Wanting to study an A Level as an individual; what are the steps? Watch

Davalla
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I really want to enter myself to start studying an A Level, such as Sociology. So how would I go about in doing this? There are a few questions that I have:
1. Which exam board is the best to choose from (cheapest:yep:)?
AQA has Sociology for £82.50, whereas WJEC seems considerably less? Is this right?
AQA:
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/li...ES-2014-15.PDF

WJEC:
http://www.wjec.co.uk/exam-officers/...?language_id=1

2. How do I actually approach enrolling as an individual? Once I have found an examination centre; what would I say to them!?

3. Would there be other fees to pay?

Sociology was a chosen example as I already have a fair background in the subject, and is concept based, etc.

If anyone could help with any of this, I would appreciate it a lot.
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
WJEC's prices are per unit - so it'd cost roughly £80 with WJEC as well.

Contact an exam centre (a sixth form is generally a good bet), and tell them you're interested in taking an exam there and ask for further advice.

The exam centre may charge an entry fee.

Make sure you choose an exam board with no coursework (or bare minimum of coursework), to make life easier.
Davalla
Rep:
?
(Original post by loperdoper)
WJEC's prices are per unit - so it'd cost roughly £80 with WJEC as well.

Contact an exam centre (a sixth form is generally a good bet), and tell them you're interested in taking an exam there and ask for further advice.

The exam centre may charge an entry fee.

Make sure you choose an exam board with no coursework (or bare minimum of coursework), to make life easier.

Much appreciated.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Davalla)
I really want to enter myself to start studying an A Level, such as Sociology. So how would I go about in doing this? There are a few questions that I have:
1. Which exam board is the best to choose from (cheapest:yep:)?
AQA has Sociology for £82.50, whereas WJEC seems considerably less? Is this right?
AQA:
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/li...ES-2014-15.PDF

WJEC:
http://www.wjec.co.uk/exam-officers/...?language_id=1

2. How do I actually approach enrolling as an individual? Once I have found an examination centre; what would I say to them!?

3. Would there be other fees to pay?

Sociology was a chosen example as I already have a fair background in the subject, and is concept based, etc.

If anyone could help with any of this, I would appreciate it a lot.

1. The difference in exam board fees is insignificant compared to the charges different centres impose. Unless you're in Wales, choose AQA for Sociology as it is a far more popular spec and it will be easier to find a centre to accept you.

2. Look on exam board websites for advice to private candidates. AQA has a list of possible centres but it is not very accurate so try ones close to you but also b prepared to ring round, ask to speak to the exams officer and ask if they accept private candidates. Try and have some details ready before you ring - if you sound organised then they are more likely to accept you.

3. The centre fees vary enormously. If you manage to find a centre to accept you for £30 or less per unit (including exam board fees) then you have a real bargain. Expect more (£50-70 per unit?), particularly in London.

4. As the basics of specifications are defined by OFQUAL, if one exam board involves coursework for a subject then the others will as well. It is much, much easier to enter as a private candidate for subjects without coursework (Sociology, Psychology, Economics, Business Studies, maths, Law etc) than those with, so try and stick to those.
yabbayabba
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did this when retaking. Contact sixth form colleges in your area and ask if they will take you as a private candidate, generally private schools are more likely to take you on than state schools.

There will be a charge from the exam centre unless you somehow strike lucky. Study for the exam independently or with a private tutor if you need it and then turn up on the day. And yes, avoid coursework if possible. I imagine that would be a nightmare logistically, I never did that thankfully.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Davalla
Rep:
?
Thanks all!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (14)
7.11%
They might tell the bully (20)
10.15%
I don't think they'd understand (33)
16.75%
It might lead to more bullying (71)
36.04%
There's nothing they could do (59)
29.95%

Watched Threads

Latest