[email protected]
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Currently, I am a student on BA Education Studies degree. After I graduate I am thinking of taking TEFL certificate to teach English as a second language in Saudi Arabia. I am aware that they need English native speakers only and I am prepared to take Cambridge's university English language test. However, I have been wondering if I need a PGCE in order to gain a teaching qualification or a good quality TEFL course would do?

Thank you in advance
yabbayabba
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by [email protected])
Currently, I am a student on BA Education Studies degree. After I graduate I am thinking of taking TEFL certificate to teach English as a second language in Saudi Arabia. I am aware that they need English native speakers only and I am prepared to take Cambridge's university English language test. However, I have been wondering if I need a PGCE in order to gain a teaching qualification or a good quality TEFL course would do?

Thank you in advance
TEFL or equivalent is all you need to teach English abroad.

Pgce is for teachers in UK schools teaching their subject(s) in the UK and lasts a year or two. TEFL can be completed much faster.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Caver
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Saudi Arabia usually requires two or more years experience and a teaching certification in your country (For UK, PGCE) However, other destinations such as South Korea, China, Thailand and sometimes Japan (Japan is more competitive) just require a bachelors degree.
[email protected]
Rep:
?
(Original post by yabbayabba)
TEFL or equivalent is all you need to teach English abroad.

Pgce is for teachers in UK schools teaching their subject(s) in the UK and lasts a year or two. TEFL can be completed much faster.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for answering my question. I have one more question .. do I need a PGCE to teach in an international school abroad?
[email protected]
Rep:
?
(Original post by Caver)
Saudi Arabia usually requires two or more years experience and a teaching certification in your country (For UK, PGCE) However, other destinations such as South Korea, China, Thailand and sometimes Japan (Japan is more competitive) just require a bachelors degree.
so do I need a PGCE and two years of experience in teaching English as a second language? is that what you mean?
Caver
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
so do I need a PGCE and two years of experience in teaching English as a second language? is that what you mean?
Yes, I highly recommend spending two years in South Korea on the EPIK Program, they require thousands of teachers a year with a great salary, this will be an excellent opportunity to gain experience and have a good time!
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you want to teach in international schools abroad, teaching IGCSEs, A Levels, IB etc, then having a PGCE (rather than 'just' a TEFL qualification) will definitely be an advantage as more schools will be interested in hiring you. This is definitely true, too, if you want to teach a subject other than English.
Caver
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you for answering my question. I have one more question .. do I need a PGCE to teach in an international school abroad?
I like answering your questions, it's fine haha. British International schools require a PGCE however, American International Schools are difficult as they require American qualifications. I went to the American International School Budapest and there were 3-4 British teachers though. International Schools (that isn't American or British) will probably require teacher certification within your country (PGCE)
Edit; However due to the prices of tuition in these schools, jobs are more competitive and they are similar to Saudi Arabia; they require 2 years experience (majority of them)
wesleysneijder
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do a CELTA course. its 10000% better than tefl... i have tefl.. but i think celta is the one to go for!
yabbayabba
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Like other have said, yes. To just teach English as a foreign language and that's it then you only need TEFL, to teach other subjects in an international school (science, Maths, English literature etc) you would need a PGCE or equivalent teaching qualification as you're teaching a subject that goes into more depth than English as a foreign language.
laura.a.c265
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My OH works in Saudi at the moment. If you want to teach English to Saudis then you do need a Masters & CELTA or TESOL or another form of Education MA plus 2 years experience teaching ESL.

If you want to teach British children in one of the British International Schools you need a PGCE in the relevant field. Lots of the job adverts state 2 years experience but they have recently started accepting NQT's in some schools.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (500)
59.81%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.14%
No- I want it (237)
28.35%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.7%

Watched Threads