The Student Room Group

HELP ! I need a CHEAP sim free smartphone

Hey guys,

I need a CHEAP sim free smartphone. Doesn't need to be fancy, just needs to be able to use the internet AND tether, preferably with touch screen and Android. So far the best deal I've found is the LG L20 for £49.95 from carphone warehouse. Any other better deals? Am also somewhat open to like-new or excellent condition used phones.

Any suggestions?
Original post by dgeorge
Hey guys,

I need a CHEAP sim free smartphone. Doesn't need to be fancy, just needs to be able to use the internet AND tether, preferably with touch screen and Android. So far the best deal I've found is the LG L20 for £49.95 from carphone warehouse. Any other better deals? Am also somewhat open to like-new or excellent condition used phones.

Any suggestions?

Good lord the screen on that thing is woeful! See if you can get either a Lumia 530 or Moto E on PAYG upgrade from Carphone Warehouse for within budget.
Reply 2
Would it be unlocked? I'm intending on using gift gaff.

Also, since I don't actually reside in the UK full-time, I have no idea how PAYG upgrade works, please fill me in.

:colondollar:
Original post by dgeorge
Would it be unlocked? I'm intending on using gift gaff.

Also, since I don't actually reside in the UK full-time, I have no idea how PAYG upgrade works, please fill me in.

:colondollar:

The Carphone Warehouse doesn't support GiffGaff, and as you have to buy a top up with their handsets, you should buy the phone from somewhere else like Amazon, then get the GiffGaff sim.
Reply 4
Original post by jameswhughes
The Carphone Warehouse doesn't support GiffGaff, and as you have to buy a top up with their handsets, you should buy the phone from somewhere else like Amazon, then get the GiffGaff sim.

You don't have to buy a top up with their handsets - they do unlocked/sim free offers.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/pay-as-you-go/sim-free-phones
Nokia smart phones are good :smile:
Original post by dgeorge
You don't have to buy a top up with their handsets - they do unlocked/sim free offers.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/pay-as-you-go/sim-free-phones

Ok, my mistake. :colondollar:

I would recommend having a look on Amazon as well though, they have some better prices for unlocked phones.
Reply 7
Original post by jameswhughes
Ok, my mistake. :colondollar:

I would recommend having a look on Amazon as well though, they have some better prices for unlocked phones.

I've looked through Amazon, best find was one Huawei Y330 (used) for £38.99.

Like I said, I'd prefer a phone NEW, but I do understand that my budget is extremely limiting, and I'll happily take a good condition phone. Just checking to see ALL my options.
Original post by dgeorge
Hey guys,

Any suggestions?

Use the CPW Upgrade thing.....if you ever had a pay as you go sim and for more than 6 months and topped up, you'll qualify to get a cheap phone.

I got the Lumia 530 for £530, despite the lack of ram its very smooth and can create a hotspot. The only other alternative worth it on the upgrade is the Huawei Y550 which has 4G, so 4G speed tethering is possible :biggrin:
Original post by Iqbal007
Use the CPW Upgrade thing.....if you ever had a pay as you go sim and for more than 6 months and topped up, you'll qualify to get a cheap phone.

I got the Lumia 530 for £530, despite the lack of ram its very smooth and can create a hotspot. The only other alternative worth it on the upgrade is the Huawei Y550 which has 4G, so 4G speed tethering is possible :biggrin:

I second this, I love my 530 it does basically everything. It's battery life isn't half bad either, easily beats my flatmates iphones.
Zte racer or Moto G are would I would get

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending