The Student Room Group

intermollecular forces

Describe 2 unusual physical properties of water which are due to the formation of hydrogen bonds. Explain how hydrogen bonds give rise to these physical properties?

I think one is that it expands as it freezes but I don't know why

and does anyone know any other physical properties?
Original post by bl64
Describe 2 unusual physical properties of water which are due to the formation of hydrogen bonds. Explain how hydrogen bonds give rise to these physical properties?

I think one is that it expands as it freezes but I don't know why

and does anyone know any other physical properties?

High melting point, high boiling point, high surface tension. Hydrogen bonds give added cohesiveness between molecules of water.
Original post by Holmstock
High melting point, high boiling point, high surface tension. Hydrogen bonds give added cohesiveness between molecules of water.

You need to say higher than expected melting and boiling points

Ice is less dense than water because in order for the solid lattice to form the water molecules have to move apart to form 2 hydrogen bonds per molecule resulting in an open lattice.

Higher than expected boiling point is because water molecules can form on average 2 H bonds per molecule and H bonds are stronger than permanent dipole - permanent dipole force and van der waals forces so more energy is required to break them hence a higher boiling point.

Quick Reply

Latest