The Student Room Group

How do I know if I am suitable for a Maths degree?

What qualities and attitudes must one possess to successfully complete a Maths degree?

Scroll to see replies

Be good at Maths. Enjoy problem solving. Hard work is
a plus too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by donutellme
Be good at Maths. Enjoy problem solving. Hard work is
a plus too.

Ok, how do you define a person as being 'good at Maths'
"good math background" I'm not in uni but there was kid in my old school in year 7 and finished a degree in maths or on last year I think now.
Reply 4
I would say wanting to do a maths degree would be the main criterion.
If you struggle to look people in the eye during social interactions, a maths degree is for you!
Reply 6
I saw something on twitter recently..I can't remember the quote perfectly or who posted it but it was something to the effect that

mathematicians don't find maths easy, they enjoy the fact that it is difficult.

Seriously, you don't have to be brilliant, you just have to enjoy learning/doing maths...I think.
Original post by Joyful_soul
Ok, how do you define a person as being 'good at Maths'

Well, that depends on the University you're applying to.

Generally, you should find the A-level syllabus very easy, and be happy tackling complex problems involving those topics.
:frown:
Original post by Brit_Miller
If you struggle to look people in the eye during social interactions, a maths degree is for you!
Reply 9
Original post by Joyful_soul
What qualities and attitudes must one possess to successfully complete a Maths degree?

I'm doing a maths degree, and I'd describe myself as hard-working and a lover of maths.

Also, I'm probably crazy for willingly subjecting myself to three years of university-level mathematics :biggrin: :teehee:
Original post by Gax
I'm doing a maths degree, and I'd describe myself as hard-working and a lover of maths.

Also, I'm probably crazy for willingly subjecting myself to three years of university-level mathematics :biggrin: :teehee:

Mind me asking what you got at A-level maths and what units you sat? so like M1 and that :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by I_Like_Maths
Mind me asking what you got at A-level maths and what units you sat? so like M1 and that :smile:

Edexcel C1-4, S1, M1, got an A overall, no retakes :biggrin:
Original post by Gax
Edexcel C1-4, S1, M1, got an A overall, no retakes :biggrin:

Nice mate:biggrin:, What would you rate as the hardest units out of the ones you sat? I hear a lot of worrying things about C3/C4 and M1 especially M1 as I don't have a physics background.
Reply 13
Nice mate:biggrin:, What would you rate as the hardest units out of the ones you sat? I hear a lot of worrying things about C3/C4 and M1 especially M1 as I don't have a physics background.

Thanks! :biggrin:

I think for me M1 was probably the hardest unit, with the vectors and forces and such :/ C4 isn't that hard, I don't think...it's just that half of the book is literally integration and it can get a bit frustrating at times :angry: C3 isn't actually that hard. I remember last year when I sat it it was actually the easiest of all my maths exams :lol: S1 is reallyyyy easy, it's just long when you have to work out averages and means :h:
Original post by Gax
Thanks! :biggrin:

I think for me M1 was probably the hardest unit, with the vectors and forces and such :/ C4 isn't that hard, I don't think...it's just that half of the book is literally integration and it can get a bit frustrating at times :angry: C3 isn't actually that hard. I remember last year when I sat it it was actually the easiest of all my maths exams :lol: S1 is reallyyyy easy, it's just long when you have to work out averages and means :h:

Haha oh god that worries me even more then about M1 then :mad:
I'm currently sitting D1 as my applied unit this year however next year I have to do M1. And if I am to pick Further maths up as well next year I will have to do M2 and M3 on top of that I think. I don't think it will be a fun year :s-smilie:
Reply 15
I'm currently sitting D1 as my applied unit this year however next year I have to do M1. And if I am to pick Further maths up as well next year I will have to do M2 and M3 on top of that I think. I don't think it will be a fun year :s-smilie:

Nah you'll be fine as long as you have a decent teacher and put enough work in :h: My teacher taught himself M1-4 when he was doing his A levels so he knew just how to get us to understand the topics :yep: Plus, you can always try examsolutions.net :lol:
Original post by Gax
Nah you'll be fine as long as you have a decent teacher and put enough work in :h: My teacher taught himself M1-4 when he was doing his A levels so he knew just how to get us to understand the topics :yep: Plus, you can always try examsolutions.net :lol:

I've been using examsolutions since I started this year and it's been a great help for me:smile:

Can I just ask mate? How come you didn't pick up further maths? Did your college/SF not offer it or did you feel it would have been too much?
Reply 17
I've been using examsolutions since I started this year and it's been a great help for me:smile:

Can I just ask mate? How come you didn't pick up further maths? Did your college/SF not offer it or did you feel it would have been too much?

No I really wanted to do it but my school didn't offer it, and I couldn't be asked to move to another school that did :lol: No regrets though, as I had some good times in those two years there :yep: And my uni's teaching us further maths topics from scratch anyway, so it's all good :tongue:

M1 is fine, and very doable without doing Physics AS. Although I think it has the steepest learning curve out of all the AS modules, but once you get the hang of drawing diagrams and resolving forces you're good.

Most of M2 isn't very hard, but I found Centres of Mass and the first half of statics of a rigid body to be difficult.
Original post by ThatPerson
M1 is fine, and very doable without doing Physics AS. Although I think it has the steepest learning curve out of all the AS modules, but once you get the hang of drawing diagrams and resolving forces you're good.

Most of M2 isn't very hard, but I found Centres of Mass and the first half of statics of a rigid body to be difficult.

Do you think i'd still be alright even without GCSE Physics?
Also would it be possible to learn M1/M2 and possibly M3 all in the same year? Cause i'm going to assume they all build off knowledge of the previous unit.

Quick Reply

Latest