Students of King Edwards VI Stourbridge?

Watch
EmmaL.AM
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm currently in the process of choosing which college I go to next year after completing my GCSEs and I've found myself rather torn. The 'ordinary' local colleges aren't appealing to me too much and I feel my best way forward is King Edwards Sixth Form in Stourbridge. I've looked around and spoken to students and staff and feel it's the most welcoming place. I'd say I'll achieve the entry requirements easily, but I was wondering if anybody here is a King Edwards student and what they would like to say about the Sixth Form? There is a lot of talk about it being difficult and a very patronizing college so I want an opinion of a student, thanks!
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey, just giving this thread a little bump in the hopes someone will see it and reply
Marcusroye98
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello
I applied to King Eds and got an offer but i declined it its a good college but there are a few sixth forms which are much better but it depends if you prefer a college or sixth form
LucentDoughnut98
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by EmmaL.AM)
I'm currently in the process of choosing which college I go to next year after completing my GCSEs and I've found myself rather torn. The 'ordinary' local colleges aren't appealing to me too much and I feel my best way forward is King Edwards Sixth Form in Stourbridge. I've looked around and spoken to students and staff and feel it's the most welcoming place. I'd say I'll achieve the entry requirements easily, but I was wondering if anybody here is a King Edwards student and what they would like to say about the Sixth Form? There is a lot of talk about it being difficult and a very patronizing college so I want an opinion of a student, thanks!
I also had an offer, but declined it due to not liking the atmosphere very much when i visited for open day and interview, depends on the person though really
beyknowles
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by EmmaL.AM)
I started there this year. Coming from a family of 8 children where only one of my 5 older siblings actually bothered with education at all, King Eds was made out to be like a palace that only people who are absolutely amazing go to.

Personally, I don't think it is above average at all. The pass rates are high because King Eds accept applicants with high target grades/exam results who are therefore likely to do well.

I anticipated that it would be absolutely amazing to go to such a highly thought of college but it isn't all it's choked up to be. I don't like the atmosphere at all. I feel as though people aren't as welcoming as they could be. A lot of the teachers are 'up themselves' and treat you like you're still in school.

One thing I hate is that after about only 2-3 weeks everyone has formed their 'circle' so if you came with not many people from your high school and you're not very confident then you can feel very lonely.

Not to entirely put you off because if you want to do well and you work hard then you can achieve good grades at the worst of colleges, but if you find a different college which you like I would definitely recommend going there ! It's not all it's made out to be.

Hope it helps and good luck with your upcoming exams

Just stating, although it's considered to be a Sixth Form, it isn't actually connected to a school. (Not sure if you know this)

I just re-read and saw the comment about patronising. I do think many staff are patronising but some are really nice and helpful! (Don't want to be all negative)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (606)
33.8%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (750)
41.83%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (357)
19.91%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.46%

Watched Threads