Are films more looks than content these days? Watch

Queen Cersei
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've just read a review of Interstellar that describes it as a visual spectacle... similar to Avatar and Gravity. But have films these days lost the focus on decent content as they get too excited by new visual technology?
Bubzeh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
With all due respect, there's an Interstellar discussion on the board so please use that.
Anonymous263
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
if you think that interstellar is just a visual spectacle then i suggest you actually go and watch it.
BefuddledPenguin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The only films that are pure spectacle are Michael Bay films, and they tend to get very poor critical reception, especially the Transformers films, so I'd say that the majority of films do have some substance. One annoying thing though is that these spectacle films do extremely well at the box office because many people see spectacle films in cinema and substance films at home. Though most films now incorporate both spectacle and substance to varying degrees, such as superhero films, which wouldn't sell if they were purely spectacle or purely substance.
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Queen Cersei)
I've just read a review of Interstellar that describes it as a visual spectacle... similar to Avatar and Gravity. But have films these days lost the focus on decent content as they get too excited by new visual technology?
The one thing that annoys me is when films made for 3D put sections in purely to make the 3D worth while - scenes that add nothing to the story
Kenan and Kel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you want quality content, TV is the first choice these days.
Sex God
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Queen Cersei)
This is the stupidest **** I've read all night. You must not watch very many movies to say this.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
If you only ever watch Hollywood blockbusters then yes, looks do matter more than plot - but that has pretty much always been the case. There are many good films made every year which are not centred on visual spectacle.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (143)
60.08%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.62%
No- I want it (67)
28.15%
No- I don't want it (17)
7.14%

Watched Threads