The Student Room Group

Grading

Hi,
I'm studying Geography and we've been doing practice exams in lesson in which an A requires 80%, but then I look at last Junes grade boundaries and 69/120 (57.5%) is an A. Through quickly looking at other grade boundaries, not just geography, it's rare that 80% of the raw marks is actually required to get an A. So my question is, why do colleges and six forms use 80% as a boundary for the A? I'm confused.

Any explanation is appreciated,
Kind regards,
Ben
Reply 1
Original post by Sacred Ground
Hi,
I'm studying Geography and we've been doing practice exams in lesson in which an A requires 80%, but then I look at last Junes grade boundaries and 69/120 (57.5%) is an A. Through quickly looking at other grade boundaries, not just geography, it's rare that 80% of the raw marks is actually required to get an A. So my question is, why do colleges and six forms use 80% as a boundary for the A? I'm confused.

In UMS, 80% is required for an A for all A level papers. You're right that, with the exception of maths, the raw boundaries are generally noticeably lower. The reason schools tend to stick with 80% are:

it's simple

it's hard to determine what the raw mark boundaries are for individual questions

It tends to underestimate your grade so you don't become complacent.

Some of them don't understand the difference between raw and UMS.

Original post by Compost
In UMS, 80% is required for an A for all A level papers. You're right that, with the exception of maths, the raw boundaries are generally noticeably lower. The reason schools tend to stick with 80% are:

it's simple

it's hard to determine what the raw mark boundaries are for individual questions

It tends to underestimate your grade so you don't become complacent.

Some of them don't understand the difference between raw and UMS.

Thanks so much!

Quick Reply

Latest