The Student Room Group

Dyslexia test results

I have just started my second year of university and have just been tested for Dyslexia. It was my friends that encouraged me to go and get tested as they were the ones that could see how much I was having difficulty. I just don't know how to tell my parent about it. I know they will feel like it is there fault that I struggled so much during school as I was never tested before now.

any advice would be great

Thank you guys :smile:
What was the result?
Reply 2
i got positively tested for dyslexia at the end of year 10, they day after my english gcse. that was hard. i am now year 12

i really struggled telling my mum about it, it was my firends who told me to get tested, and i didnt bring it up with her. how could i have dysleia now when i am so far into my education. turned out i am strongly dyslexic. and my friends cant work out how i almost always write my e's backwords!

its really hard for me to bring it up, and my perants where getting devorsed at the time.
i posted on yahoo the issue, and someone sejusted to me to send them a link to the question to them to show them how worried i was about it. it was really good advise as they had time to process it before talkingm it also showed i was really worried about it as i outlined it in the post. i am trying to find it fpr you but cant yet.
i would show them this post as thats what i ddi. or ypu could write it in a book/note. i know everyone says it, but it really helped telling her and i wish i did it sooner. if ypu want someone to talk to please message me, as i wish i had an anominous online 'mate' who knew how i felt and could have talked to
Reply 3
Original post by horseyfan
i got positively tested for dyslexia at the end of year 10, they day after my english gcse. that was hard. i am now year 12

i really struggled telling my mum about it, it was my firends who told me to get tested, and i didnt bring it up with her. how could i have dysleia now when i am so far into my education. turned out i am strongly dyslexic. and my friends cant work out how i almost always write my e's backwords!

its really hard for me to bring it up, and my perants where getting devorsed at the time.
i posted on yahoo the issue, and someone sejusted to me to send them a link to the question to them to show them how worried i was about it. it was really good advise as they had time to process it before talkingm it also showed i was really worried about it as i outlined it in the post. i am trying to find it fpr you but cant yet.
i would show them this post as thats what i ddi. or ypu could write it in a book/note. i know everyone says it, but it really helped telling her and i wish i did it sooner. if ypu want someone to talk to please message me, as i wish i had an anominous online 'mate' who knew how i felt and could have talked to

Hey bro I just wanted to say good for you! Even if you have dyslexia don't let it stop you I think its still possible to be great and with it will make you just as much more amazing, same goes for OP. If you ever need any support ill always be open to help :smile:
Reply 4
Hey, how's it going? did you tell your parents??
I never thought it was an issue to tell the parents... I always thought it's the other way round... i heard so many parents found it difficult to broke the news to their child becoz they don't want them to see themselves as a "disable" person....
I guess what we need is a better understanding on dyslexia and accept the fact that the way we learn and process are a bit different then the "normal" ones. but tbh, what's normal?! there's 1 in 10 in the UK. there's quite a lot of us :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Bitzy
Hey, how's it going? did you tell your parents??
I never thought it was an issue to tell the parents... I always thought it's the other way round... i heard so many parents found it difficult to broke the news to their child becoz they don't want them to see themselves as a "disable" person....
I guess what we need is a better understanding on dyslexia and accept the fact that the way we learn and process are a bit different then the "normal" ones. but tbh, what's normal?! there's 1 in 10 in the UK. there's quite a lot of us :biggrin:

Amen to that!

Quick Reply

Latest