into your mouth, during the process, such as those air tubes, and the water tubes. The assistant literally jabs it under your tongue, where all the flesh is, so it gets quiet hard to breathe during the process.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (80)
61.54%
No (50)
38.46%

Watched Threads