The Student Room Group

Year 11 GCSE grades? Worried about studying medicine?

So I've had a rough deal with health issues, and I missed most of my school career, including almost all of KS3 and a quarter of Year 10, however I am trying to get at least 3-6 A*'s, the rest A's (excluding math), including A* in Triple Science, but I'm not very good at math. I'm predicted a C but trying my best to get a B and winning - almost there. I want to study at UCL but I've read they put a lot of emphasis on GCSE.

I am eligible for extenuating circumstances though.

Do I stand a chance? If I was rejected the first time and took a gap year, would UCL accept GCSE Math retakes if I tried to get the C/B to an A/A*?

I'm willing to do everything I can to get there. I'm working my ass off.

Also I'm planning to go to one of those crash courses for the BMAT/UKCAT when the time comes etc. Oh, and absolutely tons of work experience.
(edited 9 years ago)
This is something that you really need to ask UCL/any other medical schools you are thinking of applying to, only they will know for your specific set of circumstances.

You haven't even finished GCSEs, so don't panic yet, you don't yet know if you will need to retake. If you do get a C in maths GCSE, then ask the medical schools if they will accept that, and if not then if they will accept a resit. Bear in mind that you could resit GCSE maths in your AS year if you are worried about taking an extra year.

If you do get a C and UCL will not accept either a C or a resit (ask them, because I don't actually know), then consider other medical schools that will - you need to apply to 3 others anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by theresheglows
This is something that you really need to ask UCL/any other medical schools you are thinking of applying to, only they will know for your specific set of circumstances.

You haven't even finished GCSEs, so don't panic yet, you don't yet know if you will need to retake. If you do get a C in maths GCSE, then ask the medical schools if they will accept that, and if not then if they will accept a resit. Bear in mind that you could resit GCSE maths in your AS year if you are worried about taking an extra year.

If you do get a C and UCL will not accept either a C or a resit (ask them, because I don't actually know), then consider other medical schools that will - you need to apply to 3 others anyway.

Thank-you very much! :smile: Do you know how many A*'s at GCSE, at minimum, I should be aiming for? I'm really paranoid because I want this so bad. I am hoping to get at least three A*'s, and maximum would be seven A*'s. I'm just freaking out about the whole A* situation, as medicine is outrageously competitive but I'm determined.
Original post by Seeyousoon
Thank-you very much! :smile: Do you know how many A*'s at GCSE, at minimum, I should be aiming for? I'm really paranoid because I want this so bad. I am hoping to get at least three A*'s, and maximum would be seven A*'s. I'm just freaking out about the whole A* situation, as medicine is outrageously competitive but I'm determined.

You should aim for the highest grades you can achieve in as many of the subjects you are doing as possible, then when you achieve your results look at applying strategically according to the number of A*s/As. For some medical schools a certain number or % of A*s is important to be a competitive applicant; while some others regard A* as no different than A. A good start as a guide is the medicine wiki here, but check the individual medical schools as it needs to be updated.

Quick Reply

Latest