University suggestions based on my GCSE grades

Watch this thread
Michiyo
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello. I am a Romanian student who moved to England this summer. I am in Year 11 and very concerned if my GCSE predictions are enough for a good university or not. Since I only have one year to do all of my GCSE's, I obviously have to catch up a lot, and I thought it would be better to ask in advance so I would know how much I need to revise for all of my subjects. (I know that it is November and that I still have around seven or eight months until my exams, but that is exactly why I am asking, so I will be able to design an effective study schedule and stick to it until then in order to get the best GCSE grades possible.)

These are my currently predicted GCSE grades:

English Language: A*
English Literature: A-A*
Higher Mathematics: C
Triple Science: C-B
History: A-A*
Psychology: B-A
Business Studies - A-A*
Religious Studies: A*

I am aware that A-levels are very important too, but for now I have to get good grades on my GCSE's so I would not doom my chances of going to a good university and I am fairly confident that I will be able to get A's and A*'s at my A-levels.

So... Are they good enough for a prestigious university? Any university suggestions? (If it helps, I am in the South West.)

Thank you a lot.^^
Buxtonwater
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
They'll be good enough for a good university, possibly not Oxbridge level but still somewhere good, unless you can get all the A-A*s as definite A*s.
AdamCee
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Michiyo)
Hello. I am a Romanian student who moved to England this summer. I am in Year 11 and very concerned if my GCSE predictions are enough for a good university or not. Since I only have one year to do all of my GCSE's, I obviously have to catch up a lot, and I thought it would be better to ask in advance so I would know how much I need to revise for all of my subjects. (I know that it is November and that I still have around seven or eight months until my exams, but that is exactly why I am asking, so I will be able to design an effective study schedule and stick to it until then in order to get the best GCSE grades possible.)

These are my currently predicted GCSE grades:

English Language: A*
English Literature: A-A*
Higher Mathematics: C
Triple Science: C-B
History: A-A*
Psychology: B-A
Business Studies - A-A*
Religious Studies: A*

I am aware that A-levels are very important too, but for now I have to get good grades on my GCSE's so I would not doom my chances of going to a good university and I am fairly confident that I will be able to get A's and A*'s at my A-levels.

So... Are they good enough for a prestigious university? Any university suggestions? (If it helps, I am in the South West.)

Thank you a lot.^^
Not many uni's take too much notice to your GCSE's unless you're applying to Oxbridge or medicine, as long as you pass (or sometimes B) in maths and English.

However if you're aiming for the very top, Uni's like Edinburgh say that "preference is given to candidates with a high number of A/A* grades at GCSE" - therefore if you can get straight As you are well set for a top uni.

But ultimately it all comes down to A Levels - you could get 100% in every GCSE subject but if you mess your A Levels up harshly you may/will struggle to find a place.

For any uni suggestions, go onto http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ables/rankings - ignore the order in which they're ranked as it doesn't really hold much weight but the top 20 are generally considered the best uni's. Generally. Suggest working your way down, looking at courses you're interested in, and predicted grades if you think it's a viable option
Michiyo
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thank you both for your answers. So, if I manage to get A* at all of these, then they will be good enough. I was wondering, though, did I take too few subjects? :/ Is there any way I can do more GCSEs now?
Buxtonwater
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Michiyo)
Thank you both for your answers. So, if I manage to get A* at all of these, then they will be good enough. I was wondering, though, did I take too few subjects? :/ Is there any way I can do more GCSEs now?
I think (THINK) Oxbridge want about at least 6 A*'s, although you do have less GCSEs than most people applying (Most people have 11 or 12) it might be worth considering taking one or two more, you can take extra GCSEs now, you could either go to evening lessons or you could enter yourself and do your own learning.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (31)
32.29%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (45)
46.88%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (19)
19.79%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.04%

Watched Threads