The Student Room Group

Can someone confirm the definition of an isotope OCR AS

Hey guys,

I've always learnt the definition of an isotope as 'elements of the same atomic form with the same number of protons (can you also say electrons?) but different number of neutrons.

The OCR book has the definition as 'atoms of the same element with different numbers of neutron

Would my definition be correct also?
Original post by rm_27
Hey guys,

I've always learnt the definition of an isotope as 'elements of the same atomic form with the same number of protons (can you also say electrons?) but different number of neutrons.

The OCR book has the definition as 'atoms of the same element with different numbers of neutron

Go with the book ...
Reply 2
Original post by rm_27
Hey guys,

Go with the book. The number of protons just identifies the element.
You definitely can't say electrons
I did the same exam board for gcse and you lost a mark for saying electrons; only protons

Posted from TSR Mobile
Book definition is better. I think both definitions basically say the same thing but the book is more concise. An element is defined by the number of protons, isotopes have the same number of protons (i.e. are the same element) but have different numbers of neutrons (i.e. different masses).

Quick Reply

Latest