The Student Room Group

How much does a CIMA qualification cost?

To become a qualified chartered accountant?

Are there payment plans?

Who is the best provider?

What is the earning potential after?
Reply 1
From start to finish, why not go to Kaplan/BPP's websites (there are others too) and they will list the cost of each course.

It also depends on if you want to pay for tuition, or prefer to just do it all long distance. The price will then vary massively.

I'm not aware of payment plans being offered for BPP/Kaplan, and I can't imagine why there would be as it leaves them open to non-payers who have already done the course.

I would really recommend that you don't self-fund, but rather find a company that will sponsor you through the exams as well as give you the practical experience needed (3 years) to become a qualified accountant.

Earning potential for newly qualifieds is anything between £35-45k usually.

For anything beyond that point, you're better off looking at the CIMA annual salary survey:

http://www.cimaglobal.com/Documents/Jobs-docs/Salary_Survey/2013/2013_Salary_Survey_UK.pdf

And as a side note, CIMA is a chartered body but you would not be able to call yourself a 'chartered accountant' - management accountant is the correct term here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pipsico
From start to finish, why not go to Kaplan/BPP's websites (there are others too) and they will list the cost of each course.

It also depends on if you want to pay for tuition, or prefer to just do it all long distance. The price will then vary massively.

I'm not aware of payment plans being offered for BPP/Kaplan, and I can't imagine why there would be as it leaves them open to non-payers who have already done the course.

I would really recommend that you don't self-fund, but rather find a company that will sponsor you through the exams as well as give you the practical experience needed (3 years) to become a qualified accountant.

Earning potential for newly qualifieds is anything between £35-45k usually.

For anything beyond that point, you're better off looking at the CIMA annual salary survey:

http://www.cimaglobal.com/Documents/Jobs-docs/Salary_Survey/2013/2013_Salary_Survey_UK.pdf

And as a side note, CIMA is a chartered body but you would not be able to call yourself a 'chartered accountant' - management accountant is the correct term here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the useful info! :hugs:
Reply 3
Original post by Pipsico

Come on now, you CIMA lot are supposed to be commercially minded! You can't think why BPP/Kaplan might offer a payment plan? No thoughts come to mind? :tongue:

That said, not sure if either of them actually do, but the logic above isn't sound.

Original post by Pipsico

To clarify - CIMA is a chartered body and stands for Chartered Institute of Management Accountants. So technicalities aside, you are "chartered" and can do anything someone with an ACA or ACCA can.
Reply 4
Original post by M1011
Come on now, you CIMA lot are supposed to be commercially minded! You can't think why BPP/Kaplan might offer a payment plan? No thoughts come to mind? :tongue:

That said, not sure if either of them actually do, but the logic above isn't sound.

To clarify - CIMA is a chartered body and stands for Chartered Institute of Management Accountants. So technicalities aside, you are "chartered" and can do anything someone with an ACA or ACCA can.

Ah fair enough on the first point. I've just started the ACT qualification and have had them threaten disqualification from exams for not paying - I just lazily extended that onto CIMA too.
I had a look and, it seems like Kaplan do offer a 4 or 9 part payment plan.

The chartered point... I'm going to put the blame solely on my CIMA tutor for telling me I can't call myself chartered!
A quick google shows that you can call yourself a 'Chartered management accountant'

However, 'Chartered accountant' has a different sentiment to it (they can sign off accounts) and so is not appropriate to use.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Pipsico
Ah fair enough on the first point. I've just started the ACT qualification and have had them threaten disqualification from exams for not paying - I just lazily extended that onto CIMA too.
I had a look and, it seems like Kaplan do offer a 4 or 9 part payment plan.

The chartered point... I'm going to put the blame solely on my CIMA tutor for telling me I can't call myself chartered!
A quick google shows that you can call yourself a 'Chartered management accountant'

However, 'Chartered accountant' has a different sentiment to it (they can sign off accounts) and so is not appropriate to us.

When you say they can sign off accounts, are you referring to audit? If so that's true. If you mean sign off as in create company accounts and submit - you don't need to even be an accountant to do that technically.

In practical terms, CIMA / ACA / ACCA all mean much the same thing to the majority of accountants who work in industry. So don't under sell yourself :smile:
Original post by Joyful_soul
To become a qualified chartered accountant?

Are there payment plans?

Who is the best provider?

What is the earning potential after?

Hi Joyful_soul, if you're planning to become a chartered accountant, you will probably find our latest accountancy and finance industry survey interesting. We spoke to 149 employers and asked what they look for in their entry level candidates. The results are very interesting:

CIMA, ACCA and AAT are the most recommended qualifications for entry-level accountants;

46% of employers place importance on a professional qualification when looking for entry-level accountancy candidates;

73% rate previous work experience as “extremely important” or “important”;

88% employers stated that communication skills are regarded as the most useful attribute, closely followed by people skills and teamwork (84%).

If you’d like to see more, LSBF and GAAPweb’s Industry Report; ‘What do Financial and Accounting Employers Want?’ can be accessed here: http://blog.lsbf.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/LSBF-GAAPweb-Accountancy-Industry-Report.pdf

Best,
LSBF Team
Hi Joyful_soul,

LSBF's post is exactly right - CIMA, ACCA and AAT are the most common and usually recommended qualifications for starting off in Accountancy

As it was mentioned earlier, BPP do offer payment plans, as well Professional Apprenticeships - which I'd personally recommend from experience as a fantastic way to start learning a career whilst earning and getting experience (but that's just my view!)

Best of luck with your Studies!

Lucy - BPP Professional Qualifications
Would you be able give an estimate of percentage of full Cima members employability and and the average salary the are lilkely to receive

Thanks
Original post by bushidoknight
Would you be able give an estimate of percentage of full Cima members employability and and the average salary the are lilkely to receive

Thanks

Hi, CIMA actually has a great Salary Calculator they've just released - try it out here: salary.cimaglobal.com

Hopefully this will give you some insight into what you can expect, thanks!

Lucy - BPP Professional Qualifications
Thanks for that Lucy

I understand that i need work exp to be fully CIMA qualified

im planning to gain the certificate level through self tuition, and then apply for a accountancy position. If i was to it would qualify for the CIMA work exp and theirs a chance they may pay for my tuition for the full qualification.

Do you think this is a good plan to go through with?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending